Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There are obviously a ton of people who think the Weber is just great or they wouldn't sell so many. I like my steaks blue rare to rare so I want one hot enough to sear the outside VERY well, even at -30, and leave the inside done the way I want it. For me it is easier to do that on the 4 burner Broil King than the 4 Burner Weber. The Broil King burners run perpendicular to the controls so it is also easy to heat on one side for slow indirect heat when doing chicken, roasts. ribs etc. Overall I find it suits my cooking style and needs better but others may well find the Weber a better fit for them. Having cooked on a number of Webers I am certain the one now at the lake cooks the same and is not defective in any way. In fact I cooked steaks for 30 last week, half on my BIL's Napolean and half on my MIL's Weber, both BBQs sitting side by side on her deck. The Napolean got way hotter than the Weber.

Each to their own, just passing one my experience for what it is worth, not dissing other people's choices.
Not saying your dissing anyone or anything just find it interesting that your Weber does not get hot enough. We do our steaks in a cast iron frying pan. Seared outside and rare inside and you can cut them with a butter knife. I have always prefered a charcoal grill or my Smokey mountian smoker on 90% of our outdoor cooking.

I do agree with you on the burner placement Weber uses, not sure what they were thinking. The NG grill is for quick meals like hot dogs, hamburgers or if we want to rotisserie something.

Like you said to each their own.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Finding a quality bbq is the problem.
Theres lots of good quality bbqs out there. I'd put the old Vermont in that category. Some Weber, some napoleons.. if you wanted to expand your horizons you could check out a bull bbq or saber. Their significantly higher price points then being considered here tho.

In regards to Vermont it seems Canadian tire bought the name and are now producing the new ones in China. Hard to call these new bbqs Vermont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
Not sure how everyone else's warranty is but I just put in a warranty claim on my 6-ish year old Napoleon about two burners that were worn out. I did not have proof of sale. They sent me four new burners free plus shipping ($15). I was impressed that they didn't even hassle me for proof of sale. Something to consider.
Napoleons customer service is great. Their warranty blows Weber out of the water. I've got a prestige 500 but rarely use it as I prefer the Louisiana grill.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
It is a long standing issue. I have used quite a few over the years and they were all the same. BBQing in the winter at my buddies place on a Broil King is what convinced me to buy my first Broil King 18 years ago and take the Weber to the lake. After living the difference I would never buy another Weber.
Which model of Weber is this? I cannot recall reading about any known/common issue of this kind on any of the BBQ and Weber forums I visit.

Between my parents, some friends and I, we have 3 NG and 1 propane of the Genesis model just before these latest Genesis 2 models. Others we know have an 80’s Genesis and current model Summits and Spirits.

All can consistently get and stay as hot as needed without issue, aside from days when wind is overly strong and may put out burners on any grill.

OP: If you plan to BBQ for many years to come, I would keep an open mind about spending between $500-$1000, depending on deals you may find, as a good quality BBQ can last decades and buying the right one the first time can save you in the long run. Read some dedicated BBQ forums on makes/models/ country of production and user experiences, those forums will answer all your questions.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
have to say I'm surprised that so many people are afraid to spend a few dollars more on a quality bbq.
I totally agree with you

I have gone through 3 or 4 bbq’s over the past 20 some odd years, but it wasn’t until a few years ago I got fed up with buying disposable bbq’s and decided to get a Weber. Not only does it cook more evenly and consistently, it’s still like brand new three years later, maybe just a little “seasoned”.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:58 PM

Default New BBQ

I have a Broil King in NG(Signet 30). Had it for over 10 years now and paid about 500 for it back then. It has 3 burner tubes, left at medium it gets over easily above 500f consistently. All I have replaced is the racks twice and the burner tubes for the first time this year. That’s it, not even the sparker has needed replacing. Parts are easy to get and not bad on the wallet. Usually you can get some good deals on them around the long weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2019, 09:13 PM

I was looking at the Broil King Baron 4 burner for 749. I'm going to see if it goes on sale the week/long weekend.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:38 PM

Broil Kings are excellent too. Should definitely be some Canada Day sales.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
It is a long standing issue. I have used quite a few over the years and they were all the same. BBQing in the winter at my buddies place on a Broil King is what convinced me to buy my first Broil King 18 years ago and take the Weber to the lake. After living the difference I would never buy another Weber.
My folks picked up a brand new Webber from a relative who decided to go with one of those 10' long monstrosity's, not impressed AT ALL.

