Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-07-2012, 06:03 PM

Default Fly starter advice

Really want to try some fly fishing out next year, so I'm looking for all kinds of advice, equipment (need everything), locations good for beginners, easy way to learn to start cast

As for equipment from quick browsing I think I would start with 5-6wt length I have no idea. What would be some affordable options/ brands to look for for a set up also a reel, I know pretty much squat about fly gear.

And advise is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Old 11-07-2012, 06:09 PM

probably get more response if you posted your query in the new fly fishing area

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-07-2012, 06:13 PM

Yeah. Just saw that... Feeling super intelligent.
Thanks ill close this one and start a new one, unless an admin wants to move it for me....?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Banned

There is group called the Northern Lights Fly Tyers that meets in Edmonton every week.

Did not see any fly tying when I was there. Just some guy screaming at the group to sell some tickets for a two bit steak dinner.

Trout Unlimited is supposed to meet there too. Who ever they are. They must have become a joke too.

The whole place is a complete joke, but give it try if you are desparate.

Moderator: Please move this to the flyfishing area.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Got2fish

Wes, when you get your gear let me know. I'll give you some dries, nymphs and streamers to get you started. I know getting set up is an expense, so let me help you out.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Got2fish

Also during the winter months is a great time to search the net for videos on how to cast, read the water and fish behavior.

When watching videos, you'll see some great casters on youtube. It might look easy for them but it takes years to master the fly rod.

Your first year, you just want to go out and catch fish. Numbers first, then size will come. When I was a teenager I kept a log of my outings. Temps/weather, water clairity/conditons and speed, hatches, what worked and what didn't. After a couple seasons I was slowly figuring out a pattern.

Read as many books and internet pages and blogs. All that info will come into play. You'll know when.

Shoot me a PM next spring and I'll take you out to Prairie Creek for browns and brookies.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesr View Post
Really want to try some fly fishing out next year, so I'm looking for all kinds of advice, equipment (need everything), locations good for beginners, easy way to learn to start cast

As for equipment from quick browsing I think I would start with 5-6wt length I have no idea. What would be some affordable options/ brands to look for for a set up also a reel, I know pretty much squat about fly gear.

Thanks
Your close to north side Wholesale Sport. Theres a guy named Chris(black hair maybe 35ish guy) in the fly shop. I know he's a avid flyfisher and seems a general all round good guy. Gave me a awesome deal on some stuff. He works shifts,not sure what the other guys in there know.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesr View Post

Thanks
Your close to north side Wholesale Sport. Theres a guy named Chris(black hair maybe 35ish guy) in the fly shop. I know he's a avid flyfisher and seems a general all round good guy. Gave me a awesome deal on some stuff. He works shifts,not sure how knowledgeable the other guys in there are.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:52 PM

I just started late last year myself. There is a lot to take in, it is kind of like drinking from a fire hose.
I have started out with a basic 8wt set up from The Fishing Hole, I spent a lot of time picking Bo's brain on fly fishing unfortunately he isn't there anymore, and an assotment of flies for this general area. Still doing lots of learning.
I had my first success at the Morniville Trout Pond back in September, lots of room to work on your casting.
And let me tell you once you fight a fish on a fly rod you will never want to go back. Now I just need to get out to the Rocky area and hit up some of the stream that everyone keeps talking about.

Why Do I Have to Work.......Need to be outside more!!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Banned

Wear,

Ignore the old grey puddy, I suspect that his milk may have been a tad "off" this morning.

The Northern lights have a great website plus meetings where you can learn all kinds of things.

Like others have told you, there is a lot to learn but it's a fun journey that after 50 years of playing with a fly rod. I haven't yet discovered an end.

What I might add to the advice, buy Orivs book on beginning fly fishing. It's only $25. Lots of good stuff

Slo....
Old 11-12-2012, 01:22 PM

Yeah I'm quickly figuring out there is a ton of info to take in, been reading lots online about where to start for a beginner set up and all the different knots and what not, have yet to get into casting and which flies to use for which fish and even how to read the waters
Old 11-12-2012, 10:51 PM

Transcribed from the other beginners thread;

"Depending on whether you go with a cheap combo starter or not is up to you. Even if you buy used through the forum here, I highly recommend a 4 piece rod. Fly fishing in Alberta has a world of options, but if like me, you take a liking to the tranquility and solitude of back country rivers and streams, a 4 piece rod is easily transportable, case will easily strap to a day or expedition pack.
Also, fly line is a huge decision as well, more experienced guys will likely buy into the $80-$100 line. Time and experience will tell what you prefer. That being said, whatever line you choose, I highly recommend a line with a welded loop on the end. Learning to fly fish is a challenge in itself, so avoiding having to tie a leader on with that ridiculous nail knot or whatever the hell it is called, will have you spending more time with your fly on the water.

As for the lessons, great idea, I should probably do the same! If you decide not to, then ignore what you see in the movies and travel adds. Whipping the fly line through the air 98% of the time. Starting out, a simple roll cast or wrist flick on a nice flowing stream will produce more results, give more practice on setting the hook, and build confidence, thus making the whole experience more enjoyable. If your fly is whipping through the air and getting tangled up for 98% of the time, then that fly isn't sitting on the water, and won't get any hits! I hope that helps.
Just my two cents....."

Al