Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-06-2018, 09:51 AM

Default growing up in the 60' & 70's memory lane

thinking back to when I was a boy growing up in the 60's and early 70's just outside of Langdon AB, the population and growth has sure taken it all away
all the different breeds and types of dogs my family had, that I some how some way tried to incorporate as hunting dogs,
there was my faithful boarder collie she was the best cattle dog ever, but she would join me on hunting safaris for jack rabbits,
we also had a delmation and chessie, at the time, that Delmation ( its hard to find a Delmation with natural hunting abilities this day and age) was an awesome dog for finding Huns, and pheasants, the chessie was great to, also she was one heck of a retriever for waterfowl,
I also had a love for Beagles, and they were true rabbit dogs, that occasionally rousted up pheasants and huns,
those prairie road allowances , rr right of ways, irrigation canals, and fence lines were a smorgasbord, for a young boy with a single shot 22, or 410, or 20 gauge, and his dogs,
the miles we put on walking, and the different breeds and types of dogs I tried turning into hunting dogs, still amazes me some were really great natural hunters, like the delmation and chessie, & beagles for rabbits, some were just happy to be along for the walk , like my boarder collie,
there was no such thing as a truly trained hunting dog , and things like hunt tests, and, obedience classes,
one thing there wasn't was big game, but a boys imagination, with a little help from a once read story in out door life magazine from Jack O Connor could turn those jack rabbit hunts into an African safari easily enough,
what was it like for others while growing up in 60's and 70's
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 02-06-2018, 10:27 AM

After I got my driver's license in the mid 60s a buddy and I would head east on 16th Ave. Just outside the city limits there were lots of sloughs where we had permission to shoot ducks. When the season opened there were lots of pheasants to be had even without a dog, however my buddy had an awesome black lab. A couple years earlier when I was about 14 and just started shooting we used to talk guns and shooting with one of our teachers who was an avid reloader and even mentioned reloading in science class. I remember him giving us a problem to solve. If you have a pound of powder which is 7000 grains and each load required 40 grains, how many loads per pound?

Times have changed
Old 02-06-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
After I got my driver's license in the mid 60s a buddy and I would head east on 16th Ave. Just outside the city limits there were lots of sloughs where we had permission to shoot ducks. When the season opened there were lots of pheasants to be had even without a dog, however my buddy had an awesome black lab. A couple years earlier when I was about 14 and just started shooting we used to talk guns and shooting with one of our teachers who was an avid reloader and even mentioned reloading in science class. I remember him giving us a problem to solve. If you have a pound of powder which is 7000 grains and each load required 40 grains, how many loads per pound?

Times have changed
we had a teacher at chestermere high , that was a big time hunter and gun nut
he would always bring his latest acquisitions of a new rifle or shotgun
in and call a Cpl of us in at lunch break to show us, we always thought we were in trouble, when he held us back at lunch time, another thing he would out of the blues was show up at the door Friday night to invite us on a duck or pheasant hunt, I still keep in touch with him
shoot where their
Old 02-06-2018, 11:02 AM

My dad used to take me out of school 2 days per year, my choice, to hunt with him. He wrote a note telling teacher that he was taking me hunting. Teacher sent me to the office to get principals OK.

Good ole Mr. Fredell was a bit suspicious of the note but gave his OK. When leaving his office he suddenly asked what type of gun I was going to use. I think he may have been trying to trick me,

I replied Model 12 Winchester 12 gauge with a 30 inch Nickel steel barrel. I was bit of a gun geek and knew everything about my gun. Mr Fredell just gave me a wink and a smile and said OK again
Old 02-06-2018, 10:28 PM

Monday night

Shooting .22’s with DND ammo in the basement of the junior high school. Guns and ammo stored in a locked closet. An actual range in the basement of a junior high school.

One thing i liked about Fairview
Old 02-06-2018, 11:43 PM
Banned

We all have hunting stories. I wonder how many kids these days could set points in a distributor with a match book?
Old 02-07-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Monday night

Shooting .22’s with DND ammo in the basement of the junior high school. Guns and ammo stored in a locked closet. An actual range in the basement of a junior high school.

