Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-22-2010, 05:46 AM

Default elk and moose

Hi there, I am new to Alberta and am looking for a partner for the fall. I know that its a little early in the year, but that said its never too early. I am mostly interested in bowhunting Elk and Moose, I LIKE hiking and given that I'm from BC I am very comfortable in mountains. I am a young(22) guy, but I have had a fair bit of success...... back in BC. If you're interested, let me know....I will be be hopefully getting out and doing a bit of scouting, mostly had the peace region in mind, but will probably take most of sept and oct off. I'm in Edmonton, and look forward to hearing form you. Jason
Old 04-27-2010, 10:07 AM

Default Looking for Hunting Partner

Hi, I moved to Calgary in 2008 and had my first hunting season 2009.
got a whitetail and a mule. Looking for an partner for spring bear and big game in fall. 403 481 0757 Guenther
Old 06-17-2010, 02:10 PM

Hi all,

I have been hunting in Alberta for the last twenty-six past years. I was born east of Cow-town, and have had couple different hunting partners over the years. I have hunted both big game and birds. Right now I am seeking primarily a big game hunting partner.
Upon till ten years ago I did not hunt alone, but soured over dealing with a**holes. Since then I have hunted alone exclusively. The wife has kind of hinted that she does not want to have to call the RCMP to go find me some day, so I am hesitantly looking for a new hunting partner. Experience is not as important to me as much as attitude.
You should be:

•An ethical hunter.
•Not interested in “road” hunting, or in, “bending the rules”, AKA, poaching.
•Willing to hunt on foot – quads are not evil - but not a necessity.
•Willing to rough it – fifth wheels are not a requirement.
•Be in reasonable physical condition – I know CPR but that doesn’t mean I want to use it.
•Have a basic understanding of firearms safety and use – no 10000 meter shots.
•Be able to enjoy being outdoors – even if it is cold & wet.

My experience is mainly working & hunting in the central & northern foothills & mountains, although I am also familiar with the western north-country as well. I have in mind a one or two week Elk / Deer hunt in either WMU 344, or 353/354, (Berland river area) or shorter hunts in WMU 349 (Two-Creeks area)

The above WMU’s are general tags for all except Moose. If someone has knowledge of good spot that is on draw, I do have a priority 3 for Bull Elk, a priority 2 for both Buck & Doe White-tail & a priority 1 for Bull Moose.
(Just remember there are only seven days left for draws.)
Old 06-23-2010, 11:19 AM

Default Intro / Looking for partner

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a little bit now, and finally decided I should introduce myself.

I'm 26 live in Cochrane, work in South Calgary (heritage & Mcloud). I'm interested in all types of hunting, birds and big game. I've hunted grouse and the like back home in Northern MB, but haven't hunted anything since I moved out to Calgary for school about 8 years ago.

I've got a 4 month old choc lab pup that I'm hoping to train to retrieve, he seems to be doing good so far, but I'm almost to the limits of what I know how to train, but I ordered a couple books so we'll see how that goes.

Now for the hunting, I currently don't own any guns (just sent in the paperwork on my PAL). I'll be purchasing a 12 gauge, and maybe a BLR .300WSM (ideal but will probably looking for something used) before fall.
I plan on hunting some grouse by myself with the dog this fall, but would love to go with someone for ducks, geese and/or something bigger. No draws for me, but would be perfectly happy to tag along as a spectator/extra pair of hands. And if that sounds good to anyone, feel free to PM me and we can hook up for a beverage or two anytime.

I've got a truck, camping junk etc. Might buy a 12' aluminum boat soon as I finish my bathroom reno. GFs father has a quad I can borrow as well.

I'm also interested in fishing, though I know this is the hunting forum. I've never done much river fishing being from MB, but I'm planning on learning to fly fish over the summer as well.

Anyhow that was probably more long winded than I'd intended.

Have a great day everyone,

__
S
Old 06-23-2010, 01:09 PM

Hey everyone

I am always up for a good hunt!

I am looking for people to go duck/goose hunting with this fall, I have never done it, but dying to try it out!

