Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-28-2016, 11:19 AM
Banned

Default Black Bobcat

Black bobcat snared in N.B., only 12th ever recorded in North America
Oswald McFadden trapped a rare black bobcat on Christmas Day near Cocagne, in southeastern New Brunswick

By Shane Fowler, CBC News Posted: Dec 28, 2016 8:23 AM AT Last Updated: Dec 28, 2016 12:58 PM AT

Studies show there has only been one other black bobcat caught in Canada.

"I thought it was a house cat," said Oswald McFadden, who has run the same trapline for the last decade.

"When I saw the tail I knew it wasn't a house cat. Then I looked at the ears, I knew it was definitely a bobcat."

Melanism is a genetic trait that displays a black-coloured pigment and can often be found in species like squirrels and jaguars.

Much like jaguars, this bobcat's spots and markings can still be seen in bright lights.

"It's a soft and beautiful coat," said McFadden.

"I've been in these woods all my life and never seen anything like this."

The black male bobcat was trapped near Henry Lake and is now mounted at the New Brunswick Museum.

The article says there's only been 10 other melanistic bobcats ever recorded — all found in Florida.

"The only way it could have been better is if my two daughters would have been with me," said McFadden.

"They usually are — but it was Christmas — so I guess I can't blame them for that."

McFadden's pictures of the big cat have been shared thousands of times online.

It's gotten to the point where American hunters are claiming the animal was caught in states like Virginia and Pennsylvania.

"It's weird the way the internet works," said McFadden.

"But this was here basically in my own backyard where I live and grew up."

The cat was already dead when McFadden checked his trap, but when asked if he'd encountered the animal alive, he said it's possible.

"I don't know, I can't answer that," said McFadden. "An albino deer, I saw one last year and I didn't shoot it, so?"

McFadden might donate the animal to a museum, sell it, or mount it for himself.

So far he's had offers from those willing to purchase the carcass worth $1,000, or in exchange for a guided bow-hunting trip to hunt elk.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...tmas-1.3913761
Old 12-28-2016, 11:47 AM

Thanks for posting this.
That is pretty amazing.
I would of assumed it would be worth significantly more then the $1000 the acticle claims with it being so rare?
Old 12-28-2016, 07:23 PM
Banned

Pretty cool !

Old 12-29-2016, 10:17 AM

"Studies show there has only been one other black bobcat caught in Canada."

And now there are none left...nice job!
Old 12-29-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post

I agree, its unfortunate that he harvested this unique animal, with few if any remaining. However, I don't think he can be blamed for taking it, sort of a luck of the draw thing....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2016, 12:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Black bobcat snared in N.B., only 12th ever recorded in North America
Oswald McFadden trapped a rare black bobcat on Christmas Day near Cocagne, in southeastern New Brunswick
That is a catch of a lifetime.

I have seen two unique color fur animals both were Beaver.
My foster brother caught a coal black Beaver in the early 70s and big brother caught a white Beaver in the late 1970s

The Black beaver was sold to the Dominion Sudack auction house. It fetched a little over $600.00. Top price for a normal Beaver that year was around $35.00.

He got a letter from the auction house that said his pelt would go to the Queen. It went on to say the Canada has an agreement with the Queen that all black Beaver caught in Canada would be sold to the Queen and no one else.
I don't know if that was true, but it's what they said.

The white Beaver was sold to a local businessman for $400.00 even.
Our local Hudson's Bay buyer said he didn't think it would sell for more then ten dollars at auction. My brother wrote to the auction house and they agreed that it wouldn't be worth much but they wouldn't put a price on it. So when a local fellow offered $400.00 my brother jumped on it.
He did have to pay for tanning to make it legal but he still made a tidy profit. That was a months wages for a lot of folks back then.

I would have thought that any rare color would be worth more but it seems that is not always the case with wild fur.
Dad claimed that the furriers wouldn't pay for a one of a kind color because they would have not have enough fur of that color to make anything of great value from it.
Private buyers are a different matter. They might pay a fortune for a Cat like that.

The only other off color fur I've heard of was a Marten our neighbor caught in the 1990s. I did not see it but those who did said it was bright Orange, like the chest patch was covering the whole body.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-29-2016, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:

Now there's a well thought out post......Sheesh. So I guess that you decided that he caught the only black bobcat in existence and there will never be another one right? How do you know that? I wonder if people like you said that about the first bobcat caught.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:55 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

Meh!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-29-2016, 02:07 PM

I read there was another one caught in the same area in 1983. A trapper claims to have seen one in 2007 about 60 miles from where this one was caught. It's a recessive gene and must be passed from each parent to get black. It's in the gene pool in that area. I don't doubt there are more.

I really hope for this guys sake this doesn't get blown out of proportion, he didn't do anything wrong. He had bobcat tags and it's clearly tagged, he just happened to catch a very rare colour phase.

When I dropped my furs at Halfords a couple years ago there was a pie bald muskrat someone had trapped. Quite rare also I would think but not nearly as "cute" as a bobcat.

