Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-07-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 oz Bucktail View Post
Yeah, the bottom pic of fish partly in water is a brookie.

You wouldn't belive the number of guys in this area that use poor id skills as a justification for poaching. I have had poachers tell me that a 28" fish on shore was a brook. Really, can they even get that big? Would have to be a pretty fat brookie to hit 28" length.

Go out and catch a pile of the various char species and you will soon understand the differences between, with the exception of possibly dolly/bull and dolly/arctic char.
That would be one big azz brookie...
Old 11-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Got2fish

Not a true brookie, subspecies called aurora trout.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the bottom pic of fish partly in water is a brookie.

You wouldn't belive the number of guys in this area that use poor id skills as a justification for poaching. I have had poachers tell me that a 28" fish on shore was a brook. Really, can they even get that big? Would have to be a pretty fat brookie to hit 28" length.

Go out and catch a pile of the various char species and you will soon understand the differences between, with the exception of possibly dolly/bull and dolly/arctic char.
I would like to see a pic of a 28" brookie. Some of the biggest brookies in the country are found in some lakes in Quebec. Unknown if any reached that length or not. Although, the long standing Alberta record is 12lbs, 14oz. I'll be shocked if there is any brookie left in the province even close to knocking on the door of the 10lb mark. But I have been wrong before.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Has anyone on here caught a brull trout (brookXbull)? I know it's possible, but it has to be pretty rare i would think.

according to a couple of our bio members, apparently yes i have and in a riffle on a section you've floated by many,many times Jay. here's the link to the thread regarding the fish when it was caught back in april as well as great information regarding identification posted by Mr. Stelfox within the thread. it was in my mind a rare and unique catch, and one i'll remember forever. i have contemplated a replica and may still follow though with it at some point.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=131088

Field ID Guide(FINAL 3-2-2009 FOR DISTRIBUTION)-2.pdf

Popowich et al 2011.pdf

Dace
Old 11-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Got2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher87 View Post
I would like to see a pic of a 28" brookie. Some of the biggest brookies in the country are found in some lakes in Quebec. Unknown if any reached that length or not. Although, the long standing Alberta record is 12lbs, 14oz. I'll be shocked if there is any brookie left in the province even close to knocking on the door of the 10lb mark. But I have been wrong before.
My family has a cottage near Chicoutimi. We used to go to the Sainte-Marguerite River to fish sea run Brookies and Atlantics. Sea runs were always full of smelt. Gotta love tidal water fishing for brookies.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:23 PM

This time i had a good look, the half submerged fish is a Brookie, as 1/2 oz Bucktail said " go out and catch a pile of ( fish) " you seem to be having good succes catching the fish and the photos aren't bad either.
Good luck!
And atleast your asking the difference here then trying to explain it to the " fins & skins," in the fishing furom a guy was handed a $ 6000 fine for keeping bulls.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Got2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve fly guy View Post
This time i had a good look, the half submerged fish is a Brookie, as 1/2 oz Bucktail said " go out and catch a pile of ( fish) " you seem to be having good succes catching the fish and the photos aren't bad either.
Good luck!
And atleast your asking the difference here then trying to explain it to the " fins & skins," in the fishing furom a guy was handed a $ 6000 fine for keeping bulls.
For some reason I had thought I read there were brookies in the elk. So just wondering if I had caught one. I've caught numerous brookies in my life, they come in all diffrerent colours. As for no black spots put it back. Read it enough, so many times. Just never really thought of it. Really feel dumb for asking the question. 1 quick lesson learned as a new comer(ish) to this province.

Comments about about poaching, go through one ear out the other on this thread.

I only keep stocked fish. And that's maybe couple trout a month, just helping to keep populations in check.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:28 PM

I was not saying that 28" brooks exist. I was saying that poachers out here claim identification ignorance to try to get out of being charged. There are too many cases of people keeping large bulls out here claiming that they are brook trout when clearly the fish is a bull just on body size alone, never mind the lack of vermiculations, body morphology, etc.

I may be biased because I have handled hundreds, possibly thousands of bulls, but I do not understand how there can ever be confusion between adult bulls and brooks. They are so ridiculously different.

Look closely at your catches of fish in the next season and the differnces will soon become very apparent.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Got2fish

Quote:
I was not saying that 28" brooks exist. I was saying that poachers out here claim identification ignorance to try to get out of being charged. There are too many cases of people keeping large bulls out here claiming that they are brook trout when clearly the fish is a bull just on body size alone, never mind the lack of vermiculations, body morphology, etc.

I may be biased because I have handled hundreds, possibly thousands of bulls, but I do not understand how there can ever be confusion between adult bulls and brooks. They are so ridiculously different.

Look closely at your catches of fish in the next season and the differnces will soon become very apparent.
I try to go to a system a target certain species. Went to cline for bull, caught a bull. That one was obvious to me. Elk creek, well i was going after browns. And got this guy. Thought he might of been a brookie as I thought I read somewhere brookies were interbreeding with bulls.

Whats up with the poacher sh!t? Because one ask a question about species ID, you refer to poaching this poaching that.... Well that wasn't the orginal thread....

I was just looking for clarification on the picture. Not expecting to get a speech from every "backyard CO" on the board. Seems to be alot of them.

Question was answered in second post. I thank everybody for replying.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Banned

No problem Got2Fish.

