Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-11-2014, 06:10 PM

Default Moose Lake Walleye - late reprot (Vid and Pics)

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgUjZCfAsHA

Our first time to Moose Lake near Bonnyville was a success! We searched all morning but found the walleye hanging on a point with a near by weed bed. The fish reacted very well to a Berkley Havoc swim bait that was cast up on the flat and then hopped down the drop off. They were hitting the lure multiple times every cast. Fishing was fast and furious and ranged in size from 43- 60 cm with the odd Northern Pike thrown in for good measure. This really is a great lake in Alberta if you're looking to catch some beautiful walleye. Don't take my word for it, get out there and try it for yourself. Amazing structural elements as well with tons of points, flats, humps, rivers, weed beds... you name it that lake has it.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 08-11-2014, 07:05 PM

Nice video and pics. Looks like you guys had a great time. But, I noticed that nobody is using a life jacket, especially the kid. It's always that one time that you wish you had...just sayin'.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
Nice video and pics. Looks like you guys had a great time. But, I noticed that nobody is using a life jacket, especially the kid. It's always that one time that you wish you had...just sayin'.
I don't think it's any of your business. .. competent boaters who are confident... pretty sure shes in direct reach of her parents...I never wore one ever... still never do even when things get nasty. Confident I can run a boat in almost Anything. .. been tested for 4 seasons on lake athabasca.. nice pics brandon
Old 08-11-2014, 08:20 PM

Nice Pierogi
Old 08-11-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
Thanks for your concern. Actually in the US all children under 12 yo have to wear a life jacket when on a boat. I never knew until people had similar comments to a video I posted fishing in California and my daughter can clearly be seen without a life jacket.

In Canada it is a good idea, but not the law. There were three adults in the boat all very close to my daughter. Accidents do happen though so if you aren't comfortable on the water, in a boat, don't have water safety and rescue skills it is probably a good idea to wear a life jacket at all times.

Personally the only time I wear a life jacket is when I go water-skiing and I really don't see what the purpose of wearing one would be while just out fishing. I'm more comfortable without it. Be safe though, I'm a bad example when it comes to life jackets.... I'm practically a fish in the water.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:03 AM

You tell em Brandon !!!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:12 PM

Well here's my two cents.was on the lake last week noticed a guy in his 14 thinner took in a big wave by some ya hoo in a giant ski boat because he was being a jack ass boat started to go down fast trapped his four year old lab and the dog drowned I'll end it their.happends fast and sure opened my eyes.just saying
Old 08-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1 View Post
Well here's my two cents.was on the lake last week noticed a guy in his 14 thinner took in a big wave by some ya hoo in a giant ski boat because he was being a jack ass boat started to go down fast trapped his four year old lab and the dog drowned I'll end it their.happends fast and sure opened my eyes.just saying
That's sad. . Poor pup
Old 08-12-2014, 01:58 PM

Everyone should be aware that there is a blue-green algae warning in effect for this lake.
http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/...moose-lake.pdf

it says:
DO NOT DRINK WATER
directly from, or allow your pets to drink
water directly from, this lake
Boiling this contaminated lake
water will not remove toxins. Provide an
alternative source of drinking water for pets
and livestock.

DO NOT SWIM OR WADE
or allow your pets to swim or wade in
this lake
AVOID CONTACT
with blue - green algae along the shoreline
DO NOT feed whole fish or fish trimmings from this lake
to your pets
People may wish to limit their own
consumption of whole fish and
fish trimmings from
this lake, as it is known that fish may store toxins in
their liver
People can safely consume
fish fillets from this lake
Old 08-12-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Accidents do happen though so if you aren't comfortable on the water, in a boat, don't have water safety and rescue skills it is probably a good idea to wear a life jacket at all times.
It's got nothing to do with your confidence and boating abilities. I'm sure that the majority of parents on this forum could tell a story of when they took their eye off their kid for a split second and something bad happened.

Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post
I don't think it's any of your business. .. competent boaters who are confident... pretty sure shes in direct reach of her parents...
How dare anyone question a person's right to disregard their child's safety!!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:25 PM

Default DOT safe boating laws

Best to review the regulations ,we should know , when we got our PCO
Licence.

Scenario . 3adults ,1child ( 10yrs old ) boating .....boat capsizes .....
1adult drowns , 2 adults and child able to get to shore ....despite no
Lifejackets on . They are in the storage compartment .