Many bear hunters would like to shoot a colour phase black bear such as brown or blonde. Is it really that much different?
Old 12-29-2016, 02:44 PM
Banned

On one of the US trapping facebook groups that I joined, periodically there's a picture of an unusual critter posted up. All kinds of piebald and albino critters of all different kinds are regularly caught. Apparently in some areas there's a fairly significant population of black coyotes as well. I'm sure that there are a lot of interesting critters everywhere that don't get caught that no one knows about.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:

This was a colour phase bobcat , and it was caught under full trapping regulations .
It is considered by done to bf rate only because of the color phase , it is unusual is all, it is still just a bobcat.
Your comments towards the trapper are neither warranted or appreciated .
Cat
Old 12-29-2016, 04:35 PM

Too late....it's already been blown out of proportion on NB Hunters FB page and other FB pages,lotsa uneducated,anti trapping comments unfortunately.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:

According to CBC article,this is at least the 2nd black bobcat caught in NB and approximately a dozen known in Canada.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:42 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
On one of the US trapping facebook groups that I joined, periodically there's a picture of an unusual critter posted up. All kinds of piebald and albino critters of all different kinds are regularly caught. Apparently in some areas there's a fairly significant population of black coyotes as well. I'm sure that there are a lot of interesting critters everywhere that don't get caught that no one knows about.

That's one I haven't heard of, so I googled it.

I had no idea, there are tons of photos of them.

This old dog just learned something new, to me.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-29-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
I agree, its unfortunate that he harvested this unique animal, with few if any remaining. However, I don't think he can be blamed for taking it, sort of a luck of the draw thing....

There are not " few remaining" , it is a case of a color phase animal and will happen again over time, same as piebald animals.
As far as being blown out of proportion Facebook, , I don't care, it will not happen here because this is not Facebook
Cat
Old 12-29-2016, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post

This was a colour phase bobcat , and it was caught under full trapping regulations .
It is considered by done to bf rate only because of the color phase , it is unusual is all, it is still just a bobcat.
Your comments towards the trapper are neither warranted or appreciated .
Cat
Not colorphase... Melanism

Quote:
- is a development of the dark-colored pigment melanin in the skin or its appendages and is the opposite of albinism. Historically, it was also the medical term for black jaundice.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:59 PM

Just a bobcat? It's (or was) a sentient being.

Anyway, since this is a discussion forum I was wondering why people trap, surely can't make a living from the sale of pelts.

Is it a hobby? Is it an income supplement activity? Just asking
Old 12-29-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
That's one I haven't heard of, so I googled it.

I had no idea, there are tons of photos of them.

This old dog just learned something new, to me.
Was at halfords before Christmas dropping some fur off and there were two fully black coyotes in the pile of fur. Betty said they were trapped in Alberta. I would love to get one they were amazing looking.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:08 PM

It's time for someone to go fly a kite.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Just a bobcat? It's (or was) a sentient being.

Anyway, since this is a discussion forum I was wondering why people trap, surely can't make a living from the sale of pelts.

Is it a hobby? Is it an income supplement activity? Just asking

I believe it's been a source of income in North America for more than 150+ years. Read a history book and you may learn something. Anyway I hope you enjoyed your time "learning" on this forum.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:

Gee, I hope your kidding or being sarcastic.
Congrats to that trapper. What a rare animal to harvest, and he mentions in the article that he passed on an albino deer. Funny how karma can work.
Article states that that cat might be worth 1000.00. I sure hope he gets more than that. Something that rare has got to be worth closer to 10,000.00.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:38 PM

Cool

OK already, I'll just stick to fly tying and fishing.

But if anyone has one of those pelts to sell let me know, would make some good black wooley buggers!
Old 12-29-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Not colorphase... Melanism
Whatever, it is still a color phase which can happen .
Cat
Old 12-29-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Gee, I hope your kidding or being sarcastic.
Congrats to that trapper. What a rare animal to harvest, and he mentions in the article that he passed on an albino deer. Funny how karma can work.
Article states that that cat might be worth 1000.00. I sure hope he gets more than that. Something that rare has got to be worth closer to 10,000.00.
That cat will only be worth that much to a collector, and one has to find that particular person.As far as bobcat fur itself goes, it is off color .
Cat
Old 12-29-2016, 06:56 PM

Pretty cool. Thanks for posting it.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
OK already, I'll just stick to fly tying and fishing.

But if anyone has one of those pelts to sell let me know, would make some good black wooley buggers!
Hey flyguy, just start a thread asking what draws people to trapping. I would think you'll get some insight. I didn't realize either when I came to the trappers forum how tight knit this section and the trapper community can be.

Everyone can be defensive because some people just like to come in and stir things up. There's actually a really great bunch of guys who frequent this forum.

Remember if people are successful shutting down trapping they will then move on to hunting followed by fishing. I don't know what it would take to satisfy them but you can be sure the outdoor experiences we have now wil not be included.

I'm glad you're well aware most of those fly tying materials also came from a sentient being.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:07 PM

Well said.

I agree that the whole forum has a great bunch of participants and enthusiasts in their particular interests, so like that guy in the Sun newspaper says: "I'm just going shut my big yap!"
Old 12-29-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Hey flyguy, just start a thread asking what draws people to trapping. I would think you'll get some insight. I didn't realize either when I came to the trappers forum how tight knit this section and the trapper community can be.

Everyone can be defensive because some people just like to come in and stir things up. There's actually a really great bunch of guys who frequent this forum.

Remember if people are successful shutting down trapping they will then move on to hunting followed by fishing. I don't know what it would take to satisfy them but you can be sure the outdoor experiences we have now wil not be included.

I'm glad you're well aware most of those fly tying materials also came from a sentient being.

I couldn't imagine trapping fur with a hook in the mouth. Ouch. Lol. Done now.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:39 PM

Anyway. It's a beautiful catch. Wish it was me. Congrats to the trapper. If it was me I'd have done up for taxidermy. A great reminder of time in the outdoors.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:56 AM
Gone Hunting

Black Cats Matter!!!!!

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand