Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2012, 06:20 PM

Default First Moose ..... and It's a Boone & Crockett!

I already posted this on the Sasky site, .........copied and pasted...hope that's ok

PART1

Most of you know that my boys and I were drawn for elk last year in a great zone where our family cabin is located. Things worked out well and we got two bulls. We spent a lot of time spotting and hunting and we sure did see a lot of moose in our travels. When it came time to put in for the draw, we knew what our zone preference would be. Besides, hunting out the "back door" of our cabin is great!

We split up our applications in the hopes that one of us would get drawn and it turned out to be me!

I received some pretty interesting texts from Tuffymitch throughout the fall while I impatiently waited for the October 1st season opener. He lives 5 miles from my cabin and logs many backroad miles every fall hunting birds, plus he's a good friend. He's got a pretty good handle on where the moose, elk, and deer are.

Here's a couple of them that got me revved up...

Quote:
It was -7 this morning, seen 41 moose in between ***** and ***** 15 bulls, 2 nice ones 50"
Quote:
Just seen an absolute Monster Moose south of ******. WOW! Unbelievable! Tried getting a pic but couldn't get close enough
BEERSLAYER: Ok, If you're excited, I'm really excited.

Quote:
One of the biggest bulls I've seen since 3 years ago! Yeah it takes a lot to get me rattled and I am rattled!
And with that, the big boy vanished..........

Sunday September 30th we met up to go for a little sightseeing tour and found moose right away. We had just passed an intersection when I looked back in time to see the back end of a moose crossing the road. We swung around and went back to check it out and found an absolute brute of a bull breeding a cow within a few yards of the edge of the road. They were in some bush so we couldn't get any pictures but we could see he had an enormous body, lots of tines, and a great looking drop tine on his left side. I knew if I saw him the next morning I'd shoot him in a heartbeat. Rumour has it that some locals called him out the next day and ummmm passed him up.

In total we saw 4 bulls, 4 cows, and 2 calves on the evening tour but no sign of the monster when we hit his home turf.

This is one of the smaller ones we saw.

We talked things over and made a plan for the next morning. Blair figured that he could get away and go for a tour with me. That sounded good, he's got the eyes of an eagle x 10.

It was a short night and by 6:20 am we were off to see what we could find. We started seeing moose right away but nothing quite big enough to shoot. I figured that 50 inches wide was my minimum standard for opening day and we weren't seeing anything close.

It was almost 7 when we were approaching the area where the monster was thought to be hanging out. We were worried that he might be holed up with a cow and would never show himself but when we got to a certain volunteer canola field there was not one but two enormous bulls in it.

We got the binoculars out and Blair started to get pretty excited. "That's him, that's the bull you want to shoot Keith!" Blair was getting pretty wired up, a condition that lasted for the next two days. In fact, I'm pretty sure he still hasn't calmed down.

It was pretty cool, these two huge bulls were slowly closing the distance between themselves while grunting and swaying all the way. We thought we were going to see an epic battle but the monster changed direction a bit and vanished into a bush, possibly gone forever. Ireally wondered if I'd see him again.

We figured we better go in after him and we passed by the other 50++ at about a hundred yards as we headed for the edge of the bush. Let me tell you it was tough passing by that other bull, I would have shot him without a second thought any other morning.

The big 50++ was hurting pretty bad, the monster must have just hung a licking on him and he was barely able to limp a hundred yards or so. We kept on going and reached the edge of the bush.

The monster was still in there and Blair could see a little bit of black hair through the trees. He started calling and the bull started coming. Wow, talk about exciting! Blair and the bull were calling to each other and the big guy kept coming at us. Blair was out of breath and I was thinking he's either really excited or really out of shape .We could hear the bull grunting, see him swaying back and forth as he broke branches while closing the distance between him and us but I still had no clear shot. Finally, at about 40 yards he stepped into a clearing and turned broadside. PERFECT!

I picked a spot on his chest and shot, he was rocked pretty hard and went down on his knees but got back up. He staggered a little and I shot again. He wasn't going anywhere but he wasn't going down either so I put a third shot into him. With that he tipped and it was over.

Here's what we saw when we walked up to him.

Unfortunatly he died right in the middle of the muskeg swamp, a few feet over and he would have been on dry ground. If we would have been 5 minutes earlier we would have caught him out in the field.

Of course the first thing we did was take a couple of quick pictures and text our family and friends. To show how quick news travels these days, I think I shot him about 7:01 and the rumour about me shooting it was on MOD by 7:10. Pretty incredible.

I was really happy with how the whole thing went down. If we had just pulled up to the field and shot him standing there ......... well, that wouldn't have been quite right. Him disappearing into the bush and us having to call him back sure added a lot of drama and uncertainty to the hunt. It was incredible!