It's hooked up to N/G so I'm not sure if it's the BBQ itself or the fuel source but it takes longer to heat up than a BBQ should then it has all kinds of flair up issues, you have to stand over it, you can't leave it not even for a minute.

And Pops says he can't use it in the winter because it won't get hot enough.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:52 PM

I know two people who have a Weber and used a Weber at two different condo units when staying down south. I bought a Broil King.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
My folks picked up a brand new Webber from a relative who decided to go with one of those 10' long monstrosity's, not impressed AT ALL.

It's hooked up to N/G so I'm not sure if it's the BBQ itself or the fuel source but it takes longer to heat up than a BBQ should then it has all kinds of flair up issues, you have to stand over it, you can't leave it not even for a minute.

I have three weber's on my deck. One I bought on sale in 1994 for 800.00 and have replaced the burners and grates once.

I have my Genesis 5000 with the smoker box and enclosed glass doors that I bought of a friend moving into an apartment for 400.00 in 2001 (no parts replaced other than igniter).

I also have a 6000 series 6 burner monstrosity that I can cook lots of burgers on at once when the whole family comes over. All three will bury the needle on the temperature dial in 10 minutes of heat up and will stay hot the whole time. Not sure how hot you need it but when it goes past 700 Deg F that should be enough to grill a steak. I have used the 6000 one at -30 C this last winter to cook steaks and had no problem at all.

I have seen a few bbq's that have been hooked up to an obviously undersized gas line that was meant for a small bbq. Had a friend who bought a new Vermont Casting BBQ and couldn't get it hot enough . He hooked it up to a 3/8 line that had run off of his furnace, run all the way across the basement and out onto the deck. Not sure of the idiot that put that line in but it would only hold 40,000 btu and his bbq was rated at 65,000 btu.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:36 AM

Default Napoleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Napoleon makes good barbeques , but they start at around $800. I purchased one several years ago from Costco, and it has been excellent.
Canadian made and excellent quality. I have had mine 5 years now the 500 with side burner and rotisserie. Use it all year long. They are not cheap but in the long run you won't be sorry. Excellent lid system as well.

I had a Centro before that and it completely fell apart in 6 years. Like completely.

Broil King is probably your best alternative for a slightly lower price. Watch Lowes and HH for sales.

The Napoleons at CT are specially made for them at a lower price point. Not as good as the real ones.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:30 AM

A few years ago I purchased a quality bbq. After having a few years it was well worth it. Parts are solid, comes apart easy for cleaning.
Burners are 5 times the weight of the cheaper Q’s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B840E242-CF9E-4985-AE8F-19073AB099E6.jpg (37.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 02515C46-265C-43D7-B2A8-35379889531E.jpg (25.5 KB, 90 views)
Old 06-24-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post

I’m assuming everyone with these issues has run through all the usual troubleshooting? Mine actually does do this once a year: right before it’s annual or semi annual deep clean.

1. Deep Clean: Plastic scraper on interior surfaces, wash and scrub all grates and flavourizer bars, nylon brush the burner tubes which usually reopens several of the holes that are closed with residue. It also removes the grease buildup which creates the most dangerous BBQ moments while preheating and flaring at stabilized temps.

2. Test gas connections throughout: Step 1 has always worked for me but if not (or if unit is moved between properties or blown over by wind etc.) I would use soapy water to test all gas connections from the coupling to the burner tubes. If bubbling is happening, replace the part. Potentially scary problem.

