Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2019, 08:26 PM

Default Man Vs. Whitefish: Help I'm losing!!!

I have tried everything that everyone else is using at Travers, Gull, Sylvan, to no avail, at Calling Lake.

I have tied every micro jig and some wire worms under a slip bobber and have absolutely hammered the walleye, even 5 foot off the bottom in 10 FOW.

Conditions have always been a walleye chop, and we drift from deep to shallow. I don't know if that really matters???

Each time the Pale Dunn Mayflies have been hatching, and some whites where jumping so I know that they are there.

If anyone has some pointers, I would appreciate it. The fish are there, and there has to be something they will hit. I may have to go to a #16 PDM nymph as the last resort.

Drewski
Old 06-24-2019, 08:47 PM

Drew, from speaking to other people out on Calling, they catch them most commonly fishing relatively deep sand-bowl areas while trolling small spinner rigs. Obviously you are going to catch walleye with this method, but the odd whitefish should start getting mixed in with this approach.

20 to 40 feet of water, troll super slowly with a small hook & half a crawler piece or a small shiner.

I bet a slip bobber with a ice fishing jig & a fly a couple feet up from it could target them effectively in deep water too, especially if you are seeing them suspended.

Hope this gives you an idea!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:12 PM

Try dropping a minnow on a smaller hook right on the bottom. Leave for a few minutes then reel up and let it flutter back down. They will almost never touch it on the drop but will pick the minnow off the bottom after they watch it fall. Watched them on the camera many times and seems to work.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:19 PM

Default My go to for Gull.

Silver and green castmaster spoon.
Cast and jig back to the boat.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:29 PM

I think some lakes white fish can be caught and others they can. Good luck to you there is many lakes with white fish if you can figure out how to do it consistently you would have some amazing fishing in your future.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:44 PM

Try a black fly leech pattern with a small split shot right at the head of the fly.