Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2019, 01:08 PM

Default Thoughts on wether this is repairable or should I just get a new piece?

Hey guys,

Heard I had an exhaust leak somewhere and found this when I looked underneath:

Any thoughts on if I can repair it? I haven’t checked the prices yet, but it definitely doesn’t look like a cheap piece of pipe and muffler.

This is on a 2008 4Runner, fyi.

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:12 PM

I had this happen a few years back. Took it into a muffler shop asked for a quick fix. 45 minutes later I was on my way it was under 200.00. They replaced the muffler. It was on Stony Plain road and about 160 street. I had that truck for 3 more years. Wasn’t a problem.

BW
Old 06-20-2019, 01:16 PM

I would take it in to a good custom muffler place and have them look at it. From the look of it in the picture you may not be able to weld that so it will hold properly. If not buy a new aftermarket. Check out PartsKing on 156 St they will be about 25-50% of what Toyota wants on most parts. Did the tail pipe on the wife's 92 Forerunner, so I know how bad Toyota wants to rip you for those kinds of parts. Even at PartsKing they aren't cheap depending on whether you can get away with just the muffler, much cheaper, or if you need a converter too. I also order a lot from Rock Auto and always check their prices including shipping, sometimes PartsKing is as good other times Rock is WAY cheaper..

Last edited by Dean2; 06-20-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:21 PM

Done, you need a new muffler and tail pipe. You can't weld rust. It's not overly expensive to replace stock exhaust as a rule.( excluding cat)
Old 06-20-2019, 01:37 PM

As some have said, that exhaust is toast... Replace it.

It's an easy "driveway swap"... DIY !

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 06-20-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:44 PM

Or if you're cheap:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...3801p.html#spc
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/v...3758p.html#spc
Old 06-20-2019, 01:50 PM

dont do the puddy / muffler tape fix. doesnt hold for any length of time. Best bet is to either replace the muffler with a used one, or buy a aftermarket one. should be fairly cheap to get a universal one in there.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:55 PM

Pull out that muffler and clamp in a piece of pipe.
All that back pressure is just holding you back.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post

For what a new muffler would cost just get a new one, you might even pick up a little power and torque if you get a decent one. That would be a good time to put a free flowing air intake on it if you go the performance route and pick up some noticeable power.

Toyota's can allways use more power
Old 06-21-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Also based on the photo the converter is behind that broken pipe. If you don't have a converter your vehicle isn't considered legal.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:20 AM

Had the same thing happen to my plow truck 2 years ago. Proper and only way to fix it is replace them muffler. Take it to any muffler shop and they should set you up. I was traveling on a hunting trip so I went to a shop I knew of and they had me done in less than 90 min and cost about 200$
Old 06-21-2019, 09:35 AM

It's fixable. Unless you or a buddy can do it yourself, not worth it. I started my career doing exhaust work. Welding, repairs, custom tube bending. Find out how much replacing it might cost, then evaluate. Chances are that other areas will start falling apart anyways even if that area is fixed...
Old 06-21-2019, 09:47 AM

I'm cheap and would get out the wire wheel and welder and try to weld it up because i have that gear lol.

Stop by a muffler shop and ask them to weld it back on and while your there, get a quote. It may be too crusty and thin for a welder to even work.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. Greatly appreciated.

To make it clear, there is nothing past the muffler aside from the tail pipe With a resonator (unless it is another muffler, but looks like a resonator to me). Here is a diagram:

So it broke off right at the muffler (number 11 in the pic above). Here are a few pics I took yesterday that perhaps will better show what happened.

The tail pipe appears to be stainless steel (one would think they would make the whole thing this way). Not sure what the rest of it is. It looks sturdy aside from the spot where it broke. I am no welder and can’t really say if it can be worked with or not.

The problem with replacement, as it appears to me, is this:

That’s where the tail pipe connects to the muffler. In pretty rough shape. And it appears that I would have to replace the tail piece as well because of it. The logic dictates (I didn’t have a chance to go in deeper and take a look) that the other side of the muffler, where it connects to the converter is in the same rough shape, which implies the need for that piece as well. That quickly adds up to quite a penny.

If it is not fixable and I have to replace the whole system, I would very much rather just leave it as is and drive it this way. The sound is hardly noticeable, really, and is not that much louder than normal. My concern though is the heat. It is definitely still pretty warm there since I also found this right above where the muffler exit pipe used to be:

I should probably find out where these wires are going as well, lol.

Any more thoughts would be appreciated as well.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:33 PM

A good shop will be able to splice a piece of pipe in behind the joint to the Cat and before the new muffler, if they can't get the joint apart, so you don't have to replace the Catalytic converter too. That way all you have to do is the muffler and tailpipe. Depending on how good the tail pipe is they could do the same after the muffler so you don't need a new tail pipe and resonator. Only issue is time is money, you may end up spending almost as much as just putting in a whole new system, especially if you get the parts shipped up from Rock Auto. Whole setup from the Manifold back, including a new Cat, is only about 450 Canadian delivered. It doesn't take long to burn $450 in shop time.

There is a real good reason the exhaust doesn't dump out under the vehicle, in addition to heat carbon monoxide really isn't all that good for you.

Last edited by Dean2; 06-21-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:31 PM

Thanks for the reply, Dean! Always appreciate your posts.

I will have to be travelling with this vehicle to Calgary on Friday, so I did a quick fix for now and it seems to work and will probably last the trip. Regardless of what I order and where, it will not get here before Friday/I won’t Have the time to install it.

I was not able to get that adapter more than about 1/2 inch into the muffler. Otherwise, I would leave it there until the other side breaks of, to be honest.

Will probably be ordering a new muffler and tail piece when I come back (two weeks from now). Not sure about the $450 delivered you mentioned though. I am pretty sure there are two catalytic converters and each comes as a one piece together with the manifold for the appropriate side. Pretty sure it is more than $450 delivered.

Thanks for mentioning the carbon monoxide.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:57 AM

Glad you found a fix, even if it is just temporary. didn't realize the newer ones had two Cats, my 92 V6 only has one Cat and one Muffler. With two Cats it would be more than 450, a second Cat would add another $250 Canadian. With that for an increased cost it well might pay to have a good shop just stub in a new muffler and tail pipe, even if they have to spice in a piece of pipe so you don't have to replace the Cats.. Let us know how you make out in the end.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:38 AM

Talking

What is cost to a nice exhaust
All ceramic coated....

Old 06-24-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
What is cost to a nice exhaust
All ceramic coated....

That system likely won't like speed bumps, or country roads.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour86 View Post
dont do the puddy / muffler tape fix. doesnt hold for any length of time. Best bet is to either replace the muffler with a used one, or buy a aftermarket one. should be fairly cheap to get a universal one in there.
Do you mean this Puddy?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Puddy.jpg (42.2 KB, 17 views)