Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2016, 10:36 AM

Default Pigeon Lake Walleye and Marcum Tips on Species Differentiation

A Marcum Flasher is an amazing tool on the ice and the more you know about it the more you'll understand how it can benefit you. Here is how I use my Marcum flasher to differentiate not only where the fish are, but what type of fish are passing by my lure. If you have trouble using your flasher, don't see the benefit or just want some more information on how to use it more effectively check out this video. Hold tight till the end there are a few walleye hooked up as well. Thanks for watching as always and don't forget to subscribe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IStg98HSzS4

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-05-2016, 04:10 PM

Good video. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:44 PM

Hey Brandon great video!

I have a few questions that I am having issues solving that I am hoping you can help me with. I just picked up the Marcum Lx5i this season and have had success on it however I am not using it too its potential.

1) How far do you put the transducer down your hole? My manual indicated it should only be 1-2 inches down however this way you will read and see a lot of ice at the top

2) What is the typical range setting that should be used? I was on slave few weeks back and had to use it between 5-6 just to see my hook coming up and down.

3) What is the minimum depth that you think that these flashers should be used at? Is it pointless for 5-6'? I was using mine at 12-15 FOW

It would be greatly appreciated to hear your feedback on this.

Thanks

SteveY
Old 02-05-2016, 06:17 PM

1) How far do you put the transducer down your hole? My manual indicated it should only be 1-2 inches down however this way you will read and see a lot of ice at the top

You may have misread your manual, the transducer is supposed to be near the bottom of the hole, like 1 to 2 inches from the bottom would be optimal and I'm guessing that's how the manual should read.

2) What is the typical range setting that should be used? I was on slave few weeks back and had to use it between 5-6 just to see my hook coming up and down.

Do you mean gain? I don't have that model but usually you should increase the gain till you can just see your hook as a solid line. The actual number is not important, what you see is more important on the screen.

3) What is the minimum depth that you think that these flashers should be used at? Is it pointless for 5-6'? I was using mine at 12-15 FOW

I've used mine in 4 feet of water under the ice. You basically see the fish right before it hits. Gives you a second or two to get ready. I still think it is worth it. Usually more that 7 or 8 feet works pretty well.

Hope that answers your questions.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures

Tags
flasher sonar, marcum, pigeon lake, walleye