Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-18-2014, 09:58 PM

Talking Fished Pine Coulee Reservoir today. Caught my first Walleye ever.

Put together a little video of the day. (I cut some of the audio to remove windy and stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0sGtNYFXU8

Ended up catching 4 walleye throughout the morning. All on white grubs. All released of course. The water was pretty dirty, but there were people catching walleye all over the place. Loved it, can't wait to go back. Wish I had a boat.

My friend with me caught 0
Old 05-18-2014, 10:22 PM

Great picture
Old 05-18-2014, 11:48 PM

Ty!

I was quite surprised how easy they seemed to be caught, and a zero limit..? They were small for sure, nothing over 30cm I'd guess. Was going for Pike (as you can keep them). Watched a family on an anchored boat pull out walleye after walleye jigging. They also yelled and screamed at each other a lot. Maybe that's the secret?
Old 05-18-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackmacs View Post
Ty!

I was quite surprised how easy they seemed to be caught, and a zero limit..? They were small for sure, nothing over 30cm I'd guess. Was going for Pike (as you can keep them). Watched a family on an anchored boat pull out walleye after walleye jigging. They also yelled and screamed at each other a lot. Maybe that's the secret?
ive had 50+ fish days out there. its really not that hard once you find them. this was in a boat though.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:36 AM

Thumbs up

If you want to help your buddy to avoid the skunk, set him up with a small jig & a small chunk of salted smelt or minnow under a slip bobber. In that area, the bottom is really rocky & snaggy; the slip bobber will keep the jig off the bottom 7 in front of all those hungry little walleye.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:03 AM

Many 100+ walleye days out there in the boat! Super fun fishing!

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 05-19-2014, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapshooter View Post
Many 100+ walleye days out there in the boat! Super fun fishing!
between 4 ppl we caught close to 100 in like 4 hrs haha. However that was ice fishing...

had some beautiful evenings and nights out there

was gonna try to keep track but ive caught to many!!!
Old 05-19-2014, 05:29 AM

I find a darker jig works better. My super secret (well, not anymore i guess) rig is a black 1/4 oz matzuo jig head with a 3" gulp! alive! shiner. This way you don't have to rebait every 30 seconds when you catch one cast it 10 feet in front of the dock and slooooooowly reel it along the bottom.

I'll be there tomorrow!

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-19-2014, 09:44 AM

Looks tasty. Congrats on the 'eye.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:07 AM

Cool photo! Stand up jigs are a go-to!
Old 05-19-2014, 11:42 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
I find a darker jig works better. My super secret (well, not anymore i guess) rig is a black 1/4 oz matzuo jig head with a 3" gulp! alive! shiner. This way you don't have to rebait every 30 seconds when you catch one cast it 10 feet in front of the dock and slooooooowly reel it along the bottom.

I'll be there tomorrow!
Take your fly rod & some streamers. Put on your chest waders & get away from the dock. If the 'eyes don't want to chase a streamer, put a little marabou jig under an indicator; this works especially well if there's a little chop on the water to give the jig a little motion.
Those li'l walleye love it!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 PM

From the bridge, how do you get to the campsites at PCR? I'm thinking of camping there with my girlfriend this weekend.

Fished PCR last night, caught the biggest walleye I've seen in there, though I'm sure there are some in the high 20s and low 30s. Picture doesn't do justice, it was 22.5 inches and quite fat. Nothing overly special, but a nice fish when compared to the dozens upon dozens of 13 inchers.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
From the bridge, how do you get to the campsites at PCR? I'm thinking of camping there with my girlfriend this weekend.

turn left (south) after you cross the bridge. The road parallels the lake for a ways, and then just before it jogs right there's a turnoff to the campsite.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-23-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post

Fished PCR last night, caught the biggest walleye I've seen in there, though I'm sure there are some in the high 20s and low 30s. Picture doesn't do justice, it was 22.5 inches and quite fat. Nothing overly special, but a nice fish when compared to the dozens upon dozens of 13 inchers.

They should be big anyway because its c n' r, they've got lots of time to grow big.....
Old 07-23-2014, 04:10 PM

Crackmacs; s

o you get out one time from the dock n catch a walleye or two. So far so good, that's what PCR is all about to me. B

But then you want to kill a few, just wondering if we need to connect the dots; catch walleye, dock to fish off of, 1.4 MM folks with in say 2 hours, no kill. Maybe they all align up??
Old 07-24-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackmacs View Post
Ty!

You just answered your own question.... they are hungry and easily caught. The lake would be cleaned out in no time at all. Just ask all the guys that go out there and kept there limits of burbot, how the fishing was for them this passed winter there. They just cant seem to figure out why it was so terrible.

Tags
coulee, fishing, pine, reservoir, walleye