As for big game, I am up for any type of hunt, I have a couple of guys that I'll be heading out with this fall, but eager to meet some new folks too!

Hunting mostly 400-402 this year - thats what I am planning anyways elk, WT and mulie's so drop me a line if anyone is interested or have room for another guy!

I have my own gear and truck, the only thing I am missing is a horse or a quad! lol, but I got 2 feet and a strong back! and love a good hike!
Old 06-23-2010, 01:34 PM

Also going to start hunting in Alberta this year, hoping to do some bird hunting and probably some big game. Have a Golden puppy I'm hoping will be able to retrieve birds atleast someday, but if not ah well.

I live SW of Calgary just outside Dewinton.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:53 PM

Default West of Edmonton

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry to say that my hunting partner died a couple months ago, so I may be interested in finding a new one.

I'm very much by the book, so poaching is a no-no with me. I'd rather hunt alone than have anything messy to deal with.

I like hunting deer and ruffies already but this year I really want to get into some ducks and geese.

I have a duck boat and some decoys, but migratory birds are new for me so I'd love to go with someone who has an idea how to hunt them, so if you've got some experience but no equipment, or you want to pool with someone with decoys, or you just want to do some puddle jumping send me a PM.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:07 PM

Default dog guy

I have lots of experience hunting both big game and water fowl. I hae a dog and if some one needs a partner with a dog I love to get out and work my dog, got decoys but missing a few blinds. drop me a line if you are looking in the Edmonton area
Old 07-17-2010, 09:23 PM

Default 406 Whitetail

Anyone with a tag for whitetail in 406 want to team up?
Old 07-18-2010, 04:05 PM

Default Looking for a hunting partner for Camp Wainright deer Muzzle loader

Hey guys I got my muzzle loader draw for camp wainright this year, never been out there before, looking for some hunting partners, none of mine got draw this year. I hunt with a side by side 72cal custom Pedrisoli Kodiak rifle and am looking for some other traditional cap and ball guys to hunt with. Thanks Lee
Old 07-18-2010, 09:07 PM

Texan transplant, settled in Calgary. Family arrives on the 24th. I am a seasoned archer looking for guidance on hunting locally.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:30 PM

Default trying this again

Well ive been on Aoe for about 2 years now, so im going to try this again , i live in the wetaskwin area and am trying to find someone that may drag me around elk hunting, I dont have a draw for one this year, as i decided to go the 999 route. More or less id just like to get some experience and tutoring , hell even seeing one would be awsome in my books, im willing to travel, but would like to keep it to within a 5 hours one way kind of areas., I tried this thread a couple years ago, but it was quite late in the season, and im not an archer, so rifle season is when id like to try and get in on some experience, with someone that knows elk, and their routines , calling ect..
Shoot me a pm if interested, looking forward to hearing from someone
Thanks.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:50 PM

Default hunting partner

Hi guys
looking mainly for a bird hunting (partridge and migratory birds) partner around Calgary area. I had to give up my dog so would be great if you have one.
If you want to do some bow hunting for big game sometime, I will be doing that too.

Good luck everyone

FJ
Old 08-04-2010, 08:25 AM

Default what about mentorship programs

In the Alberta Hunter's Education course that I took online was mentioned that part of the of what this organization does is to pair new hunters with seasoned mentors.

I am wondering how to go about finding a mentor. Are there events where people can meet and chat face to face, rather than posting something that sounds like personal ad? (i.e. I am 35, divorced, like shooting things, and long walks on the beach... Looking for a buddy to shoot things with... )
Old 08-04-2010, 08:53 AM

Default Wmu 404

Anyone hunting in 404, I have a Mulie Buck tag for this year if anyone wants to get together for some hunting down in that area!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:43 PM

I'm in Calgary, took the AHEIA course(s) earlier this year. Have never been out hunting in the past but spend a fair bit of time chasing trout. More before I got married...
I'm interested in getting as much hunting experience as I can since i don't really have much yet. If you're headed out and want company/have room let me know. I would like to better understand duck, upland bird, and deer hunting and all that comes with it (field dressing, scouting, etc.). I don't necessarily have to be shooting to be learning but I don't think it can hurt.
Currently I'm working on my shooting skills down at the AHEIA range, trying to decide on the gun to buy and picking up maps to seek permission from land owners. In the mean time is there any must read hunting references for western canada out there?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:33 AM

