Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-20-2017, 03:08 PM
Banned

Default Custom ear plugs

I'm trying to remember which companies it was that show up to the gun shows and do the custom earplugs. I have a couple sets of the roll your own custom ones but they are hard to clean properly as the material is really porous. Costco no longer does it in house and I'd like to support someone who supports the firearm industry.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Banned

A couple of years ago, the Shooting Edge was sharing a booth with a lady that was making those ear plugs. I don't recall any names, but contacting the Shooting Edge might lead you in the right direction.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:32 PM

A co-worker has his made at Connect hearing, very happy with them, I will try them out if l ever have the time.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:35 PM

I think they do them right in the shooting edge now.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 06-20-2017, 07:45 PM
Banned

Check to see if your company health plan will pay for them. I keep meaning to look into it further, a friend got his done and most of it was covered somehow.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:53 PM
Banned

Do these custom earplugs allow one to hear normal conversation and block out firearm report? I use Peltor electronic ear muffs and am very happy with those.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Do these custom earplugs allow one to hear normal conversation and block out firearm report? I use Peltor electronic ear muffs and am very happy with those.
Nope they Pour a type of rubber stuff into your ear and after it sets up you gave a perfect mokd of your ear
I have used a set fir about ten years now
Cat
Old 06-20-2017, 08:56 PM

You can get custom electronic plugs. Well worth it.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:10 PM

I finally took the plunge and bought a set for myself (in BC), I couldn't be happier, they are comfortable, do a darn good job, are easy to clean and most importantly are quick and easy to get them in my ears.

I too was disappointed that Costco got out of the ear plug game; they stopped just a couple months before I was in the market. Many places out there though.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:20 PM

I know a gal in Valleyview who makes them. She does travel to some outdoors shows and lives not far off of highway 43 if you ever travel north. They do make custom earplugs with inserts that allows to you to converse but will shut out loud noises. I have a pair and think they're great. PM me if you want her number.

Gerry Burnie
Old 06-20-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
You can get the common custom molded plug or custom moulded electronics which function like a high quality plug version of your peltors. I dont remember who does them but i beleive southern ear was the company. Wild ear plugs are similar except you mould them yourself and then ship them back to be made.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 06-21-2017, 05:22 AM
Banned

My health plan does not cover them and I have gotten some pretty high prices, $400+ for non electronics, down to about $140. I want them for work more than anything but they will be good at the range as well.

I will contact the shooting edge and see what they do and what they charge.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
You can get the common custom molded plug or custom moulded electronics which function like a high quality plug version of your peltors. I dont remember who does them but i beleive southern ear was the company. Wild ear plugs are similar except you mould them yourself and then ship them back to be made.
My Peltor ear muffs are of a low profile, not too thick. They work very well when shooting rifles off the bench, prone, etc. However, they come into contact with my shotgun butt stock when shooting trap, etc.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
My Peltor ear muffs are of a low profile, not too thick. They work very well when shooting rifles off the bench, prone, etc. However, they come into contact with my shotgun butt stock when shooting trap, etc.
Yea i know a few guys who have the custom plugs for trap and skeet. They also work great in a goose blind or deer hunting. For those looking to get them made i just remembered i know someone who will be carrying and instaling custom plugs in the near future.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 06-21-2017, 12:43 PM

Try reaching out to Claude Boiteau @ 587.877.7130. Very reasonable prices from what I have been told.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:16 PM

WCB was kind enough to pay for a set for me (as well as hearing aids)....they are an excellent investment in your future hearing, so you won't need those darn hearing aids.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-21-2017, 04:57 PM
Banned

Costco does the electronic molded plugs, IIRC... And TSE, as mentioned, for regular N/R molded plugs.

I have Peltor/3M Tactical Sport electronic muffs like GitRdun mentioned, and they are amazing !

Old 06-21-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Costco does the electronic molded plugs, IIRC... And TSE, as mentioned, for regular N/R molded plugs.

I have Peltor/3M Tactical Sport electronic muffs like GitRdun mentioned, and they are amazing !

Really? I think they suck balls! I have a set of Walkers that are better but still the static hiss is annoying, going for some fitted electronic plugs. Pricey but ears are priceless.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post

Really? I think they suck balls!

