Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2018, 07:42 PM

Default what phone do I need

Thinking about joining the herd and getting a cell phone. To many options for a guy like me. I would spend about 2 hours a month on the web, need a good battery, I make hour long calls to friends throughout Canada, and I would run the gps about 6 hrs a month. I found a plan with unlimited calling and unlimited text with 2GB data. Sounds right? But I need a phone. Not interested in the latest greatest, just good value. A decent, not great camera, gps, cost is a factor and I would be open to refurbished. Any suggestions? thank you.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-24-2018, 07:59 PM

I had a Samsung 4 & then upgraded to the 7.Both of them puked on me looseing all my contacts on the 4.The 7 just kept doing complete shut downs.Had to get a wiz guy to get it to come back to life .At least 3-4 times.I have a IpHONE now.For an old dinosaur like me,it is a challenge.But at least they offer a free school session.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:02 PM

I'm an Android guy. Bought a Samsung A5 over a year ago and it has met my every need. I would think it would meet your needs based on your post.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:11 PM

Likely pick up a samsung s6 or s7 for cheap. Good battery life, nice screen, very good camera.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:13 PM

I was happy with my S5 until it was drowned a week ago, but the A8 that I got to replace it, has much better battery life, and Koodo has a great deal on them.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:26 PM

no matter what you buy, lets say a Samsung Galaxy s7 do a google search for:
Samsung Galaxy s7 battery problems
Samsung Galaxy s7 reviews
Samsung Galaxy s7 problems

I am not an ikoolaid drinker, far prefer android.

That said I have a very nice iPhone 5c (I think) that my wife was using as a backup phone, if you want it you can have it for $50

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-24-2018, 09:24 PM

I've had my S5 for 4 years and it as worked well, without issue. My Mrs has the S7 Edge and also seems to like it. Other than the phone seems to update every few months and she has to re-organize things. (Bell network dealio maybe?)
Old 09-24-2018, 10:00 PM

I am using an S7 edge, like it but am real glad I utilize Geek Squad Warranty. In less than a year there was a vertical line through it. New phone in 3 days. The battery was not great on that one within a year, new phone in 3 days.
I just bought a s9 plus hope it is good.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 09-24-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:05 PM

If your older and not tech savvy, go iPhone. Very simple to navigate through.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:35 PM

Am I the only one still loving my Blackberry? My current Passport is 2 years old and going strong, but I have a second one that I have already loaded all contacts and pics/videos/music onto for the day something finally happens (already dropped #1 off 10' scaffold. No damage). Comes with 32 GB storage, and you can pop in a micro SD for another 128 GB. Try that with an Iphone....Long battery life. Super easy to navigate. Phone, email, text, browse. Quick as the Iphone 6 Samsung 7, but you can pick them up unlocked for under $300. Love having an actual keyboard. I pulled my old BlackBerry Classic out the other day, haven't run it for over two years....fired right up and battery at 70% still...what?? They just work, and they are tough.

Flame away.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-24-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
If your older and not tech savvy, go iPhone. Very simple to navigate through.
Agreed. I’ve had Android, Blackberry, and iPhone. Enjoyed the simplicity and durability of the iPhone the most. Had a 5S that lasted me over 3 years, half of that without a case and I use my phone a lot. Battery life was even still good. Still works fine and screen isn’t cracked, just had the option to upgrade. All my other phones wore out within a year.

Went to an iPhone 5SE, has 126 gb storage, works great. Didn’t cost me anything on my current plan.

That said, can’t really go wrong with any phones. Just don’t get a Huawei.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:55 PM

Samsung S7 is waterproof and with an otterbox you can drop it all over the place. It has a great camera for a phone from a few years ago.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

If and when indomitable again sucker is going to be waterproof, able to be tossed around bounce and work, Google most durable phones for out door use...that's the route I would go therefore when and you will knock it off the table etc your not looking at shattered glass, or if it sits out In the rain It doesn't go wonky etc
Buddy at work had one and I asked to see it well he tossed it six feet over my head it bounced off the wall and landed in a sink full of dishes....I scrambled p, called him a few names just to pull it out of the water and not a mark on it etc...he spends a lot of time outdoors in tuff terrain/environments.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-27-2018, 07:39 PM

So I ordered this phone on the med tab,
https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/samsung-galaxy-a8

And this plan, cheaper than my home phone. Welcome to the new age. lol

$45 per month
+ applicable monthly tab charge
2 GB of Shock-Free™ data3
500 Canada-wide anytime minutes
Unlimited messaging (text & picture)1
Unlimited evenings and weekends (5pm)4
Call Display, Voicemail, Call Waiting, Conference Calling and Unlimited Canada-wide Family Calling2
Additional data $10/100 MB; additional talk rates $0.60/min
$30 connection fee (including SIM card) applies when purchased in store
$0 connection fee (including SIM card) when you order online!

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-27-2018, 08:09 PM

Think you'll be pretty happy with it.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:29 PM

Careful Piker, next you'll stop using cash, you'll be using apps on your phone for everything!

And Koodo is a great carrier, been with them for years. Great plan.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-27-2018, 09:06 PM

I've been using this phone since I bought it three years ago. I didn't have one in high school but I had to buy one when I started working.

My first cell phone

I think that I'm the only one in my age group who uses a flip phone.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:47 AM

It is really 6 of one half dozen if the other for this case. Any smartphone will meet and exceed your criteria.

Just go into the store navigate around on an Android phone and an iPhone and see which interface you like better.

I personally prefer android and can offer suggestions for phones that are good but not too high end and overpriced for what you need.

Samsung A5 or A8
Huawei P20
LG G6 or G5
Samsung Galaxy S8
Asus Zenfone
Moto G6

With the plan you are talking about all of these phones should be offered for "free" on a 2 year term for under $100/month bill (should be closer to the $70/month mark in Alberta).

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk