Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-01-2017, 02:59 PM

Ken are going to head out to PR this month? Myself and Rocky jockey will be going middle of the month. Hopefully the big coho are still there. Have been reading your reports as the summer goes along, thanks for the up dates.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:40 PM

I would love to but I hauled my boat back. Another 4000 km pulling the boat likely wont happen. I had a couple guys that wanted to go but nobody would commit so it followed me home.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-02-2017, 09:04 PM
AO Sponsor

Tough weekend for salmon of any sort, wind kept us in Saturday but able to go with a good outfit on Monday, spent a lot of time on the bottom but managed a couple real nice chinooks. Wish we would have spent much more time on the chinooks, such fine animals! Yum, both red!

Had two battles of my life, never fought a spring like that! Guide had the drag loose and I had to apply finger/palm drag... burned the heck out of my one finger! Wow! Like a 150 yard run at 100 mph! Nice fish not huge, 25 ish. Got me a big Hali too, never battled like that in a day.

Th word was few were finding salmon on Monday? But at the campground Sunday was a report of a boat limiting out on chinooks.

Ms. Dollie sez everybody's catching chinooks right now and not a whole heck of a lot of coho at the moment??? Don't shoot the poor bearer if I'm inaccurate!

The skeena was slow, but there was a few fish around, started seeing pinks on Sunday. The Kitimat had an opening on Monday so probably the poor chum/coho/pink fishers and snaggers had a couple slow days? If you did, th n that's why.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:59 PM

ohhhh- it is SOOOO hard not to hook onto the boat and head west again

I am fighting the urge, but losing I am afraid

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-02-2017, 11:47 PM

Three of us from AO are headed out Saturday for 9days.
Going to focus on coho. We usually limit on them and Hali and crab.
But we stay out/sleep on the boat and stay on the water the whole time.
Big Boat is in Smithers so we are not hauling too far.

In spite of our differences, I'd like to have a beer with you after a great day of fishing. Plus the more guys sharing info, the better the results.

And next year I'm taking the jetboat....so its safety (on the ocean) in numbers, and AO could have its own fishing armada/retreat.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:06 PM

Thanks Ken and Marty for the updates. I will let you all know what the fishing is like later this month. Blackheart it would be nice to hear how you guys do.

TEH

Old 08-03-2017, 03:38 PM

I like the idea of safety in numbers. Plus chatter on the radio helps bring in fish.
Best of luck be safe.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:31 PM

Heading to Painters Lodge on Tuesday for 4 days of fishing, never been to that neck of the woods. ANy of you guys have any tips on what to expect?
Old 08-03-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
Thanks Ken and Marty for the updates. I will let you all know what the fishing is like later this month. Blackheart it would be nice to hear how you guys do.

TEH
I will post as I get connection. If photobuket hadn't become a problem, I would post pics.

This time of year the coho salmon seem to come in spurts, so you gotta be ready to have lines in the water at 5:00am if necessary. And bino for the herring needle fish(?) balls breaking the surface and tie into the time the tide will be pushing the bait against the shoreline.

Or we just get lucky!!
Old 08-04-2017, 07:37 PM

I can't wait another year to go again.

I am thinking it is time now. C'mon buddy, let's head West!!!!!

Old 08-29-2017, 10:32 PM

Well just got back late last week from PR. Well I must say the fishing gods were not on my side this trip. Weather was lets say wet and wetter, not that big of a deal if your not made of sugar. Now the south and south east winds are a different story, 15 to 30 knots for 4 days made many spots unfishable. Got to anchor for bottom fish one day for only 1 hour.
We did get salmon and even a couple of respectable Chinooks and lost one very large spring at the back of the boat. How I know it was very large is that it did a triple jump with a one and half back flip in the pike position about 10 feet behind the boat. It was during this aerial performance that said spring salmon slipped the hook. Upon getting free it had to porpoise one more time behind the boat to just rub it in that it had won that battle.
Fishing was tough and we came back a few fish short but that is why they call it fishing not catching. Hooked up some very nice Coho during the trip with the largest be 15 lbs.

Already counting the days until next year

TEH