Default Bump

Hey guys,
Any books i should be checking out?
Old 08-08-2010, 06:37 PM

Default a reminder

This thread is here for the purpose of asking for a hunting partner for a weekend etc. Please keep replies to messages posted in this thread to pm's only. That will keep it clean and a person will only have to read messages, not garbage.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:12 PM

Default hunting looks good John

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Petty View Post
hey if you travl to picture butte ill go bird hunting with you ( ducks but if you have goose decoys can get lots of geese too) i got duck decoys gun dog an calls and know of a few really good areas right close
how about some geese at the lake this year.
wont be bow hunting toar my shoulder at work gonna be fuin trying to shoot elk . Im at home had surgery in july call me.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:05 AM

Thought I would throw this out there...

If there is a newbie or anyone else who wants to fit the ducks, geese or deer in the GP area, drop me a PM.

I am more than willing to get a guy out for a day or two and so is my regular hunting buddy...

Never shot a deer before?

Don't worry, we'll do it once so that you know how to do it whne you bag your next one....

If you're not a complete idiot, there might even be a place for you to stay and get a shower...

But the main thing is, don't let inexperience or lack of access stop you!

Good luck!

Mike
Old 08-11-2010, 10:06 AM

Default Hunting this year southwest of Calgary

Hi Guys, I am going to try and get some hunting in this year around calgary area and was wondering if anyone is interested in coming along. I only want experienced hunters and people who know the land management areas. I have only hunted in RKY MTN House in Alberta so if someone could help me out as to where good and legal hunting locations are; it would be great. I would like to have a good hunting partner who is serious and safe but also has a good sense of humor. While hunting, extreme attention and corordination is required along with good communication. If anyone would like to do some scouting and get some hunting in this year let me know. I am from NFLD and have hunted for over 15 yrs. I like hunting just about anything that's legal and I love to hunt moose. Take care and have a good hunting season.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:48 AM

Default wmu 503

hey all i got drawn for moose in 503 not my first choise but it ll do any body else gonna try and get a moose in the lac la biche area im from edmonton but i do all my white tail hunting up thereand usualy see moose just gotta switch gears with my cameras and start targeting swamp donkeys instead of whiteys, been hunting for 16 yrs and never gone after moose
Old 08-14-2010, 10:38 AM

Default new to hunting

New to hunting in alberta and hunting in general.

live in red deer, dont mind a few hours travel to get out.

hopefully picking up a new rifle later this month and will only have a general whitetail tag (missed the draw dates)

looking for someone that wouldnt mind taking out a newbie and teaching some skills and tips and just some general knowledge and learning the proper ways to hunt.

dont mind hiking, camping or hard work.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:23 PM

Default Elk hunting in the 300 zones

We are looking to meet up with a couple of hunters to hunt elk near Hinton area (near Pembina River), or in any of the 300 zones. We are out of province hunters (unfortunately I left Alberta so no longer a local), so we need to have 1 local for every two hunters with us. There will be four of us, all self sufficient, seasoned and above all ethical hunters (my buddy is a Conservation Officer in Ontario).. We have all our gear, a portable camp, quads etc etc. The only things we don't have is some local friends to hunt with.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:57 PM

Default WMU 212 Antlerless Elk Special Licence Draw (Calgary Area)

Hi All

I got my draw for zone 212 and I do not have a partner

My tag runs from Dec 01 - Dec 20

Let me know if you have the same tag - it is Primitive Weapon only!!!