RCMP officer asks child .....Did the licensed operator or captain
Before embarking show you how to use and location of lifejackets .
Child does not lie says NO .
Deep doo doo here , many regs breached , Captain in legal hot
Water . Maybe manslaughter .....

As a instructor and tester for the PCO licence . As well as Federal
Safe boating instructor ,I was bemused by how stupid boaters are .
Old 08-12-2014, 07:42 PM

First of all. very nice fish and pics.

Secondly, I also swim like a fish ( was competitive for years) and have an aversion to wearing my life vest as well.

Once, when we were on the water, someone asked me why I didn't wear a vest.

I told him, I can swim, I don't need it.

He said to me, unconscious people can't swim---made me think twice about not wearing my vest...I do now!

Things can and do happen in the blink of an eye, and yes, you are not immune.

Maybe nothing will happen to you and maybe, next time, or the time after that, someone loses control of their boat and runs into or over yours.

Your life jackets are in the storage locker and you drown because you are unconscious, your little girl now has no daddy, or dies along with you and leaves the rest of your family devastated......just something to think about.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:50 PM

What is happening here guys??? Do you have a problem with people using their own common sense, rational decision making. Please reference my first comment I already agreed people should wear life jackets and it is a personal choice not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
How dare anyone question a person's right to disregard their child's safety!!
But it's ok for you to say I disregard my child's safety???? You are insinuating that I don't care about my kids, that I am not capable of caring for them. I believe you are wrong! it has everything to do with your abilities and experience on the water.

My abilities and experience since you've pointed out my incompetence as a parent - completed basic swimming levels, competition training, life saving, life guarding, SCUBA cert, MD, ACLS cert, BLS cert, thousands upon thousands of hours on the water, real life water rescues (saved my brother's life, cross canada news a few years ago... here's the video if you missed it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P5P...G9Row&index=21 )

All of these are worth nothing if I was to be knocked unconscious, but what are the chances of that? It hasn't happened in 31 years... and it's going to happen fishing? Seriously? Maybe someone who consumes alcohol or has some other impairment like sight, hearing or age against them.

We use life-jackets when appropriate ... like water-skiing cause you never know when a crushing wipe out like this could happen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6py...l6DqiD-YuG9Row

I hope you guys all wear a life jacket on the water and ON THE ICE as well as your kids. Because if they don't .... well you might just want to think about that!

Old 08-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Banned

wow

nice perogie
Old 08-12-2014, 10:06 PM

Your abilities on the water mean jack squat if some drunk boater nails your boat broadside........would your ability as a boater help you there?
Nice eyes btw.
Think of the vest as it was a seatbelt, even the best drivers in the world buckle the kids in. Please rethink this.

Last edited by pickrel pat; 08-12-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Your abilities on the water mean jack squat if some drunk boater nails your boat broadside........would your ability as a boater help you there?
Nice eyes btw.
Think of the vest as it was a seatbelt, even the best drivers in the world buckle the kids in. Please rethink this.

Ok, that better?

Old 08-12-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Ok, that better?

That's your pb kalamalka rainbow?
Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
That's your pb kalamalka rainbow?
Well that's my daughters personal best Kalamalka Rainbow. Mine was a little bigger.

http://www.redcross.ca/crc/documents...oating_fnl.pdf
Here is a great read about boating fatalities in Canada over the last 18 years. You can learn a lot. Seems experience, alcohol, size of boat, where you're boating and so on all matter contrary to some statements.

Also an interesting fact noted is about 12% of people who drown by immersion are wearing their life jacket, which is only slightly lower than the percentage of people who actually wear a life jacket. Therefore does wearing a life jacket really reduce your death by immersion. It also says the majority of people who drown are classified as weak or non swimmers. It also states of the deaths that do occur children under 15 years old only account for 3% of them.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
What is happening here guys??? Do you have a problem with people using their own common sense, rational decision making. Please reference my first comment I already agreed people should wear life jackets and it is a personal choice not to.

But it's ok for you to say I disregard my child's safety???? You are insinuating that I don't care about my kids, that I am not capable of caring for them. I believe you are wrong! it has everything to do with your abilities and experience on the water.

