Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-22-2017, 08:10 PM

Default Wall Tent Bunk Beds

Planning to build some bunk beds for the wall tent. Need to be easily assembled and easy to transport out to the bush. Was thinking on using 2x4s and bolting it all together. Maybe building the end frames as one piece and bolting the rails on. I do not want to reinvent the wheel, if there is anyone out there who has a good design and would not mind sharing. PM me the pictures or a description.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2017, 09:37 PM

We did this back in the late 90s to about 2003. Some of us had cots but we built an "L"shape double bunk. It was placed along one side wall and half the back wall. The other half of back wall fit 2 cots. We built it with 2x4 and plywood and varathaned it to seal it up and easy to maintain

We need room for gear as friends in camp grew.

I would suggest going with the Disco-cot bunks. That's all we use in camp now. Our tent is bigger than before but more guys too now. Everyone has the top to sleep on and gear for the lower. When the kids come out for a few nights, they have a place to sleep. Downfall is they are a heavy item to pack but are in small pouches.

Buy the XL version with the end lockers, it's nice
Old 08-22-2017, 10:43 PM

Our camp has also done the bunk thing. 4x7 ft. Made 2 ladder frames from 4x4s ( they were sourced for free). Sheeted framework to a finished dimension of 5x7 bunks. Bottom bunk 16" off the ground, and top one 3 ft above bottom one. X frame on both ends with side rails on top. Worked well for many years. Slept 4 of us (my buddy and our boys ) in a 12x 14 tent. Left it tipped on its side in the bush as we used the same camp for many years.
X2 on the Cabelas stacked cots these days. 6 or 7 of us in deer camp nowadays with bigger tent.