I remember going down to the Police station every Sat. morning and shooting in the basement range with the Sea Cadets.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-10-2018, 10:24 AM

Default Gun Range In School Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Monday night

When I went to Victoria Composite High School in Edmonton in the late 70's
There was a gun range in the basement, Mrs Luberts taught marksmanship, remember it like yesterday!
Old 02-08-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post

Times have changed
Had a principle in jounior high. Who’d take us skeet shooting or out to his acreage where we shot a 9mm and other various hand guns. I don’t recall permission slips being needed.

We also spent time using his chainsaw and axe. We cut him a lot of firewood. Every Friday afternoon was outdoor ed day in 1977

BW
Old 02-08-2018, 05:41 PM

Blasting ducks before school at the north end of Chestermere with a $50 Cooey 12 ga single shot bought new at Woolco.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Blasting ducks before school at the north end of Chestermere with a $50 Cooey 12 ga single shot bought new at Woolco.
I remember shooting ducks between the main lake and a smaller lake to the north. If we did not have time to go any where else this spot often produced a limit. Where we shot was next to a road and most of us crossed the fence into the field. Sometimes there may have been at least 20 shooters within a couple hundred yards. Sometimes when the shooting started t would rain ducks but often they were so high that it would have taken anti aircraft guns
Old 02-09-2018, 08:14 AM

Sidney I Robinson mostly known as SIR. out of Winnipeg, Manitoba. A fantastic outdoors catalog. With always a great cover picture. They talk of the Sears Christmas catalog, that was no match for SIR.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
if you went to chestermere high I bet I can name a few teachers of that time
shoot where their
Old 02-09-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
if you went to chestermere high I bet I can name a few teachers of that time
FLHS, y'know-the hood.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
thinking back to when I was a boy growing up in the 60's and early 70's just outside of Langdon AB, the population and growth has sure taken it all away
all the different breeds and types of dogs my family had, that I some how some way tried to incorporate as hunting dogs,
there was my faithful boarder collie she was the best cattle dog ever, but she would join me on hunting safaris for jack rabbits,
we also had a delmation and chessie, at the time, that Delmation ( its hard to find a Delmation with natural hunting abilities this day and age) was an awesome dog for finding Huns, and pheasants, the chessie was great to, also she was one heck of a retriever for waterfowl,
I also had a love for Beagles, and they were true rabbit dogs, that occasionally rousted up pheasants and huns,
those prairie road allowances , rr right of ways, irrigation canals, and fence lines were a smorgasbord, for a young boy with a single shot 22, or 410, or 20 gauge, and his dogs,
the miles we put on walking, and the different breeds and types of dogs I tried turning into hunting dogs, still amazes me some were really great natural hunters, like the delmation and chessie, & beagles for rabbits, some were just happy to be along for the walk , like my boarder collie,
there was no such thing as a truly trained hunting dog , and things like hunt tests, and, obedience classes,
one thing there wasn't was big game, but a boys imagination, with a little help from a once read story in out door life magazine from Jack O Connor could turn those jack rabbit hunts into an African safari easily enough,
what was it like for others while growing up in 60's and 70's
That sounds a lot like my youth growing up in Manitoba chasing sharp tails hungarians ruffies usually had Labs though and can't forget the waterfowl hunting in the Interlake areas are Whitetail seasons were closed for three years from 75 to 78 so I didn't shoot my first big game till I was 19

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 09:28 PM

Walking to school with the cooey 410, hunted grouse on the way there. Handed it into the office, picked it up after school and repeat the walk. On the days I wasn't the old man's farm hand, take the cooey and be gone the whole day in the bush. I was around 10 or 11. I think us kids of the 60"s and 70's where the last of those times. Wonder what memories of freedom today's kids will have?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:55 PM

Reading all these old stories is depressing when you see how good it used to be and what it has deteriorated to today.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:51 PM

Gun rack in the back window of Dad's pick up.

No quads, and not many trikes.

