Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Banned

Default Making Coyote Drying Boards

Rather than resurrect an old thread that I found I figured that I'd start this new one. I just got my trapper's license this week and I'm chomping at the bit to get some snares out for coyotes. The problem is that I don't have any drying boards yet and I'd sooner make some rather than have to buy them.

I have the dimensions but I'm wondering what size of wood people are using to make solid drying boards. They don't recommend using plywood which would be too easy so the only thing that I can think of is to find softwood boards to use. If the large coyote boards are 1/2" to 5/8" thick and 9" at the widest point what type of board do I need to buy, or does it involve ripping a 2" x 10" lengthwise? Would I be better off making split boards from 1" x 3" boards?

Also, before I run out and buy a bunch of new equipment, if anyone has any spare equipment laying around that they want to turn into cash and you don't live too far I'd be interested in hearing from you. For now, I'll only be snaring coyotes so anything related to the fur handling of them is a priority, particularly a fleshing beam. Later in March/April I will be trapping muskrats so I might be interested in any equipment regarding them. Thanks all!
Old 12-20-2013, 04:54 PM

I have used 1x4 spruce with the nose wired together and the bottom adjustable
Old 12-20-2013, 04:57 PM

1x4 spruce has a true measurement of 3/4" thick and 3.5" wide. with a space of 2" at the bottom it will give you the 9-10" you are looking for. the split board also allows air to travel up the hide making is a little quicker drying and easier for the flip
Old 12-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Banned

How concerned does a guy have to be about the 3/4" thickness of the 1" x 4" board?
1/2" to 5/8" is recommended so there's a difference of 1/4" to 1/8".

Old 12-20-2013, 05:37 PM

your best bet go to halfords or trappers assosiation store in westlock buy one board use it as a pattern i find spit boards the best way easier to turn hides also your size will be what auction mart wants less docking
Old 12-20-2013, 05:45 PM

I made a bunch of my own split boards. Bought one at halfords and made rest to match. My fur buyer was happy with my furs so I guess my boards did the job.

At 30$ a pop for stretchers at halfords that's a hard pill to swallow if you want to buy a dzn. 8' 1x3's are like 2-3$ each. I think I made 8 boards myself for the price of one board from halfords
Old 12-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Banned

On page 59 of the Halfords catalogue, they list coyote split boards for $16.95. I think that I'll go ahead and buy one and just use it to pattern my own like you fellas did, that'd be easiest.

Still wondering about this though:

How concerned does a guy have to be about the 3/4" thickness of the 1" x 4" board?
Old 12-20-2013, 06:14 PM

I just made 4 more last night. I buy boards at Home depot that are 3 inches wide and I think half inch thick. I put the 2 together and trace form a board I bought the right curve at the nose end. At the bottom I screw 1 board to a 2" x2" piece. At the top I screw a few holes at the nose end and put twine through the hole to hold them together. You can also use a piece of leather or plastic as well screwed to each board as an option as well.
At the bottom where I screwed the one end on the other board is free and I just drill a hole in it for a nail and nail it down when I stretch the hide to the right size.
Hope that makes sense?
Also forgot to add on the sides of the board I round the edges with a sander or a rasp.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

Run em through a planer, ok, u prob don't have one, but maybe your neighbor does.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa View Post
your best bet go to halfords or trappers assosiation store in westlock buy one board use it as a pattern i find spit boards the best way easier to turn hides also your size will be what auction mart wants less docking
Better off just going to NAFA website and making a board according to their specs. I know the Marten boards Halfords sells are to wide at the head and don't match NAFA's size spec.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Banned

I've got the dimensions for the boards for all of the species. I'll head to Halford's tomorrow and pick up a coyote split board and then hit Home Depot to have a look for the 1/2" boards that Nube mentioned. What you wrote makes sense to me Nube and I shouldn't have a problem following what you wrote. That'll sort out the yote boards and I'll make a cardboard template for my muskrat board. I love it when a plan comes together!
Old 12-20-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
On page 59 of the Halfords catalogue, they list coyote split boards for $16.95. I think that I'll go ahead and buy one and just use it to pattern my own like you fellas did, that'd be easiest.

Halfords online says $27.95 not sure which price is right. I bought mine a couple years ago and remember it being around this price. Either way it will make a good template. You might also want to grab a fox stretcher while you at it. I snared a few last year without even knowing they were in the area I was setting

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eS...ethod=Contains
Old 12-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
Halfords online says $27.95 not sure which price is right. I bought mine a couple years ago and remember it being around this price. Either way it will make a good template. You might also want to grab a fox stretcher while you at it. I snared a few last year without even knowing they were in the area I was setting

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eS...ethod=Contains
Oh shoot yeah, I was looking in an old catalogue......they're $27.95 now. Thanks for reminding me about the fox, there's been at least one in the area I'm going to start setting snares in. I'll get it sorted out.....eventually.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:50 PM

I just bought 6 out of the states cost me $90
Old 12-20-2013, 07:00 PM

Hey I made my own from those specs from nafa. I purchased a 20' piece of 1"x10" board from hardwear store and used a plainer to plane the true 3/4" to 5/8" then I used a tablesaw to cut the 9 3/4" to the 9"width. I marked out all the measurements and cut with jig saw then routered the edges to 1/2" taper. To all the boards I made 3 coyote and one racoon out of the 20'. Also i made a fleashing beam lots of shaping. I put in probably 10 hours couple each night. After the screwing around I talked to a guy and he will skin fleash wash sew and stretch for a good price. So my long winded story some hutterite colony's will do all the real work to trapping for a good deal. Trade for cash, beer, 2 to 1 coyote they get one whole you get two finished. Make them a deal. I just started trapping this year I found with work and family my trapping time weekends and evenings there isn't enough hours in a day. Getting the coyotes done gave me more time to go after more. Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:45 PM

I really don't think that 1/8 inch is going to make a big difference. I made my split boards out of 3/4x4 spruce and did not plane them. I've never heard of anyone planing their boards.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAPPER92 View Post
I really don't think that 1/8 inch is going to make a big difference. I made my split boards out of 3/4x4 spruce and did not plane them. I've never heard of anyone planing their boards.
The thickness certainly doesn't seem to be a big issue. I bought a split coyote and a split fox board from Halford's and both are 3/4" thick. I have several 1" x 4" boards left over from a fence job that I'm going to use. Thanks all!

Now to figure out how to make a fleshing beam.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:00 AM

Dave I bought the plastic fleshing beam from halfords and the metal attachment to screw it into the wall. It works great and worth the money I spent on it. I would recomend spending the time catching an extra yote or 2 to pay for it then making one myself. As well as a decent fleshing tool
Old 12-23-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1997 View Post
Better off just going to NAFA website and making a board according to their specs. I know the Marten boards Halfords sells are to wide at the head and don't match NAFA's size spec.
That's what I did. Went to the NAFA website and took the dimension's for Weasel boards off of there because they did not match what the other board templates were telling me. Built em' in shop class, seems to be the easiest and NAFA gets exactly what they want.