Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2018, 10:35 PM

Default Firearm storage - safe or cabinet?

Had to leave my old stack-on cabinet behind after our move as it was mounted to the wall, and honestly it was starting to get a little small. Looking at the usual places CT, Bass Pro, Cabelas and I'm un-decided.

Is it worth ponying up for more of a "safe" than cabinet for the fire protection/extra security?

Any other suggestions on where to find either in Calgary area?
Old 07-15-2018, 11:01 PM

Depends on What’s it worth to you ?? Cabinet with lock it’s good enough to keep the kids out , but might have to invest in a heavy duty safe for added theft deterrents.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:14 PM

There are probably a few gun safes for sale in the buy and sell section.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-16-2018, 12:53 AM

Youtube videos of gun safes and you will find lots of people busting into them.

The cabinets you can break into with a crowbar and the average safe you can get into with grinder - both pretty quickly.

I just have a cabinet myself, but would get a safe if I had the cash as I guess that it is likely that someone looking for a quick grab for drug money is likely not going to screw around with power tools or even be aware of how quickly most safes can be broken into and the cabinets are just begging for a crowbar.

Matt
Old 07-16-2018, 02:07 AM

The stack on cabinets are easily opened with a crowbar or a hole saw.

98% of the gun safes (even expensive ones) you see in big box stores have really thin side panels. Thieves will use a grinder to cut a slot then peel up the sheet metal like a sardine can to get access. Even that "6 inch thick door" might only have thin metal on it.

This video is quite informative. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8
Old 07-16-2018, 07:31 AM

A safe is better security, storing firearms partly dismantled is even better I remove any part that would make a firearm useless and store them separately.
Bolts, slides, cylinders etc.
Imagine the look on the thief's face after he breaks into a safe and finds there's nothing worth stealing.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:49 AM

All depends on if you have a want to protect and secure your firearms or do you just want to meet minimum legal requirements ?

Last edited by 1899b; 07-16-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:16 AM

Another thing you might want to look at is what your home insurance will cover. A friend of mine’s gun collection out grew his safe. He had tossed around the cabinet idea until he talked to his insurance company who told him a cabinet provides less protection than a fire / security rated safe and that they would not cover any loss as a result of fire or theft even though it meet the minimum storage laws.

Long story short he just built a gun room with cinder blocks and steel plating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2018, 10:53 AM

Forgive me, I can get a bit repetitive, do you mean an actual safe or a Residential Security Cabinet (RSC), such as sold a Canadian Tire, Costco, Bass Pro, etc.? Of the two, I'd get a cheap Stack-On as I don't feel there is much value added for the RSC given the price of the two. However, that being said, neither would be my preferred option. Safes routinely come up for sale on Kijiji as someone died and the family doesn't want to be bothered, a tenant left a building and didn't want to move it and the owner just wants it gone, people downside and can't get it to their second storey condo, etc. A prime example is shown below:

Would hold multiple guns, looks solid, is fire rated, etc. No affiliation by the way, but would likely be multiple times more secure than a RSC. If you really want to double down, bank vaults are listed from time to time.

Really boils down to the value of the contents and what your end goal is, fire, theft, keep out of the kids hands, etc.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:54 PM

Default good deal if you can moved

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-business-ind...afe/1349737160

Old 07-16-2018, 10:21 PM

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions all. I'm going to keep my eye on Kijiji as well and see what comes up. I think I'm leaning more towards the safe (or residential version) if I can find one for a reasonable price. Seem like offers just a bit more protection.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:05 PM

Department store safes are only effective when bolted to the floor and in a confined space where access to the sides and back is limited. Out in the open they offer only slightly more protection than a cabinet at 3X the $$$. They do offer more of a visual deterrent - basically bluffing a bad guy into not even trying. I say if you have to put it out in the open, save your money and go with a cabinet. Also check out "lock and safe" stores. Those guys typically know their stuff, and their product inside and out, and can explain security features a lot better than the 14 year old at Canadian Tire. They also usually sell better safes all around.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:40 PM

For NR I use a stack on cabinets. I have a horrible system, habit of leaving mags in hunting bags or in the truck and forgetting about them. I Often change my mind on which gun to take based on what mag I can find...

