Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-14-2010, 05:39 PM

Default Recurve VS compound bow for big game

I intend to get into bow hunting and have noticed that everyone seems to use a compound bow, I wonder does anyone use a recurve and if so what draw weight etc. is best for big game?

What are the pros and cons, besides the obvious reduction in draw on a compound, in using each?
Old 10-14-2010, 05:50 PM

With a compound you also have to factor in the let off. This enables you to hold at full draw for a longer amount of time. As you mentioned there is also the size difference which makes quite a difference depending upon the terrain you hunt.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botwood View Post
I intend to get into bow hunting and have noticed that everyone seems to use a compound bow, I wonder does anyone use a recurve and if so what draw weight etc. is best for big game?

What are the pros and cons, besides the obvious reduction in draw on a compound, in using each?
I have hunted with stick bows only (as far as archery gear is concerned ) since 1965.

Now, the advantages and disadvantages are numerous, but it all comes down to WHAT you want to hunt with.
A recurve weighs very little compared to a compound, a flat bow or American long bow even less , depending on the type of recurve.
The speeds are also quite a bit slower on the sticks compared to the compounds.
Stick bows are a lot harder to learn than compounds, and most people take a full season or more before they take to the field with a stick after
big game .
A stick bow "stacks" ( builds poundage) , and this can be used to an advantage by some archers that snap shoot , but for the most part, a solid anchor point is what most archers use, be it compound or traditional.
The stacking is what separates the compounds from the sticks in a big way, as the compounds reach a peak weight the "roll over " into the valley of their force curve - which is where a person's draw length is measured.
It is also the reason why some guys pull far more poundage than they need or can pull properly, and why many have muscle and legement/tendon problems.
Add to that sights, stabilizers, bow quivers, widgets and what-nots, and you have the perfect breeding ground for a gadget fanatic!!
Some guys have as much fun adding gear to their ourfit as they do shooting, same as photography, shooting, golf, fishing the list goes on!
Cat
Old 10-14-2010, 08:19 PM

I have used both and found the amount of personal satisfaction was much greater with the recurve (very rewarding when you start to get good at it ) I would recommend you pick up " Fred Asbell's book - Instinctive Shooting " It is an excellent read regardless of which one you choose .
Old 10-15-2010, 07:44 PM

My trad bows vary in weight from 12 ounces to just over 2 pounds. An advantage that is nice on long hikes. The ones with wood risers are much nicer to hold on cold and wet days than the metal risers.
The traditional bow is simple, no sights or peep to get out of adjustment. it is quicker to aim and shoot, and usualy very quiet.
You don't need special tools to maintain it, a spare custom string is less than $20 dollars. They also maintain their re sale value , and often a used traditional bow will sell for more than it did new a few years earlier.
They come in 1 ,2 or 3 piece versions and can pack in a tube, or the talkedowns will fit in a suitcase.
Our shot distances are typicaly shorter, for me I will not shoot over 30 yards at a big animal.. Bow hunting is about getting close, Not shooting far. Traditional bows put more of the "hunt" into Hunting.I still have several compounds, but never take them out anymore.
There are several reviews on my site of traditional bows , from entry level to high end that may interest you.
www.peteward.com look in the trad review section.
Pete
Old 10-21-2010, 09:06 AM

Default Go try them out

Quote:
Originally Posted by botwood View Post

If you go to an archery center or some pro shops, you will be able to try them both out. Then you will truly know the difference between the two. A compound will shoot with more energy, faster speeds, and all around is easier to learn to shoot where as a recurve does not give you the mechanical advantage of let off, instead it stacks (builds up in weight until you stop pulling it), but the traditional bows are very simple in principal and hard in technique. It takes far longer to become accurate with a recurve or long bow, but gosh gee darn are they fun to shoot

Buy both, I did
Old 10-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Banned

As it was explained to me when I first bought a bow, It depends on how quick you want to be hunting and your physical strength. If you start shooting now and shoot alot you will probably be able to hunt with a stickbow next season. If you buy a compound bow you can probably become proficient enough at 20 yard shots to hunt this season befor its over. Stickbows take more physical strength to shoot and it is possible you might have to buy a lower draw weight bow to start with and then move into a hunting weight bow later, with a compound the draw weight is adjustable and most beginers can handle a hunting draw weight right away. Because of this information bought a compound bow, but every time I'm in an archery shop I spend most of my time lingering by the stickbows. They feel much nicer in the hand and I have much more fun barely hitting a target at 15 yards than shooting 2" groups at 30 with my compound. Got a longbow on the way now with lots of practice I hope I can use it next year to take a moose.