Using a wheel barrow to pack out a moose.

Walking in to the local Mcleod's store and picking up shot shells or any ammunition for that matter right off the shelf.

No draws for antlered moose, or any antlered game if I recall correctly.

Maybe not so much a '60's or 70's thing, but in '74 at 12 years old having a beer with Dad and some uncles after the first moose of the hunt was hanging on the game pole! This one will stay with me till my last breath.

BW
Old 02-08-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

No draws for antlered moose, or any antlered game if I recall correctly.
IIRC in the early to mid 60s a general big game license was issued with one tag which could be used for male moose, elk or deer where there was an open season and antlerless for a few days near the end of season. A white tail tag was an extra in some areas and antelope was for either sex and license was not restricted to specific wmus and was available on a write in request and draw.

I got my first bird license when I was 13. I had to say I was 14. Cost $5.00. I think my first big game license also cost $5.00.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Reading all these old stories is depressing when you see how good it used to be and what it has deteriorated to today.
No kidding eh!. I'm so happy to have grown in the era and have such fond memories...alas.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:25 PM

Default Growing up

Sure is sad to think of what the world has become.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Sure is sad to think of what the world has become.
you sure are right.........at least I'm able to look back and remember all the things you guys have mentioned.

pity isn't it, that when we're gone, no one will even know those good times existed. guess i'm getting old and emotional, 'cause it really makes me sad times can't be like that anymore.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:31 PM

We must have grown up in the greatest of all times. That's why I find it so hard to let go, and just enjoy what we have now, I've become such a grouch, upset with every change that comes along. A hard right conservative.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:36 PM

Not the 60's or 70's but similar experience. I was turning eleven when I came to this country. It was 1980. Dad bought his first gun in Canada at the Army and Navy in New West. It was a Marlin 336. We went hunting just past Maple Ridge in our baby blue 1968 Ford truck. Imagine 2 kids and 3 adults in a single cab. I was able to fit between the door and the driver. Even though it was the early 80's in the Lower Mainland, there were still guns visible in the back windows of trucks. Bought my first pellet gun at the swap meet on Lougheed Highway. Cost me $2. A kid at my school gave me $2 for a Stan Smyl and Tiger Williams hockey card. I think he got in trouble for doing that. I think everything started changing in Vancouver after Expo 86.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:36 AM

It will be the late 70's, early 80's for me.

Muscle cars galore in high school. Bleach burn outs. Thinking line lock was the best invention ever. A&W on 118th st to see all kinds of HP.

Arcades everywhere.

Smoke filled pool halls in the basement of strip malls that the parents warned never go into. As kids we would walk down the long stairs and peek in the door and think that place is cool. Once we were old enough and actually went in, meh, played the arcade games.

Guns, antlers and hides from the dads who hunted for show & tell.

Trying to grab a bumper on a car and slide with your feet behind it on the ways to school on the neighborhood snow covered roads.

Street Hockey in the winter almost every night and every weekend. CAR!!!

Tobogganing the local hill if we were not playing hockey

Raiding Gardens
Old 02-20-2018, 10:59 AM

In the 60s and 70s, if you looked at the vehicles parked along the street, this was a common sight.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
We must have grown up in the greatest of all times. That's why I find it so hard to let go, and just enjoy what we have now, I've become such a grouch, upset with every change that comes along. A hard right conservative.
30-40 years from now today's youth will look back fondly on these days as the best of times. It's because we were young the past was so good. Getting old sucks.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:56 PM

Growing up in the 60s in Coutts and sneaking into Montana to hunt in the coulees coming off the Sweetgrass Hills and along the Milk.

Then moving to Saskatoon and going every Friday after school to line up down the stairs of the Police Station to use their indoor range.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:15 PM

Saving up odd job and babysitting money. Taking the bus downtown to the WW Arcade. Buying a scoped Lee Enfield with a sling and two boxes of ammo for $55 bucks. Taking the bus back home with my new treasures. I was 14 and nobody batted an eye.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:55 PM

Loved that store

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk