Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-03-2017, 10:20 AM

Question Primitive Trapping

Good morning,

I have a question and would like to clarify some things first before I ask, otherwise it might sound stupid :

I am not a trapper, I don't have a trapping license, I don't own a trap line or any private land. I am just interested in primitive hunting and trapping methods and did a bit research on both. I moved over here from Germany and have completed my hunters education and have also hunted already here in Alberta. I am planning to do my trappers education and license this year as well.

Right now I am getting interested in trapping, especially in primitive methods. My understanding of the regulations is, that I can hunt and trap beaver on private owned land where I have access to and written permission of the owner, without a trapping license, is that right? Does that also count for squirrels, rabbits, magpies and coyotes? Furthermore I would like to know if it is allowed to use primitive traps which ensure an ethical kill (e.g. figure 4 deadfall traps, windlass traps etc.)?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Old 01-03-2017, 11:03 AM

There is a list of authorized traps per fur bearing species (certain sizes, types and brands) that are legal to use in Alberta

Just because they sell a certain brand of trap at a store like Cabelas or Halfords, does not mean it is legal to use for that specific species of animal

you cannot legally use primitive traps and kill animals with them in Alberta, even if you believe it to be humane

primitive trapping would only be used in a dire survival type scenario like the collapse of society or if you got stranded in the bush somehow and needed food

rabbits and magpies are not fur bearers and their rules are under hunting regulations

coyotes, beavers and squirrels are fur bearers and have different specific rules for both hunting and trapping

you will learn all the rules and authorized traps in yours trappers course/manual

Last edited by D4l3k; 01-03-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4l3k View Post
There is a list of authorized traps per fur bearing species (certain sizes, types and brands) that are legal to use in Alberta

Just because they sell a certain brand of trap at a store like Cabelas or Halfords, does not mean it is legal to use for that specific species of animal

you cannot legally use primitive traps and kill animals with them in Alberta, even if you believe it to be humane

primitive trapping would only be used in a dire survival type scenario like the collapse of society or if you got stranded in the bush somehow and needed food

rabbits and magpies are not fur bearers and their rules are under hunting regulations

coyotes, beavers and squirrels are fur bearers and have different specific rules for both hunting and trapping

you will learn all the rules and authorized traps in yours trappers course/manual
Hi D4l3k,

thanks for your answers, they help already a lot! I had already a proper read through several regulations, however one thing was not 100% clear: Can I hunt squirrels or not on private land and crown land/natural areas? Some sources consider them as a pest others as a fur bearing animal, so I have a hard time understanding it right.

The link below for example says that a grey squirrel is a pest animal:
http://www.cbc.ca/calgary/features/pests/

The link below states that accordingly to the "The Agreement on International Humane Trapping Standards" traditional wooden dead-fall traps are allowed to use. Could you let me know what you think about that?
http://mywildalberta.com/Trapping/Hu...g/Default.aspx

Are you a trapper, if you don't mind asking?

Again, thanks for you help!

Last edited by FatWookie; 01-03-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:19 PM

Yes i am a junior partner on a RFMA

Alberta trapping laws are based on the guidelines of AIHTS

however the list of allowed traps are in the alberta trapping regulations supersedes the AIHTS agreement, and do not include dead fall traps for several species

http://albertaregulations.ca/trappingregs/gen-regs.html

also there are date specific seasons for trapping just like there are for hunting

http://albertaregulations.ca/trappin...s-seasons.html

Problem animals for land owners on private land has its own rules listed here:

http://albertaregulations.ca/trappin...oblem-wildlife

Last edited by D4l3k; 01-03-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
The AIHTS:

Allows for continuing export of wild fur products into the EU.
Commits all parties to applying the AIHTS standards to all trapping, including commercial use.
Supports further research and testing for the ongoing improvement of trapping devices.
Provides for other elements such as product certification, trap certification and trapper education.
Will allow for the use of jaw-type leg/foothold restraining traps in submersion sets for semi-aquatic fur-bearers.
Allows for the use of design-approved snares.
Allows for the use of traditional wooden dead-fall traps.
Prohibits the use of all jaw-type leg/foothold restraining traps (including padded traps) on land for badger, beaver, ermine, fisher, marten, muskrat and otter. Alberta adopted similar legislation for these species, and others before the AIHTS became effective.
Prohibits the use of conventional steel-jawed leghold restraining traps on land for bobcat, coyote, lynx, raccoon and wolf.
These may be used, although I would only recommend using them for smaller animals such as marten, weasel and squirrel. I have had success with and know people who have used designs similar to this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kalyoomka.jpg (40.8 KB, 83 views)
Old 01-04-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTrapper View Post
These may be used, although I would only recommend using them for smaller animals such as marten, weasel and squirrel. I have had success with and know people who have used designs similar to this.
Thanks for the help and the picture! I won't use something like that on bigger animals, no worries
Old 01-04-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4l3k View Post
Yes i am a junior partner on a RFMA

Problem animals for land owners on private land has its own rules listed here:

http://albertaregulations.ca/trappin...oblem-wildlife
So I come to the conclusion that:

I can hunt and trap problem wildlife (such as squirrel or rabbits) on private owned land, where I has right of access through the whole year, is that right?

Furthermore I can use wooden traps on small game which is considered as problem wildlife on private land (such as squirrels or rabbits) without a trapping license?

I can hunt rabbits through the whole year on public land, right?

And one of the most important: I can't hunt squirrels on public land since they are fur bearers, right?

Sorry, but the regulations are not 100% clear and I want to make sure to follow the law all the time.