My abilities and experience since you've pointed out my incompetence as a parent - completed basic swimming levels, competition training, life saving, life guarding, SCUBA cert, MD, ACLS cert, BLS cert, thousands upon thousands of hours on the water, real life water rescues (saved my brother's life, cross canada news a few years ago... here's the video if you missed it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P5P...G9Row&index=21 )

All of these are worth nothing if I was to be knocked unconscious, but what are the chances of that? It hasn't happened in 31 years... and it's going to happen fishing? Seriously? Maybe someone who consumes alcohol or has some other impairment like sight, hearing or age against them.

We use life-jackets when appropriate ... like water-skiing cause you never know when a crushing wipe out like this could happen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6py...l6DqiD-YuG9Row

I hope you guys all wear a life jacket on the water and ON THE ICE as well as your kids. Because if they don't .... well you might just want to think about that!

You haven't died in 31 years either but you know it going to happen.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
You haven't died in 31 years either but you know it going to happen.
Well that's just silly.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:39 PM

Just quit arguing guys, if he wants to claim he is right about his acts on the water just let him be, perhaps he is right. If you believe wear pdf's are good then just use 'em yourselves. It's his safety. So just calm down and be more peaceful. And Brandon, I'm sure they're just concerned 'bout your family and your safety. Btw nice fish you got there
Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 AM
Banned

Quit criticizing every Damn thing on AO.. you need to get lives. ... it's his choice what he does with his children. ..by the sounds of you irrational citiots one should wear a helmet while driving a car, walking on street "just in case"..... give me a break
Old 08-13-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Quit criticizing every Damn thing on AO.. you need to get lives. ... it's his choice what he does with his children. ..by the sounds of you irrational citiots one should wear a helmet while driving a car, walking on street "just in case"..... give me a break
Old 08-13-2014, 08:22 AM

Default Life jackets?........

I am always amused by posts jumping on a fellow .

Some standard wasn't high enough for someone. ( in this case Brandon isn't seen with a life jacket ).

You know what I see?

As a retired person from environmental enforcement , retired from Yukon guiding, and still getting out on the water weekends and teaching the know-it -Alls stuff for my day job today, I see a lot of really low calibre posts on this forum.

And that's my opinion , just like yours .......

Outstanding reading as usual .

By the way Brandon , interesting posts . Thank you
Old 08-13-2014, 09:01 AM

Default Open to interpretation

I've seen that document previously , what I see is more deaths occur
Rec. boating than fishing , more immersed deaths than trauma , most trauma
While tubing . More unavailable life jackets than not worn . Collisions are
Negligible . I was surprised urinating had such low numbers.
Big numbers for alcohol in all categories .

But end result always the same ......funeral...hey a guy can have a heart
Attack anytime ,or an aneurism .....at any age ,I say this cause my buddies
28 yr. old son ,mtn. Biking just had one ....out in the middle of no where ...

Good intentions save no one .....as a former fishing guru ,I know you have to be the full package , especially in the common sense areas . I watched an old
Acquaintance on TV , Even the Babe made a big deal out of making sure ,the
Flotation devices were easily accessible .

I just expect more from someone advertising himself as a Doctor of sorts .
That says to me professional , ok , not so much ,it's just fishing

Oh definitely nice fish , cute kid ....
Old 08-13-2014, 09:09 AM
Banned

Can't believe all the negative posts. I guess some people are not happy unless they have something to complain about, and would probably feel safer if the govt. regulated every tiny aspect of their insecure lives. Accidents can happen to anyone no matter how prepared or equipped you may be.
great pics. Brandon. Your daughter looked very comfortable holding a fish (lots of kids are scared of the fish), and you all looked very happy as you enjoyed a beautifull day.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
nice perogie
If the photo were taken from the right side of the perogie, you get the "OMG, what were they thinking?" view. It's kinda like the worlds largest peach in Georgia.

Couldn't find a doctors' group recommending that children not wear life jackets. Found this instead.
http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/handouts/water_safety
Old 08-13-2014, 09:59 AM
Banned

Brandonkop, I am by no means an advocate of telling people how to live their lives, and in most cases I don't wear a life vest, but I'll tell you a couple fish stories of my own.

This year, kayak fishing the pembina river with my family, 4 of us, 3 kayaks, my 2yr old was riding on mine sitting within 1/4 of an arms length. Little guy wants to put his hands in the water, same time I'm turning to grab my fishing rod, and both my son and wife are behind me and can't see our little guy. Bloop, in the water he goes. I grab the rope I have tethered to my life vest and his, pull him back in the boat and everybody is laughing.

