Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-29-2015, 11:18 AM

Default OHV Travel and Firearms

I am sure this has been hashed out 2 million times but..... i still see some grey areas and I am not a legal professional. Copy and pasted from the online 2015 Alberta hunting regs.

It is unlawful to:......

"carry a weapon (see definition) on an OHV between 1 hour before sunrise and the following noon during an open season for big game* on public land in the following WMUs: 102-166, 200-260, 300-351, 354-360, 400-446, 507, 508, 514, 521, 522, 526 and 841. This does not apply to a person who is traveling on a direct route to or from a location accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel and his or her isolated campsite, and the weapons and ammunition are carried out of view in separate locked containers (and remain locked during the trip). Also, the restriction does not apply in a WMU when the only big game season open is a spring black bear season.
* this restriction applies to all hunters (including bird game hunters)."

I am understanding that as long as my firearm and ammo are seperately locked away and the route i am on is direct and " accessible by vehicles designed for highway travel" I dont have to use a highway vehicle? I could be riding my quad down a logging road to my camp before noon????? Also am I correct to understand that a firearm in a locked gun boot would be considered " carried out of view"?

And GO!! lol
Old 07-29-2015, 12:44 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ight=quad+noon

Start again!!
Old 07-29-2015, 12:45 PM