Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-18-2020, 09:01 PM

Keg in your linx tracks the x drawn “between” the outside toes goes “through” the pad...dats a cat track.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:01 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Keg in your linx tracks the x drawn “between” the outside toes goes “through” the pad...dats a cat track.
I know it's a cat/Lynx track, I saw the Lynx make them.

You know what, if you want to believe in the X theory, be my quest.

I'll not argue the point with you.

I will only say that if you think you can positively identify a track from one blurry photo I won't be asking you for help in identifying tracks.
If others want to take your word as gospel, that's nothing to me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-05-2021, 01:10 PM

Can be tricky but as mentioned cougar tend to leave clearer prints mainly due to less hair on their feet and the greater weight of the cat. Due to the weight a cougar track will sometimes obliterate the bilobing on the front of plantar pad. The best way to differentiate is stride and straddle both of which are smaller for Lynx (72cm, 17.8cm) than cougar (102cm, 20.3cm) respectively. Also a cougar will sometimes let it's tail hit the snow if it is deep. That being said it is tough to say from the pics as the print isn't well defined in the photo and no measurements. Stride does "look" long for a lynx.

When in doubt take some measurements or follow the tracks until you meet the maker.
Old 01-05-2021, 02:50 PM

If you lay a twig between the outside toes in an x and thy cross through the center of the pad it's a cat. K9 will cross at top or hardly touching the pad. Cougar tracks will show claws in deeper snow. Tracked lots of cats. My guess cougar, if you follow it you can also see where it drops it's tail occasionally, often when they stop and turn to check something out.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp hunter View Post
If you lay a twig between the outside toes in an x and thy cross through the center of the pad it's a cat. K9 will cross at top or hardly touching the pad. Cougar tracks will show claws in deeper snow. Tracked lots of cats. My guess cougar, if you follow it you can also see where it drops it's tail occasionally, often when they stop and turn to check something out.
Yup the “x” works
Old 01-05-2021, 08:31 PM

I cannot tell from your pictures. Here is a pic I took of a cougar track from the multitude of cougars in the area around me including my back yard.