Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
So a sheep that walks out of the mine in 438 is ok, but not a lion that walks out of a park into a legal hunting concession ?
If there is no permit for lion, then it isn't a legal hunting concession for lion. The fact that the hunt was illegal, turns people that would otherwise have no issue with this hunt against hunting. I am a hunter, and the fact that the hunt was illegal, and the hunter is a convicted poacher, prevents me from taking the side of the hunter, in this situation.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
part but not the whole. his opinions may help shape the world wide ethics of sport hunting but they are not the world wide ethics of sport hunting. that goes for me, you and all of Canada's hunters.
I have this question fish_e_o;

Being a hunter which I assume you are just like me, would you condone hunting let's say Kodiak or Alaskan Brown bears, out of a truck by a wildlife sanctuary boundary with a bow and at night with inferred head gear or spotlights?

I condone hunting with inferred myself, but only for ISIS.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If there is no permit for lion, then it isn't a legal hunting concession for lion. The fact that the hunt was illegal, turns people that would otherwise have no issue with this hunt against hunting. I am a hunter, and the fact that the hunt was illegal, and the hunter is a convicted poacher, prevents me from taking the side of the hunter, in this situation.
I'm talking about every situation elkhunter, I was replying to his questioning the morality of shooting a lion on a park boundary. Not just this lion in particular, which we of course know was illegal because of the lack of lion quota
Old 07-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
SCI is taking the view that they broke the law because of the lack of lion on quota. And they're doing damage control because the antis are painting everybody with the same brush. Same as DSC

Do you know how many Lions, Leopards and Elephants are killed each year on park boundaries ??? It's a common practice that's been going on since Safari hunting began. Read Rosevelts stuff on hunting park boundaries in Kenya, it's nothing new.

So a sheep that walks out of the mine in 438 is ok, but not a lion that walks out of a park into a legal hunting concession ?
Walking out, fair game.

Lured out, by dragging a fresh kill IN the park...illegal and unethical as hell. How can you excuse thst?
Old 07-30-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkivory View Post

Being a hunter which I assume you are just like me, would you condone hunting let's say Kodiak or Alaskan Brown bears, out of a truck by a wildlife sanctuary boundary with a bow and at night with inferred head gear or spotlights?

I condone hunting with inferred myself, but only for ISIS.
It's not legal to use artificial lights in Alaska, but you can certainly shoot a brown bear at night with a bow on a park boundary. Not sure where the truck comes into play.

In Scandinavia they hunt brown bears exclusively at night with artificial lights, different parts of the world have different laws.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Walking out, fair game.

Lured out, by dragging a fresh kill IN the park...illegal and unethical as hell. How can you excuse thst?
They dragged to the bait just like any other big cat hunt. Where does it say they did the drag inside the park ? Just because the antis keep saying they lured him out doesn't mean they literally drug bait behind the truck while the lion followed lol
Old 07-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:

i personally disagree with truck hunters. it is my opinion that when hunting you get more out of it than you put in and when you put everything you have into it the outcome is more than you could ever expect. but that being said i do not wish to condemn hunters acting in a legal fashion.

i know there are reasons why some would choose to truck hunt physical disabilities being one of them and i see that as a legitimate reason. if their actions are safe and do not impact me (no loaded guns in the truck no reckless shooting) i see no issue.

as far as night time hunting with bows fill your boots in places where that is legal. i don't see that as a potential danger to anyone.

outside of a wildlife sanctuary? well that sounds spot on to me, you know the boundary all hunting is to be done outside that line.

so as long as they aren't breaking any laws i see no issue.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
They dragged to the bait just like any other big cat hunt. Where does it say they did the drag inside the park ? Just because the antis keep saying they lured him out doesn't mean they literally drug bait behind the truck while the lion followed lol
ya i didn't see anything stating they dragged inside the park if so that is not good but like i said i doubt the hunter sniffed the scent trail to see where it originated from.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
i personally disagree with truck hunters. it is my opinion that when hunting you get more out of it than you put in and when you put everything you have into it the outcome is more than you could ever expect. but that being said i do not wish to condemn hunters acting in a legal fashion.

i know there are reasons why some would choose to truck hunt physical disabilities being one of them and i see that as a legitimate reason. if their actions are safe and do not impact me (no loaded guns in the truck no reckless shooting) i see no issue.

as far as night time hunting with bows fill your boots in places where that is legal. i don't see that as a potential danger to anyone.

outside of a wildlife sanctuary? well that sounds spot on to me, you know the boundary all hunting is to be done outside that line.

so as long as they aren't breaking any laws i see no issue.
I heard reports that he shot that lion while standing in the back up truck? I was using my analogy as a direct comparison.

