Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-16-2006, 09:15 AM
aka bushmaster

Default Pigeon trap...??

Does anyone know where you can get a pigeon trap in Alberta ??
Old 03-24-2006, 03:13 PM
needmoretoys

Default Pigeon trap...??

www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$dep...endocument

Try this Magpie trap. It should work.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:47 PM
critter

12 gauge and a box of shells
Old 03-27-2006, 08:58 PM
aka bushmaster

The little buggers won't come anywhere near me when I'm packin' .....and as you well know, a trap is still working when you're gone.

Oh yeah, I got my new trap today.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:11 AM
Reeves01

You bought one ? Can you post a picture of it ?
I have built them in the past, but looking at one may help me when I build another....
Old 07-23-2006, 08:46 PM
aka bushmaster

Reeves, I hope these help. The cage is 24" x 28", has 2 doors on each side and a top door for removing birds. That said, I have never used it except here in my yard (no pigeons here), first nite I caught my cat. The instructions that came with it said it is very important to put water inside the trap, that is the main attraction and then bait in behind the slots in the hinged doors.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:32 AM
Reeves01

So, looks like the bird sees food/water, then pushes up the door to enter the pen ? How heavy is the door ?
Let me know how well it works. I have some Pigeons each year in my pole barn, crapping on stuff in it.
When I was younger, I used to go to farms & offer to catch them at night. You take a long pole, a good flash light & "bump" them off the roost. Most times they'll fly right at the light. Catch and bag em. If not at the light, shut it off & they'll sit (crash) on the ground. Turn the light back on, walk over & pick them up. Good eats ! Dark meat.

I'm going to try & find a person that races them. They have one way doors on their coops. I'll see if they can send me a picture of a door.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:38 AM
aka bushmaster

The doors aren't very heavy but that's how they work...just one way. The pen isn't made out of very heavy stuff...my cat kinda trashed the one door and bent some of the wire.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:04 AM
RyanGSP

Depending on where you are I would like to purchase the birds off you. I will use them to train my dogs and will shoot the birds so they will not return to bother you.

I am in Taber (30 min east of Lethbridge)
Old 10-12-2006, 10:27 PM
kellyandbeth

Just do like my crazy freind and hide in the barn loft with two 44's strapped to your hips and when they fly in just open them suckers up. It's kina funny cause I think he got 4 out 6 that flew in there. Didn't do any justice to the tin on the roof though.