Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-23-2014, 09:02 AM

Good Job LA_bowhunter, impressive line up...

However I would NOT put 75% of bowhunters in your class...Im betting that regardless of head your results would be the same...because you practise, know your equipment, can shoot...tune both the bow and arrows and to each other...

Sad truth is mecanicals were invented for those who couldnt or dont for various reasons tune their bow, arrows and or practise...

They were meant to screw in and go hunting with"""""flys like a feild point accuracy""""

But as mentioned above in most cases its most likely even a good percentage of these shooters even their field points were not shooting good...even a fixed blade fishtailing , porpoising, or oscillating will/can have very poor results...even placed correctly...

I agree that it is most likely 50% not the mecanical broadheads fault as mentioned...

I would like to make shooters understand a mecanical head is not a cure all for bad arrow flight or poor shooting...and to simply screw on a mecanical broadhead the day before opening and go hunting is very unethical...

JMHO
Neil
Old 06-23-2014, 03:15 PM

Agreed Neil. There is no replacement for practice and using a well tuned bow (and no excuse to not have both). I have had success with every bow and broadhead I have used in the last 20 years for the reasons that you have stated. I know you have had similar success for the same reasons with the broadheads and equipment that you have used. I believe a person should use the equipment that they have confidence in. With that said, I like a broadhead that will be less influenced by external pressures when it comes time to make the shot. We all get pretty excited when the moment is happening!!

I could go off on a whole tangent on archers that don't know their equipment, their own abilities and the limitations they should impose on themselves but that would start a whole new discussion. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Good Job LA_bowhunter, impressive line up...

However I would NOT put 75% of bowhunters in your class...Im betting that regardless of head your results would be the same...because you practise, know your equipment, can shoot...tune both the bow and arrows and to each other...

Sad truth is mecanicals were invented for those who couldnt or dont for various reasons tune their bow, arrows and or practise...

They were meant to screw in and go hunting with"""""flys like a feild point accuracy""""

But as mentioned above in most cases its most likely even a good percentage of these shooters even their field points were not shooting good...even a fixed blade fishtailing , porpoising, or oscillating will/can have very poor results...even placed correctly...

I agree that it is most likely 50% not the mecanical broadheads fault as mentioned...

I would like to make shooters understand a mecanical head is not a cure all for bad arrow flight or poor shooting...and to simply screw on a mecanical broadhead the day before opening and go hunting is very unethical...

JMHO
Neil
Old 06-30-2014, 04:03 PM

I like the grim reaper razortips myself. Dropped a bull moose with a 100 gr. 1-3/8" head last year. This was my second kill with one and in both instances they have done the job nicely. They hold up well to punching through bone and leave lots of blood to follow. I've seen the videos of them punching through plywood at a severe angle and it was enough to convince me. I will keep using them until they let me down, although I have heard many good stories about the rage broadheads as well.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 PM

this year Im trying out nap spitfire 2" . They are a three blade expandable head. Before i used slicktricks 1 1/8" and loved them
Old 07-01-2014, 10:34 AM

Just curious, but why change if you loved them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot27 View Post
this year Im trying out nap spitfire 2" . They are a three blade expandable head. Before i used slicktricks 1 1/8" and loved them
Old 07-01-2014, 11:14 AM

I had a gift card and some of the bow hunters i know love mechanical. Just figured to give them a shot
Old 07-06-2014, 09:39 AM

I was lucky enough to cull 20 animals and tested a bunch of broadheads, fixed and mechanical, different angles and most shots at 20-30 yards. all fixed had pass throughs, only about 50% of mechanicals did. As a previous post, shot angle played a huge factor. for hunting I use German Kenetics (recommended by most Africa big game outfits, some places mechanicals are not even permitted) and have had pass throughs on all shots. have used Magnus stingers in the past with great results. take the time to tune your bow to shoot fixed broadheads, it could make a difference on that one shot of a lifetime.