Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-30-2019, 09:01 AM

Default 23 new trappers

Course in Black Diamond went good. We host the course here at that time the last 6 years so kids taking it don’t have to take time off school. The southern Alberta local paid for five youth to take the course this time an in previous years it’s close to 40 now. The kids were from a youth group I do stuff with an they are already bugging me to get out with them. Mabe I could get them to help me clean up an orginize my disaster that last trapping season has left me.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
Course in Black Diamond went good. We host the course here at that time the last 6 years so kids taking it don’t have to take time off school. The southern Alberta local paid for five youth to take the course this time an in previous years it’s close to 40 now. The kids were from a youth group I do stuff with an they are already bugging me to get out with them. Mabe I could get them to help me clean up an orginize my disaster that last trapping season has left me.
Good on you and the local. Maybe you can teach the kids trap identification and trap maintenance while sorting your equipment. 😉
Old 05-01-2019, 02:11 PM

My wife and I attended the course, very interesting stuff. Duncan and Hunter are both terrific instructors. Thanks again for hosting. Now it's time to count down the days until we can get out with my old man.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:41 PM

Shout out to Duncan. He was my instructor. Best 3 day class I've ever taken. All thanks to him. I'm sure he's changed many lives for the better. Cheers! ..

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2019, 03:16 AM
Banned

Good on you for sponsoring 5 kids from your youth group. At least you are trying within the perimeters of the current Trapper training business.

It’s unfortunate that your local got stuck with paying an extra +$200 per student in profit for the ATA that could have gone towards sponsoring other kids to attend the course. Maybe, if you could find a member of your local who was genuinely concerned about preserving/promoting trapping in Alberta and got qualified, he could conduct the course at a more reasonable rate than $1300 for three days. That would reduce the actual cost to conduct the course even more and you could sponsor even more kids.

That’s where I think that Ontario has their act together. There are instructors throughout the province and they have the latitude to charge what they want......no kickbacks to their association. If a Father and Son want to attend a course the instructor can charge the Dad and allow the Son to attend free. He can even make a deal and charge less than the going rate if he wants to. I’d like to see that happen in AB but it’d be one hell of a fight to get the ATA to give up their golden goose. They don’t seem to have any interest in qualifying enough instructors for that to ever happen so for now it’s just a dream.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:29 PM

If your so concerned why don’t you.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:29 PM
AO Sponsor

Way to go Rod, congrats! Especially on helping some young people get their start. Our industry needs fur to market, can't get it if our ranks keep shrinking. Currently the only two elements that seem to be expanding are coyote trappers and Chinese furriers.... it's a real cause for concern, long term, that being the lack of everything else with those being in a negative growth cycle.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:21 AM

The south country local has a raffle every year of some sort that raises money to support youth education. Marty I know you support the fund buying tickets an have even taken the prize home I drew your name. This year the local has another gun a Tika t3 in 243 cal with a 3x9 scope.