To me this Dentist is a coward and a Trophy hunter that needed to fill his quota of self-esteem and trophy room with another trophy only to brag about it.

Personally I do not believe that the majority of us in the hunting community would agree with his tactics. His (accomplishment?) has only given us hunters a black eye when we don't need any more help in diminishing our love of hunting, in this modern and overly politically correct age.

He should have done it the old fashioned way like Fred Bear did, on the ground in a fair chase scenario, with a bow and three guides with rifles to back him out if things went south.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
I heard reports that he shot that lion while standing in the back up truck?
i heard reports that he kills seven babies before breakfast only after devouring their souls and condemning them to hell for all eternity

EVERY

SINGLE

DAY...

it could be true but it could also be anti's throwing mud trying to say anything bad about him that they can
Old 07-30-2015, 11:01 AM

The saddest thing about this whole situation is how everyone in the social media is so concerned about a dead animal. What about all murder, raping and overall pillaging of the villages is Africa? Oh wait that's been covered before. Nothing new here. Jeez.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:02 AM

No matter what the circumstances were this is going to severely hurt all hunters in the long run. If we thought there were a lot of anti's before I'm sure they just doubled. That is the outcome legal or not, right or wrong.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:02 AM

Three sides to every story. Likely never know the full truth.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
i heard reports that he kills seven babies before breakfast only after devouring their souls and condemning them to hell for all eternity

EVERY

SINGLE

DAY...

it could be true but it could also be anti's throwing mud trying to say anything bad about him that they can
Would I hunt lions absolutely,YES! count me in! I happen to think it would be really action packed, especially if it went down like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEIGqD80N6U

Talk about exciting!
Old 07-30-2015, 11:10 AM

Good interview...

http://www.cbc.ca/player/AudioMobile...ID/2672751921/

LC
Old 07-30-2015, 11:10 AM

This lion has done nothing but add to the demise of our heritage. Our group is arguing on speculation at best which only adds to the detriment of our sport.

There are laws in place where hunting is involved which will ultimately determine the fate of all parties. Social media has done nothing other than blow this situation out of proportion and allow the uneducated to argue right from wrong.

Dentist or drilling rig consultant, convictions of wildlife infractions do paint a picture for both the anti and pro hunting communities.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Would I hunt lions absolutely,YES! count me in! I happen to think it would be really action packed, especially if it went down like this!

Talk about exciting!
bahahaha the video right after it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-JnCbR83VA

you'll never know if you scream like a girl when you're attacked by a leopard until it happens
Old 07-30-2015, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
bahahaha the video right after it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-JnCbR83VA

you'll never know if you scream like a girl when you're attacked by a leopard until it happens
I think I would be more focused on shooting them screaming, if I screwed up and it got on top of me I am sure I would be screaming like a little girl!

Last edited by elkivory; 07-30-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
ya i didn't see anything stating they dragged inside the park if so that is not good but like i said i doubt the hunter sniffed the scent trail to see where it originated from.
I didn't see anything about where it was shot out of a truck either but it likely adds drama to the evil dentist story
Old 07-30-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Talk about exciting!
Just so you're aware elkivory that lion in the video was wounded the previous day, so kinda unethical by your definition.

Just thought you should know what kind of hunt you were actually interested in experiencing.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I heard reports that he shot that lion while standing in the back up truck?
Thats probably just Anti's trying to add fuel to the fire
Old 07-30-2015, 11:39 AM

don't know much about this story, was anything actually done illegally? Or is the uproar about the lion is use to being seen in the park he stepped out and got shot?
Old 07-30-2015, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by north american hunter View Post
Thats probably just Anti's trying to add fuel to the fire
I saw Jimmy Kimmel's rendition on the news. Jimmy should hang out with Bruce Jenner, Opps sorry Caitlyn Jenner and get in touch with his feminine side.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
don't know much about this story, was anything actually done illegally? Or is the uproar about the lion is use to being seen in the park he stepped out and got shot?
There was no permit for the hunt so therefore it was illegal
Old 07-30-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
Yes. And perhaps.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
So you pick up a bomb and deliver it to my door....

Yah, I will shoot the messenger.

Smarten up or face the fire.

There is much to be revealed before accurate opinions can be formed on wether or not this event was legal or illegal. Either way, those desiring to end lion hunting and even hunting in general have been given a nuclear device....
Wow, just started to read this thread but I had to stop already to post a comment, so your saying that waterninja single handly killed all hunting, give your head a shake, I guess if he didn't make a post it would of never found it's way on here, geeshhhh!!!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:06 PM

236 posts, think were done here, been around the loop several times and some people just like speakinggggg.
Closed Thread