My thoughts on FR safes out here. If we aren't home thieves would have all the time they need to get into a safe and all the tools needed if they looked in the shop. I don't have any guns that couldn't be replaced (heirlooms/valuable antiques ect.) I don't honestly think I would want a gun back after its been in a safe through a whole house fire.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:26 PM

I troll the bargain cave in Cabelas for deals on safes, I got my last one for $250 off as the chrome bezel around the lock was broken. I was in there on the past weekend and the have 2 liberty 36 gun safes for $629.00 because the paint was peeling, thats a pretty good deal
Old 07-18-2018, 04:03 PM

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hu...-1755911p.html

On sale for $325.00 starting tomorrow
Old 07-18-2018, 05:32 PM

buckbrush makes some really good points and echos to a tee my reasons for going stack-on for years.

That said, I recently upgraded to a digital safe from a Costco deal at 50% off (under $400 I think it was) and I'm very happy with it. I see similar types on sale semi-regularly for $400-650. Honestly, if we're talking the price of a couple speeding tickets, a so-so scope, or several boxes of ammo; for something that is going to last you the next 20 years to a lifetime, its well worth it IMO.

Speaking of which; you do plan to be in your current home long term, correct? (I assume you do, if you're asking the question, but..)
Because more than the cost of these things, it's transporting and then securing them that's the real issue. You do not want to move a 300lbs safe from store to home, up or down stairs, and then go through the hassle of anchoring to walls and floor, if you think you might be moving out of there in a couple years. You're not going to want to take it with you.

The added security and fire ratings are nice, I guess, but were not a chief reason for my upgrade, personally. It's probably the difference between 5 minutes vs. 90 minutes in each case, so not something to get overly excited about.

Nerd alert here but the biggest factors for me were the size and interior. I'm a sucker for organization. The padding (even though I had lined the stack-ons with felt, it wasn't the same) plus the extra space, door pockets, and large adjustable shelves, are all very handy.

Last edited by Mr. Bigglesworth; 07-18-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:07 PM
Banned

I dont use either kind
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5ADAA161-0DCC-4D75-9009-C87780A02F02.jpg (35.8 KB, 109 views)
Old 07-19-2018, 06:07 PM

costco has a decent safe, A little small depending on your collection. I have 5 comfortably inside
Old 07-19-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I troll the bargain cave in Cabelas for deals on safes, I got my last one for $250 off as the chrome bezel around the lock was broken. I was in there on the past weekend and the have 2 liberty 36 gun safes for $629.00 because the paint was peeling, thats a pretty good deal

I'm in the market for a safe too.
If you don't mind saying, which Cabela's was that?
Old 07-19-2018, 08:29 PM

Just go for anything that complies with the regulation.

Unless you want to store a 350$ rifle on 2000$ safe which I did, but I bought the safe on an auction for 200$

"Anything that is made by man can be destroyed by man"
Old 07-20-2018, 09:02 AM

Solving the worlds problems one thread at a time (not me, the forum):

Cheaper than a Stack-On: Check;
Fire resistant: Check;
Secure: Check.

Really, there are no drawbacks....

Kijiji
Old 07-22-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Solving the worlds problems one thread at a time (not me, the forum):

Cheaper than a Stack-On: Check;
Fire resistant: Check;
Secure: Check.

Really, there are no drawbacks....

Kijiji
Might be a touch heavy

Honestly weight is definitely a consideration for me as others have mentioned.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:42 PM

Costco.ca

Lots of options and you can get them delivered to your door for no extra cost.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerfarmer View Post
Might be a touch heavy

Honestly weight is definitely a consideration for me as others have mentioned.
Well, maybe one little drawback.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
I dont use either kind
Did you buy or build that? Might be what I need for my gun room.

I bought a 3000lb bank vault that will hold most of my valuables and few rifles. I can get it into the garage with a tractor and forks but I'm not sure how to get it into the house from there. I may have to increase the heat and lower the humidity in the garage and leave the safe there.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-23-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas12 View Post
I'm in the market for a safe too.
If you don't mind saying, which Cabela's was that?
Calgary, they had 2 last time I was in there kicking myself for buying the 14 gun safe
Old 07-23-2018, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Did you buy or build that? Might be what I need for my gun room.

I bought a 3000lb bank vault that will hold most of my valuables and few rifles. I can get it into the garage with a tractor and forks but I'm not sure how to get it into the house from there. I may have to increase the heat and lower the humidity in the garage and leave the safe there.
Yes i did build it. Locks up everything tight, lag bolted to the wall and concrete anchors. Of course I shoulda made it longer lol
Old 07-23-2018, 06:52 PM

Check with a safe company
A lot of times they have used ones from banks etc
I bought one from Calgary Lock and Safe 25,years ago
Was from a bank 3500 lbs
Fire rating Class B 2 hour rating
Paid $1500.00
Old 07-23-2018, 07:25 PM

Costco usually brings there safes back in the fall should be showing up any time.
399 I believe.