Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Banned

Default Washing Machine Tips

I recently added a washing machine to the shed and it's saved me a lot of time instead of washing by hand. I'm a little concerned about the quality of my fur after washing though. My pelts don't have the shine that they had when hand washing and the guard hairs look a little frizzy (?). I'm using Sunlight dish soap but I've been thinking about trying baby shampoo.

Anyone have any tips for using a washing machine?
Old 12-28-2016, 02:18 PM

I used to machine wash all my coyotes when I did the trapping thing. Max of 3 coyotes per load, I used dish soap as well but very little. Too much soap and you wash out the natural oils. I then ran them thru the dryer at lowest possible heat....they turned out very good.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:38 PM

theres a guy on youtube called cooncreek outdoors that has a fur washing video. he doesnt use any soap at all from what i recall
Old 12-28-2016, 03:44 PM

We use pet shampoo from Walmart and are happy with the results.The comparison between washed/unwashed is very noticeable and the dirty water that results says a lot as well.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I recently added a washing machine to the shed and it's saved me a lot of time instead of washing by hand. I'm a little concerned about the quality of my fur after washing though. My pelts don't have the shine that they had when hand washing and the guard hairs look a little frizzy (?). I'm using Sunlight dish soap but I've been thinking about trying baby shampoo.

Anyone have any tips for using a washing machine?

How long you putting them in for Dave? From what I understand, washing machines work well but you can't run it for too long. Maybe 2 or 3 minutes. I wash by hand with a small bit of Dawn. I like the way they look but wish I could wring them out with a washer to dry faster. I hang dry for a day before boarding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2016, 07:17 PM
Banned

I use a mix of detergents in warm water, then rinse with cold.

- 50ml Sunlight
- 150ml brand "X" liquid clothing detergent
- 50ml fabric softener

I finish with a few sprays of "Straight Arrow" mane 'n tail hair strengthener while brushing.

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 12-28-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:09 PM

I use baby shampoo with a snort of fabric softener ..was a thread on here last year about washing yote ..only wash for about 3 min ... if you can spin them then hang for cuple hours you can board then
Old 12-28-2016, 10:31 PM
Banned

Thanks for the tips, fellas. One thing.....after your wash cycle, regardless of what you are using for a detergent, do you wash again to rinse?

The washing machine is very convenient but I'm not satisfied with the end results in comparison to washing by hand. I'm ditching the sunlight detergent and going with something mild like pet or baby shampoo. Wash time will be reduced to only a minute or two followed by a one minute rinse and spin. If I'm still not happy with that I'll try straight water with no rinse.

I hate experimenting with money but I guess that I'll have to find a method that works best with a machine. Hopefully I can replicate a hand wash. I'll find out tomorrow or Friday when I turn the pelts I guess.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
We use pet shampoo from Walmart and are happy with the results.The comparison between washed/unwashed is very noticeable and the dirty water that results says a lot as well.
im using same thing it's all natural and doesn't contain any enzymes and they look great afterwards,i do by hand
Old 12-29-2016, 11:16 AM

i wash with regular shampoo. i toss two or three pelts into the washing machine at a time. set it to delicate. and add a few tablespoonfuls of shampoo to the wash water. its very little soap per water amount. the rinse on my machine is quick and the spin cycle helps dry the pelts quite a bit! easy peasy
Old 12-29-2016, 11:59 AM
Banned

What I am hearing/reading, is that settings are on delicate and rinse cycles.
Am I to assume that you are using the household washer to do this and not the older agitator models ? Or how many are using the house machine (when the wife is not home ?
Old 12-29-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
What I am hearing/reading, is that settings are on delicate and rinse cycles.
Am I to assume that you are using the household washer to do this and not the older agitator models ? Or how many are using the house machine (when the wife is not home ?
best not to use the wifes washing machine in my experience. i have a machine from work that wasnt being used to i set it up in the shop. its a regular top load washer. maybe 10 years old.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmparker View Post
best not to use the wifes washing machine in my experience. i have a machine from work that wasnt being used to i set it up in the shop. its a regular top load washer. maybe 10 years old.
HEAR HEAR..... x2, and I have a seperate freezer for "stuff".
Old 12-31-2016, 06:12 PM
Banned

Okay, I have things sorted out. I got rid of the detergent and picked up some Johnson & Johnson 2 in 1 baby shampoo and conditioner. Agitate about 30 seconds and then about two minutes on the easiest setting. No rinse and spin dry. Very little hair left in the drum. When I turn fur out on the board I put a strong fan in front of the pelts and it helps to separate the hair and fluff things up. Looking good now.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:01 PM

Default Washing Pelts

I agree washing pelts gives a good result but I have yet to see or determine if it gives a person a better price at auction . ?
Old 01-04-2017, 10:03 PM

I'm not sure how good a job nafa does drumming Coyotes nor do I trust a stranger to whip them into shape for the auction . I ll keep washing mine and I know for a fact my average reflects on it. I compare my avg to alot of trappers and I'll spend the extra 3 mins and wash mine.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:55 AM

Default Washing Coyotes

Agree , washing & not relying on someone else for good result . Has anyone been to NAFA to see the results of their drumming , I'm sure people would be interested in the results .
Old 01-05-2017, 06:45 PM

Here's what I know. There's about 15 trappers and custom skinners that I hang out with that are pretty competitive. We compare furs and nafa averages. There two guys in our group that rely on drumming. The basically skin,flesh sew and stretch. They avg at least 25 $ less and some years 30 percent of their furs don't sell. The most beautiful Coyotes I've seen were tumbled in a homemade 45 gallon drum with snow. Belcourt and sultker would fight for these Coyotes.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail200 View Post
Agree , washing & not relying on someone else for good result . Has anyone been to NAFA to see the results of their drumming , I'm sure people would be interested in the results .
Here's a picture of a sample of top lot (SSL) coyotes from a couple of years ago. My pelts already have that fluffiness when I turn them in but I'm sure that the nafa drumming must fluff them up as well. Don't know how much whiter the white would get though.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Here's a picture of a sample of top lot (SSL) coyotes from a couple of years ago. My pelts already have that fluffiness when I turn them in but I'm sure that the nafa drumming must fluff them up as well. Don't know how much whiter the white would get though.

Looks like those top lots don't even have the ear cartridge removed...I plan on going down to the next sale to watch the grading and talk to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2017, 07:33 AM

Default Washing Coyotes

Thanks for the discussion , Nice looking fur Dave , Coy Coyote , that's interesting comparison , are the two guys in your group going to start to wash their pelts . Belcourt & Sultker , names I haven't heard of in a while .
Old 01-06-2017, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Looks like those top lots don't even have the ear cartridge removed...I plan on going down to the next sale to watch the grading and talk to them.
Please take lots of pictures to share.

Speaking of pictures, that picture isn't mine so I suppose that I may be accused of stealing someone's work again.

Nah, 5911ryan posted it up to share it with his fellow Trappers and he's not a dink.

If I remember correctly Ryan found himself confused when he noticed clots of blood and matted hair on the pelts in the top lots. Also, like you mentioned, ear cartilage in, cartilage out, things like that. Hopefully things are clearer for you.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:37 PM

It would be nice to know what makes the differences and spend more time on what matters to them...After all the customer is always right!
Old 01-06-2017, 02:17 PM
Banned

Last year I took pictures of the front and back of about 70 pelts and tracked how they graded. No top lot due to colour but numerous in the second, third and fourth lots. One of these days I have to put something together with the photos and grade.