Last edited by BeerSlayer1; 10-04-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:20 PM

Part 2

With those great rolled fronts he looks just like a bulldozer.

I had brought my snowmobile trailer along on the trip and my simple plan was to shoot a bull standing in a canola field and winch him on using a come along, forget about all this complicated moose hunting stuff involving chainsaws, winches and quads. Ha, after a quick look at our predicament I could see the joke was on me.

Blair made a quick call to JimiHat who lives in the area and was a few miles away and told him we needed help. Let me tell you when you have a moose down in the middle of a swamp a 6 foot 7 inch 350 pound friendly giant is a good guy to call .

Tuff, Jimi and Beer.

We started to try and extract the bull from the swamp but the quad wouldn't budge it so we started winching. That worked for a little while but then we were stuck, the bull wouldn't move. We decided to get the guts out of the bull and lighten it up.

About this time some Louisiana goose hunters showed up to see the big bull. It was pretty funny, those guys had never seen anything like this and must have taken a thousand pictures with their iPhones. I guess if you are used to looking at southern whitetails, a 1200 pound moose would be pretty impressive. It was about this time that I acquired a new nickname from them and went from BeerSlayer to Moose Killer.

So by this time we had ten guys helping us in the bush! A little bit of chainsawing and brute force and we got him out.........and those Louisiana boys filmed every moment. They sure got a huge kick out of the whole thing.

With two Boone and Crockett measurers along, it didn't take too long for the tape to come out and get some rough measurements done. They kept running through the numbers, adding them up and not believing what they were coming up with ......... about 200 net! That's when these guys really got excited.

Up until this point we thought the bull was small-bodied but it was just the huge antlers making the body look small. When we got him hanging we could see how big the bull really was. He was 602 pounds dressed and quartered at the butcher shop.

To put things in perspective you guys know just how big JimiHat is, don't you?

He'd been fighting for sure, he had chipped off a few points and cracked one of his horns.

That evening the two scorers went to work and scored the bull for Henry Kelsey. I have to say I was pretty impressed with the amount of time and attention to detail that they spent on every measurement.

Final numbers were 204 7/8" gross and 200 4/8" net. That's just crazy, I knew I had a good chance at getting a great bull but I never dreamed of actually getting one of this caliber.

This picture is from 2010 and was taken 3/4 of a mile from where I shot my bull. There's a very good chance it was the same bull. What do you think?

Old 10-04-2012, 06:25 PM

Wow what a brute. Thanks for taking the time to put a great story together. This gets me pumped for my late season antlered moose tag
Old 10-04-2012, 06:25 PM

Awesome moose congrats !!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Banned

Thats Fricken awesome,
Old 10-04-2012, 06:31 PM

Very nice, awesome story and fantastic pics!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 PM

Congrats on a true giant. Got the pic of him in the slough from a buddy earlier this week!!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 PM

What a massive bull!!! Congrats!!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 PM

ya, I notice so many dudes these days making their huge deer look stupid with pics of them way back.......

I always say those are the same guys that stick a sock in their underwear before they go to the bar.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:54 PM

Wow ..Wow Wow .. nice story and Great moose !!!! Grats .. Finally its your turn .. good job Dad ..the boys have a chore to beat that one..
here is your new hat .. wear it with pride

David
Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 PM

congrats man, what an awesome bull.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 PM

I enjoy hunting threads like this. Congrats to you on that beast of a Bull Moose!!

My favorite to eat... But least favorite to deal with after the shot. lol
Old 10-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Banned

A great hunt, and a great animal taken with good friends, doesn't get much better than that.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Banned

WOW,that's incredible,great story,awesome Booner Bull.....hunt of a lifetime!!
Congrats!!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:09 PM

Unreal bull!! Congrats! Thanks for putting up the story and pics!!
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 10-04-2012, 07:16 PM

Great bull, congrats.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:18 PM

Well done on the writing, I enjoyed it. That bull is ginormous!!!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:22 PM

ya, that thing is awesome.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Banned

Heck of an animal.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Banned

Default moose

WOW! Awesome! Congrats!!!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 PM

very nice
Old 10-04-2012, 07:33 PM

What a great story - thanks for sharing! Amazing. Congrats!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 PM

Loved the story you put down as well. You could almost feel the excitement.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:40 PM

Awesome bull ...congrats
Old 10-04-2012, 07:41 PM

WOW!!! What part of SK is that from? My folks have a cabin at Turtle Lake and I know there are a ton of moose in that country. Sure awesome to see such an AMAZING moose like that though....wow.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:52 PM

What a beast!

Way to go!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:12 PM

That is absolutely awesome. Great story and pics! Congratulations!

Stinky
Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 PM

Congratulations!!...great story and awesome looking moose
Old 10-04-2012, 09:37 PM

Congrats, that is a stud. It is nice to see the odd monster donkey..
Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 PM

WOW!!

Congratulations.