3. Gas line capacity or other installation issue: If Step 1 and 2 don’t work, a closer look at the gas line (by a professional) is in order. Fixes here may not be cheap but at least you may have your answer.

4. Lemon: If all steps 1-3 don’t provide any answers, you may regrettably have a true lemon of some kind, but not a common design flaw. Of all the design flaws BBQs do have, delivery of fuel is generally not one of them.

Sorry for the hijack OP. It looks like Kijiji has some new additions in the lead up to the long weekend. If it were me I’d look there or for store sales for a prior gen Genesis or Napoleon Prestige or the Broil King equivalent (not as familiar with them). Stay away from the models made in China where some brands have sold their name out to offer an inferior version grill. Spend the $500.00 -$1,000.00+ once and enjoy a quality grill for many years to come. Stainless steel is pretty but matte finishes are less cosmetic maintenance. Consider grate options if you buy new. Send us a pic of your first cook and enjoy your new toy!

Cheers
Old 06-25-2019, 09:42 AM

I have had a NG Weber Genesis for the past 8 years. Works great in any weather. Inadequate gas line sizing is the most likely contributor to the problems some are having. Mine has worked flawlessly in the time I've had it. I have a smaller Jackson Grills one as well that is good quality.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:14 AM

Again with the Napoleon warranty but I'm super impressed. My replacement burners just arrived.

I expected four burner tubes in a box, nope! Four retail-boxed replacement kits with burners AND sear plates. Giving Napoleon some well-deserved free publicity here
Old 06-25-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
I have had a NG Weber Genesis for the past 8 years. Works great in any weather. Inadequate gas line sizing is the most likely contributor to the problems some are having. Mine has worked flawlessly in the time I've had it. I have a smaller Jackson Grills one as well that is good quality.
Nope. Same gas line runs my Broil King just fine and it ran the Weber that is now at the lake. The BK gets far hotter on the same gas line. Per my post above, last week same gas line running the Weber and the Napoleon and the Napoleon got way hotter and stayed hot when you opened the lid. If Weber gets hot enough for you, no problem, use the Weber but quit telling the rest of us we don't know what we are doing.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:48 PM

"Nope. Same gas line runs my Broil King just fine and it ran the Weber that is now at the lake. The BK gets far hotter on the same gas line. Per my post above, last week same gas line running the Weber and the Napoleon and the Napoleon got way hotter and stayed hot when you opened the lid. If Weber gets hot enough for you, no problem, use the Weber but quit telling the rest of us we don't know what we are doing."

You seem to be coming up with your own interpretation of what I actually said. I said "most" and "some" not all. Could easily be a regulator or other issue. Lighten up partner. I have a gas ticket as well.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
You seem to be coming up with your own interpretation of what I actually said. I said "most" not all. Could easily be a regulator or other issue. Lighten up partner.
Sorry, its just you were about the 5th guy to repeat the "Too small a gas line or defective Weber" bit and it had worn more than thin by then. Sorry I snapped back at you but seems that AO has become a place where any differing opinion than the prevailing sentiment must be in error, wrong or whatever. Doesn't seem to be a lot of respect for other peoples experiences and perspective, no matter how well explained or documented. Its all good, it is after all only a BQ. I think I will go for a walk and enjoy the nice day. You have a good one too.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:59 PM

an interesting question. I too was looking for it
Old 06-25-2019, 01:51 PM

Most probably don’t know how to adjust/check the burner for a hot flame.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Sorry, its just you were about the 5th guy to repeat the "Too small a gas line or defective Weber" bit and it had worn more than thin by then. Sorry I snapped back at you but seems that AO has become a place where any differing opinion than the prevailing sentiment must be in error, wrong or whatever. Doesn't seem to be a lot of respect for other peoples experiences and perspective, no matter how well explained or documented. Its all good, it is after all only a BQ. I think I will go for a walk and enjoy the nice day. You have a good one too.
No worries, Ha! I hear what you're saying. Big thing with barbeques, especially in the internet age is to check reviews. Understand BTU's and realize that high BTUs aren't the end all. Even heating so you're not always moving things around to the sweet spot so to speak. Durability, etc. Broil Kings always rate highly as do Webers and Napoleans. A buddy of mine has one of the original Weber Genesis ones still going strong after 20 years. I can't speak to the newer ones as mine is 8 years old.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten, View Post
Most probably don’t know how to adjust/check the burner for a hot flame.
I would add most people dont understand what a true quality bbq is. I'd never put a broil king in that category but it seems to work good for many posters here which is great.

You've got a nice bbq. Bull isnt a common brand many see or know much about. I'd put them up against any of the best bbqs one can get.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:13 PM

Any update on your BBQ search OP?
Old 06-30-2019, 07:57 AM

Haven't bought one yet. Lots of great reviews here and have looked at several stores this weekend. Not much for sales on the higher end bbqs. I've narrowed it down to 3 brands. Weber, Napolean and Broil King.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:05 AM

Anyone have the Napoleon Rogue 425?
Old 06-30-2019, 10:52 AM

I bought a Weber Genesis 2 3 burner in the highest trim level 2 years ago. I mostly bought it because it was the highest rated grill from consumer reports. They do extensive testing on grills regarding heat distribution and hot spots.

If I could do it over again I’d just buy a higher end Broil king. I use my grill 80-90 times a year and I don’t think the Chinese made Weber’s are worth the increased price over the broil kings. I had a broil king for 10 years before this Weber and loved it.

This Weber has even heat but doesn’t get hot enough, but that’s likely because it’s a natural gas model instead of propane. Natural gas is great for convenience but not so much for pure heat on the grill. If I’m cooking up nice steaks I always opt for the charcoal grill to get a decent sear.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:18 PM
Banned

I have the Napoleon prestige pro 825 in the yard now, its only 3 years old but the Napoleon it replaced is 12 years old and sits at the lake. Both were on ng but the lake one was put back on propane. No parts in either so far, had tp clean out the burner tube holes a few times on the old one. The 825 is incredible, the searing station is as big as most bbq’s
Old 06-30-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuard84 View Post
I’m assuming everyone with these issues has run through all the usual troubleshooting? Mine actually does do this once a year: right before it’s annual or semi annual deep clean.
Pops is a little OCD when it comes to keeping his clean, that thing is spotless, he drains the grease trap and even scrubs the grill after every use, I told him he's scraping the flavour away

He is a Millwright so pretty sure it all on the up install wise and yet he says it won't hit *300 in the winter, he thinks is because of switching from propane to NG but I'm guessing something is wrong with the BBQ itself.

I find Webbers are the Yeti of the BBQ world, you can get an equally good product for substantially less money but you won't be able to tell people you have a Webber (or Yeti)

I had a Webber many years ago and loved it, and I didn't need to break the bank to buy it. I have no problem shelling out for a good product but for me, Webber is just not it, not anymore anyways. JMHO

I'm using a Napoleon now and i don't love or hate it, it does the trick and was about $300 cheaper than a comparable Webber model but still costs WAY more than a BBQ should cost.

All BBQ's cost too much these days, have a close look at them, there's nothing to them.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:28 PM

Update...Well, I bought a Weber Genesis 2 today. Very happy and I cooked a few tenderloin steaks shortly after it was assembled. I couldn't pass up the 10 yr warranty on all parts. Thanks for all the feedback, boys. Happy summer.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:41 PM

Broil king natural gas bbq regular $642 for $404 inc tax at Camrose Rona. Wife will probably kill me as I just picked up a Pit Boss 700 for $499 at grocery people 2 weeks ago. 2 Solid BBQs for under $1000 with different purposes should be a good summer. Hopefully my antlerless elk says awarded come draw result day lol.