Welcome to AO
Old 11-07-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
according to a couple of our bio members, apparently yes i have and in a riffle on a section you've floated by many,many times Jay. here's the link to the thread regarding the fish when it was caught back in april as well as great information regarding identification posted by Mr. Stelfox within the thread. it was in my mind a rare and unique catch, and one i'll remember forever. i have contemplated a replica and may still follow though with it at some point.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=131088

Attachment 61830

Attachment 61829

Dace
Dace,

thanks for the info, it's very possible i saw a hybrid this year, i'll have to consult my pics. It was caught in the Bow as well.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:15 AM

Holy sensitivity. I am not claiming you are poaching. I was merely relating that there are too many so called experts that use incorrect methods of identifying fish. In many cases this gets abused and incorrect fish are kept occasionally by misinformed anglers or shadier folk that use ignorance as an excuse. Stick with the methods outlined in the regs and when in doubt throw the fish back.

Did I at any point acuse you of poaching?
Take the time to read the previous posts closely. Calm down.

If I was indeed calling you out, you would know.

Anyways I am done with hand holding.

If it were up to me (which it isn't) all bull trout rearing streams in Alberta would be classified waters requiring special licensing and the completion of an intensive fish identification test with pics, specimens, etc that cover the majority of variations that exist in bull trout.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:34 PM

It is a bull trout.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2fish View Post
Because one ask a question about species ID, you refer to poaching this poaching that.... Well that wasn't the orginal thread....

I was just looking for clarification on the picture. Not expecting to get a speech from every "backyard CO" on the board. Seems to be alot of them.

Question was answered in second post. I thank everybody for replying.

i thought i was contributing to your original question regarding species identification with my post. specifically the bull/brook questioned posed in the title of this thread. there are many on here that are willing to help with these types of questions and even members that make their living as fishery biologists that share data that's not always readily available. i value that. i trust you're not lumping me into your quoted classification, and my post was helpful in answering your original question.

Dace
Old 11-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Got2fish

Quote:
Holy sensitivity. I am not claiming you are poaching. I was merely relating that there are too many so called experts that use incorrect methods of identifying fish. In many cases this gets abused and incorrect fish are kept occasionally by misinformed anglers or shadier folk that use ignorance as an excuse. Stick with the methods outlined in the regs and when in doubt throw the fish back.

Did I at any point acuse you of poaching?
Take the time to read the previous posts closely. Calm down.

If I was indeed calling you out, you would know.

Anyways I am done with hand holding.

If it were up to me (which it isn't) all bull trout rearing streams in Alberta would be classified waters requiring special licensing and the completion of an intensive fish identification test with pics, specimens, etc that cover the majority of variations that exist in bull trout.
The thread was "is this a brookie or a bull trout", simple yes or no would of sufficed.....unless I asked, how to identify bull trout.

You, like others on this board, go to far a head of the topic. I don't need to calm down... Nothing to get worked up about. Not sure if your new to forums, but when one write a comment on the internet it's hard to hear there tone of voice. It was a closed-ended question.

Holding hands? Sorry dude not into that. Maybe up north to keep you warm, but not here.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Got2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
i thought i was contributing to your original question regarding species identification with my post. specifically the bull/brook questioned posed in the title of this thread. there are many on here that are willing to help with these types of questions and even members that make their living as fishery biologists that share data that's not always readily available. i value that. i trust you're not lumping me into your quoted classification, and my post was helpful in answering your original question.

Dace
Nope, like I said: I thanked everybody who replied.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Got2fish

Will this become the first locked thread in the fly fishing section??

I hope not
Old 11-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Got2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2fish View Post
Nope, like I said: I thanked everybody who replied.
Lol just reread what I wrote, and yes your and others information was helpfull, but the comments on poaching bullies was a little off topic.

Like I had wrote in another post, I'm new to the province. This Bull trout fishing is all new. I don't keep wild fish. And i fish within regulations.

Just it's silly to see 40 somthing post all saying the same thing. Just a litlle repetive.

Maybe next time I pose a question I will be clear on what I write.

Again no offence was made in any of my post.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Got2fish

And dace, Thanks for the hybrid chatter. Back home there was a couple lakes that had naturally reproducimg splake, lake troutXbrook trout. They grew big and fast.

Again thanks.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:58 AM

There are brookies in Elk Creek as well, and they are hybridizing with the bull. It seems that the browns are lower down and the bulls are further upstream. The brookies that I seen were in the small tribs that come in above the last bridge.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Got2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebber6 View Post
There are brookies in Elk Creek as well, and they are hybridizing with the bull. It seems that the browns are lower down and the bulls are further upstream. The brookies that I seen were in the small tribs that come in above the last bridge.
Just the info I was looking for. Thank you. Not saying I caught one, but man he looked brookie like when I pulled him out of the water. We'll never know. Unless you draw a blood sample......

Thanks for the informtive reply.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 AM

Wink

Snakehead!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:27 PM

Bull Trout and your second you answered but here is one other pic they are beautiful fish

this

Aurora Trout and here is your pic and one i found on same page

David

Aurora Trout Photos Courtesy of Robert McFarlane of CastingOutLoud.com300 x 225 · 11 kB · jpegauroratrout.comSimilar images · More

NAO_3695_LG.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_trout
Old 11-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Got2fish

[QUOTE=Speckle55;1697251]Bull Trout and your second you answered but here is one other pic they are beautiful fish

this

David

Aurora Trout Photos Courtesy of Robert McFarlane of CastingOutLoud.com300 x 225 · 11 kB · jpegauroratrout.comSimilar images · More

Attachment 62202

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_trout[/QU

Post #32
Old 11-13-2012, 09:10 AM

[QUOTE=Got2fish;1697431]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Bull Trout and your second you answered but here is one other pic they are beautiful fish

this

David

Attachment 62202

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_trout[/QU

Post #32
Yep i missed it but i posted some info on the Aurora Brook Trout for other anglers as it is a Beautiful Brook Trout imo

David
Old 11-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Got2fish

Yup, look into the lady evelyn watershed and acid rain.

I do agree, beautifull fish