Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 02:54 PM

Default Snowden was just a byte

As the US released info on the Russian hacks this week, the indictment issued, reveals a lot of detail about what they can do in a forensic investigation on the internet. One of those things that gets into a lot of detail of who was involved, who they contacted and when, who they got info from, how they set it up, where they got the money, how they paid for it. As is noted in here, the GRU must be wondering about a few things. Apparently what Snowden has revealed is nothing in comparison to this.
The discussion starts at about 1:26:20 in this show;

https://twit.tv/shows/security-now/e...utostart=false
Old 07-19-2018, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
As the US released info on the Russian hacks this week, the indictment issued, reveals a lot of detail about what they can do in a forensic investigation on the internet. One of those things that gets into a lot of detail of who was involved, who they contacted and when, who they got info from, how they set it up, where they got the money, how they paid for it. As is noted in here, the GRU must be wondering about a few things. Apparently what Snowden has revealed is nothing in comparison to this.
The discussion starts at about 1:26:20 in this show;

https://twit.tv/shows/security-now/e...utostart=false
100% guess here but given the level of detail and chronology I would they got access to whatever IRA / Fancy Bear was using for chat between team members. Something similar to skype or slack, maybe vanilla IRC. For most companies having that compromised would be a complete disaster, I doubt the IRA is any better than average given the size of the effort. You’ve got to imagine that was high on NSA TAO group’s todo list.

The supposition about taping trunks and recording that into the Utah server farm is interesting but the implications are scary. If they are able to do mass decrypts that fast then SSL/TLS or maybe AES-256 is waaaaay weaker than we realize.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
100% guess here but given the level of detail and chronology I would they got access to whatever IRA / Fancy Bear was using for chat between team members. Something similar to skype or slack, maybe vanilla IRC. For most companies having that compromised would be a complete disaster, I doubt the IRA is any better than average given the size of the effort. You’ve got to imagine that was high on NSA TAO group’s todo list.

The supposition about taping trunks and recording that into the Utah server farm is interesting but the implications are scary. If they are able to do mass decrypts that fast then SSL/TLS or maybe AES-256 is waaaaay weaker than we realize.
I must have been under that rock for way to long..I have no idea what any of this means, but that's okay, I'll do some research and see if I get any smarter!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip