Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-18-2023, 01:23 PM

Default Lac st Anne - smoke n mirrors

A little joke, literally Look how cute he is!

20230916_181058low.jpg

Saturday at Lac St Anne, smoky but dead calm, lake was almost a mirror. Alberta Beach launch still deep enough for my little 14' tub...

20230916_192255low.jpg

Got a some quality hours in, about 3 to 7pm. Found a shelf from 10' to 20' about halfway up the west end, and started getting lucky. Had 2 northern pike, about 4 of these little baby Walleye, then a barely-class-B 17" walleye! But I got clumsy, and he jumped outta my hands...partner was halfway through getting the phone out for the pic. Had a good laugh - all catch n release... wish I'd gripped on better to that 17"!

Cheap boat, cheap rods, cheap bait, but quality times. Can't wait to go again soon!

p.s. quick q for y'all - how do you manage your fish-handling, once they're aboard in the net? I can barely get a grip even w those gloves. I see guys holding the gills etc... aren't they sharp? some fins are sharp for sure...
Old 09-18-2023, 08:51 PM

Don’t use a net! Small Walleye are about the easiest fish to grab and release without a net. Grab them gently from the belly side just back of the gill plate and away you go.
Old 09-18-2023, 08:56 PM

I use a Kevlar mesh glove because I got thrashed by a big pike and have no desire to repeat the experience. Have to wash it several times after each trip because the slime gets worked in, but better than changing bandages.