6 years ago, 3 adults, 2 boys aged 4 and 5 fishing in the NSR river. We had been there for probably 4-5hrs and the boys were playing in the water the whole time, no life vests because where they are playing the water isn't deep, and there are 3 adults there watching. One adult hooks into a huge sturgeon, now all the attention is focused on the battle. I get a tug on my pant leg "Dad, Dad, save him! I turn and look to see my friends 4yr old, only his eyes and nose above water as he is being swept down current. He never made a peep before I dove in and grabbed him. If it weren't for my son paying attention to his buddy instead of the fish like all the other adults, that boy would have lost his life that day, because for that one moment, the responsible adults weren't doing what they should have been.

I'm sure most of the people who are posting on the life vest issue are parents. You might swim like a fish, but your daughter can't. If you think she's uncomfortable wearing a life vest while fishing, think about how uncomfortable it would be coming home from fishing and explaining to your daughters mother why she won't see her little angel any more.

My children mean everything to me, as I'm sure yours do to you. Keep her in a vest until she can make the decision to wear one or not. I've seen it happen twice, fortunately with a happy ending, there are thousands who haven't been so lucky. I enjoy reading your posts and hearing about your adventures and would hate to hear a tragic story one day from, or about you.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:24 AM
Banned

Your fishing rivers in a kayak for 1..
Rivers have current for 2....

I Am sure any parent would probably have their child in a life vest on a river... I know I would. ..Especially in a kayak... it's quite a bit different then in a boat on a dead calm lake. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Brandonkop, I am by no means an advocate of telling people how to live their lives, and in most cases I don't wear a life vest, but I'll tell you a couple fish stories of my own.

This year, kayak fishing the pembina river with my family, 4 of us, 3 kayaks, my 2yr old was riding on mine sitting within 1/4 of an arms length. Little guy wants to put his hands in the water, same time I'm turning to grab my fishing rod, and both my son and wife are behind me and can't see our little guy. Bloop, in the water he goes. I grab the rope I have tethered to my life vest and his, pull him back in the boat and everybody is laughing.

6 years ago, 3 adults, 2 boys aged 4 and 5 fishing in the NSR river. We had been there for probably 4-5hrs and the boys were playing in the water the whole time, no life vests because where they are playing the water isn't deep, and there are 3 adults there watching. One adult hooks into a huge sturgeon, now all the attention is focused on the battle. I get a tug on my pant leg "Dad, Dad, save him! I turn and look to see my friends 4yr old, only his eyes and nose above water as he is being swept down current. He never made a peep before I dove in and grabbed him. If it weren't for my son paying attention to his buddy instead of the fish like all the other adults, that boy would have lost his life that day, because for that one moment, the responsible adults weren't doing what they should have been.

I'm sure most of the people who are posting on the life vest issue are parents. You might swim like a fish, but your daughter can't. If you think she's uncomfortable wearing a life vest while fishing, think about how uncomfortable it would be coming home from fishing and explaining to your daughters mother why she won't see her little angel any more.

My children mean everything to me, as I'm sure yours do to you. Keep her in a vest until she can make the decision to wear one or not. I've seen it happen twice, fortunately with a happy ending, there are thousands who haven't been so lucky. I enjoy reading your posts and hearing about your adventures and would hate to hear a tragic story one day from, or about you.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Your fishing rivers in a kayak for 1..
Rivers have current for 2....

I Am sure any parent would probably have their child in a life vest on a river... I know I would. ..Especially in a kayak... it's quite a bit different then in a boat on a dead calm lake. ...
I can only make suggestions. Do you think ANYONE has ever planned on letting their kid drown?

You might not care about your kids life, or the life of your buddies kids, I do.

Current or not, have you been on a lake in Alberta??? 2-3ft visibility that's it!!! 5 seconds and it is all over but the crying and realization that a 3yr old can't fricken swim.

I don't care if you, or anyone else wants to take my advise. Advocating children not wearing a life vest is foolish.

Btw, I have a 17ft Lund pro sport and both my 2yr old and 11yr old wear a life vest when we're on the lake, it just so happens I haven't had an incident on the lake..... yet! But if it happens, my kids will be coming home to tell the story that's what I know.

Tags
fishing, gopro, moose lake, spring, walleye