Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-06-2005, 10:39 AM
DUKE

Default ANY YODIE CALLERS HERE??

JUST WANTING TO KNOW HOW MANY OF YOU GO OUT CALLING AND WHAT TYPE OF SET UP YOU USE. HOW LONG TO CALL ??? DECOYS??? WANT TO GET INTO IT THIS WINTER. I HAVE THE CALLS AND ALSO BOUGHT A COUPLE CROW DECOYS FROM WHOLESALE..
Old 12-08-2005, 08:19 PM
yote calling

Default yote calling

i hunt the farm country where you have fields with patches of trees anywhere from 100yds wide to 1000yds i set up on the down wind end ether in the field or slightly in the bush if its open enough. 80 yards away from where i think the yote will come out. I use the rabbit call holler away for 30 seconds to a min. then wait. i wait maybe 11/2 min. then call again and really get into it. long and loud. if nothing in 25min i move on if i get one it usually comes in the first 5 min.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:06 AM
Alberta Record Holder

Default Re: yote calling

I don't use any decoy, I find a good location where I can sneak in then stay quiet for 2-3 minutes, then I call. I find it is better if there is 2 guys, one for the calling where you can hide and then the shooter, it is better that way because they are quite good at spotting movement. Be prepare for shots up to 300 yards.

Are you from the Edmonton area?
Old 12-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Alberta Record Holder

Are you from the Edmonton Area ? If you are , we should get together for some hunting.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:47 AM
DUKE

wish i was from edm ab,, i'm in saskatoon .. called a couple yodies last winter and shot one with my .22 at 40 yrds.. i'm getting addicted to it and would like to know how others go about calling/set ups decoys..
Old 12-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Alberta Record Holder

Hey DUke check this site out.

wcp-nm.com/coyotes/
Old 02-08-2006, 11:53 AM
Craftyhunter

Hey ARH,

I've started hunting coyotes this year, been out a couple of times and managed to call up about a dozen so far. I live in Edmonton as well. What I would really like is to head a little north or west and call for wolves. Kind of hesitant to go it alone would like some company, you interested?