Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-30-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty P. Bucket View Post
That's a fair comment I suppose Chuck; I know several shooters that just aren't happy unless they are shooting the latest and greatest.

I myself love vintage rifles and surplus beaters. When you shoot the average irons on some of them a 200 yard shot offhand can be a difficult one.

I am unimpressed with cartridge laws; my feeling is that just because some pinhead is shooting an 'acceptable' calibre - it doesn't mean he will be responsible with it. I have seen far too many self proclaimed experts trying shots on game they shouldn't have. How far is too far? 300? 400? 500?

I would LOVE to hunt with a handgun, or a .223 with a well made bullet. I can live with the limitations and if my cartridge costs me an animal because they are too far away to shoot at - that means better chances for you guys and I can live with that.

There are only two reasons to be out there and that is for meat and for fun - and those are the criteria to base your rifle choice on.
That's funny and a good point. I'm the largest proponent of legalizing the .223. But for me the .223 with a good bullet has something positive to give in return. Virtually no recoil at pennies a shot. I'm also not so sure that it's much of a slouch at 4 and 500 yds.