I have a set of Walkers that are better but still the static hiss is annoying, going for some fitted electronic plugs.

Pricey but ears are priceless.
Here's your gratuitous "opinions are like butt-holes" response...

Feedback, to a certain extent based on the quality of your gear, is to be expected with electronic hearing devices.

I like my Peltors, but I know there's better muffs out there that cost 2-3 times what I paid for mine.

Cheers
Old 06-22-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Feedback, to a certain extent based on the quality of your gear, is to be expected with electronic hearing devices.

I like my Peltors, but I know there's better muffs out there that cost 2-3 times what I paid for mine.

Cheers
I have a set of the Peltors, and while I like them and they block noise very well....I do like the set of MSA Supreme that I picked up much more. As you said though, 3 x the price. I think the biggest plus (beside the better electronics) is the comfort. I love the gel ear cups. Having said that, I don't think that the Peltors 'suck balls', I could live with them for most shooting times of two hours or less. For extended all day shooting...I like the MSA Supremes by a good margin.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-23-2017, 07:24 AM

I've had several molded plug sets and while they're better than wearing nothing, they're not a lot better than nothing. The squishy foam plugs work far better for me but they're such a pain to use. I've had molded plugs both custom made and used the home made ones that you buy in a store and do the molding your self, both have worked to about the same level of effectiveness.
I often put electronic muffs over top of the molded plugs for far better protection and still have the ability to hear conversation with the volume turned up. The only trouble with that is the electronic static and hissing that my Peltors often have. I've had much better muffs than these before and won't buy another set.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:15 AM

Default Electronic Plugs

I have had a set of E.A.R. electronic ear plugs for 5 years now and really like them.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:49 AM

I have two sets of DB Blockers (http://www.protectear.com/products/db-blocker/).

One is a set of Descreet Non Vented. The second is a set of Convertible Vented plugs.

Both work well in their own right. My preference while shooting is using the Vented plugs inside a set of electronic muffs. Makes hearing conversation at the range easy. Also blocks shooting noise more than anything else I have tried. The muffs protect your inner ear from the vibration of your outer ear which no plugs can do.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:46 PM

Try the decibullz. They are a soft ploy plastic and remoldable. I have set and they are far nicer than my cheaper radian set. They even make Bluetooth and regular wired ear phones.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post

I love the gel ear cups...
The Peltor gel-cup replacements are $30-$40.

I've been thinking about getting a pair, the foam can cause discomfort after a few hours like you mentioned.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:31 AM

i've tried 2 sets of the custom molded plugs from the gal at the gun shows. both seemed to lose their fit over time, abut a year or so. she said she would warranty the first pair, but i didn't have my bill so just paid for the second pair.
they lasted about the same time, seems like ears have toxic paste in them and they deteriorate, even keeping them in the little container.
i find the orange stanley $3 plugs from canadian tire last about 6 mo, and i keep a set in the container in my pocket 24/7 for the shop and shooting. lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Try reaching out to Claude Boiteau @ 587.877.7130. Very reasonable prices from what I have been told.
He does a great job! Also you are supporting someone that donates hunts to AHEIA and many other Conservation Organizations.

I know he does custom plugs for various Law Enforcement Agencies and F&W.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Yea i know a few guys who have the custom plugs for trap and skeet. They also work great in a goose blind or deer hunting. For those looking to get them made i just remembered i know someone who will be carrying and instaling custom plugs in the near future.
I think pretty much any hearing center will provide the electronic plugs.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Here's your gratuitous "opinions are like butt-holes" response...

Cheers
Wrong, got a set from Acklands for $70ish, total waste of time and money. I wear ear protection most of the time at work and these seem to amplify certain frequencies even when they are switched off, when l say they suck balls l mean it. Waste of money IMBHO. Regular old fashioned Howard Leight muffs for me but l am going to spend the money on electronic custom fit plugs. Co-workers use them and like them.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:20 PM

I've had similar experience to Bobinthesky and Duceman.

I picked up some molded plugs from an audiology place. After about a year they were loosing their effectiveness. Now I use Mack's Ear Seals. They work well enough for rimfire. For centerfire, I double up.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/32808/...seals-earplugs