Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2019, 12:25 PM

Default Combo Boat Travelling/Outside Winter Storage Tarps

I haven't had a tarp for years but tired of the poly tarp game so I don't know where the good choice of companies to start with for custom tarp . It will be on a 1988 16 FT. double counsel tournament series MISTY RIVER . Tarp needs to be top quality for travelling as well as storing outside for winter with probably a support pole although I do have one made from PVC 4 " pipe with cape on the end which served me fine . I could shorten it depending on new design or what is commercially available from the custom tarp company . Certainly don't want those skinny plastic support ones . Any recommendations would be appreciated . Thank You
Old 06-24-2019, 12:33 PM

You probably already know this, but if you are going to travel with the tarp on then you need one that is a real tight fit and snaps in place. No bungee or rope down tarp will fit tight enough to not cause paint wear from flapping in the wind. I have always removed my tarp for travel and just use it for storage.

I get you want one you can travel with so you will need to have snaps or a u groove rail installed, unless they are already there. With respect to where to get one made and installed, where are you located and how far are you prepared to travel.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:08 AM

Default Boat Tarp

Dean I live in Edmonton
Old 06-25-2019, 10:22 AM

See what you have for a canvas store in your area. I went to Canvas Mart in Calgary 2 years ago and they made me an awesome replacement tarp, It’s better than the factory one. Plus your boat is 1988 so I don’t see any point in rails or snaps.

Dodger.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:55 AM

https://www.boatcoversdirect.com

Was very happy with custom fit of the Carver series.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:13 AM

Go see Maz at Wayne's Upholstery. He is a master when it comes to boat tarps.
The custom cover that he made for me is held to the boat with a ratchet strap that goes around the entire boat, just under the gunwales. It stays on the boat with no problem travelling at 120 kph(behind my truck). He also sewed zippered cockpits into the cover, so it can even be left on while boating. The material he used was Dupont Top Gun, which handles the elements very well.