Where there is one cow Elk there will be more

PM me!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:48 PM

Default Hunting

will be hunting the foothills for sheep,elk,moose,deer,cats n bears this year. I'm not a trophy hunter but I do like big, big game. I hunt with all methods, have all necessary gear and I'm comfortable roughin' it in the bush. i have a sheep hunt (rifle) planned for the first of september,followed by an elk,moose, mule deer combo hunt(quad-archery). sheep hunt will be physically demanding of 40k or more,sleeping up in the rocks. early october river hunt (red deer) for mule deer might be in the works again this year as well as bull/cow elk (archery). I hunt bears where i find them or they find me, as the case may be. I have hunted the central alberta area for the past 30 years, I'm based out of red deer. NO-->
Old 08-18-2010, 10:24 PM

Hi there,

My name is Ron Leuschen, I live an hour east of stettler and I plan on hunting sheep in the 422 426 zones. I killed a legal one there with a rifle 3 years ago and am planning on going again for the season opener. I don`t have a mt bike but everything else I have. I`ve guided mtn goat every year on the north west coast of bc since 06 so I have the gear needed, unfortunately I don`t have a partner this year. I plan on hunting with my long bow this year, possibly on horseback but if not I`ll take my quad back as far as I can go, then hike from there. maybe we can work something out.

Last edited by admin; 08-19-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:43 PM

My hunting partner died in an accident a few years ago; been going out by myself but my wife gets pretty worried. I go into some remote places. Now I'm starting to 2nd guess it, too. Maybe not such a good idea.

I'm interested in somebody who'd be able to go for 2 weeks to hunt Elk into 429 or ?. I know a lot of the province, but that's pretty handy and there's a few animals around. I'm open to other areas, too.

I prefer to take in a wall tent and a shyteload of gear and grub - I can only stand so much Kraft dinner. Lots of coffee. I've never been able to quit smoking, so if that bugs you, don't answer.

I'm pretty easygoing, but you do need to be able to shoot straight. Wounded animals are bad news. It's always possible, I guess, but I rattle off a lot of ammo each year to make sure that doesn't happen. If you carry a .388 Nitro Magnum, we're probably not real compatible. Most guys I've run into over the years shooting something real big don't shoot straight. I do own a .300 Mag (which I built) but it's really intended for big bears - someday. Bring a sense of humour, carry your weight and leave the bellyaching at home and we'd get along fine.

That shyteload of gear goes in with a quad and trailer. Then I go from there. I'm mostly a still hunter. I'm good enough that last year I walked up on a few cow Elk and a couple days later a doe and fawn feeding in the pines to within about 50 ft. and they never did figure out that I wasn't just some gawd-awful ugly stump. Not the first time. (The elk didn't take very long to figure out I wasn't an ugly stump, but I sure could've filled a cow tag). I like to sit and wait a lot, too. Have a new tree stand and would like to give that a go this year.

I don't hunt real ratty places because I'm all done packing out meat on my back. I want to drop an animal close to where I can get it with the quad and a rope. Now, if the bugger was a real big 6x6, I guess I'd drop it wherever the he!! it stood and deal with it

If you'd prefer to bring in your own camp nearby and just have somebody handy to notice you/I didn't come back and to search for the body before you get too cold and stiff, that's fine, too.

I'm in the Red Deer area, so if interested send me a pm and we can meet for a Tim's.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:04 AM

Looking for an experienced and responsible bird hunting partner.

I live in Edmonton, and have been out a few times. Unfortunately, I haven't "really" been out, i.e. out all day enjoying our beautiful province and bringing in the beautiful bird. A lot of my hunting has been driving down gravel roads looking for bird, and quite honestly I hate that! I want to be out there walking through the beauty and shooting the huns/grouse, or hunting waterfowl.

My guns are 12 gauge, and I would love if I could be back within the day (go out Saturday morning, back saturday evening) so I wouldn't mind going on 2 or 3 hour drives.

Have a truck, a young lab (6 months, still working on him) and will not accept any "bending of the rules"

If you're interested in helping a newbie please let me know!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:23 PM

Hey guys, 16 year old new hunter living in Fort McMurray. Just got my Hunters Safety. Spend every summer with my grandpa who is a taxidermist so i'm used to the surroundings. Looking for someone to tag along with and kind of show me the ropes. Never hunted, but fired my grandpas 410 every now and then.