Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
For myself, I don't believe in using mechanical safeties. My firearm is active when I am shooting, and muzzle control is my safety. Anyone that comes over to my place to shoot is told upfront that using a safety will not be tolerated at my place, muzzle control is your safety, and if that does not work for you don't bring out your firearms. I have seen guys flicking their safety on and off while standing around talking. I have seen a hammer slip off the thumb, muzzle control sent the bullet downrange to the target. I felt bad for the lady that shot her son through the horse trailer, but in actuality it was poor muzzle control on her behalf that killed her son. Their is a false sense of security with these mechanical safeties, and it seems Remington dropped the ball on this one, even if it is still lack of muzzle control for the accidents. I wonder how many folks actually shoulder their rifle to undo the safety? From some of the articles I have read, it sounds like a lot of folks' guns were fired from the hip, which I would not want to do if I was shooting a magnum pointed at the ground in front of me, I would probably fill my pants.

Sure glad I live nowhere near you.....
An accident looking for a place to happen.
Keepin ones booger picker off the trigger is a whole lot safer than what your saying along with the safety engaged, not to mention knowing whats in the chamber...
It doesnt take long to find those threads as catnthehat has provided links too.
Thanks cat.
Best Regards,
Rob
Old 12-08-2016, 11:24 AM

I'm guessing what's he's saying is only time a round is in the chamber, when its pointed downrange, ready and about to pull the trigger. Don't need a safety on at that point. Otherwise no round in the chamber, so no need to have the safety on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Keepin ones booger picker off the trigger is a whole lot safer than what your saying along with the safety engaged, not to mention knowing whats in the chamber...
Thanks cat.
Best Regards,
Rob
Old 12-08-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Time Rut Outdoors View Post
I'm guessing what's he's saying is only time a round is in the chamber, when its pointed downrange, ready and about to pull the trigger. Don't need a safety on at that point. Otherwise no round in the chamber, so no need to have the safety on.
Another post I wrote without all the info. I believe in the action open or empty chamber. Muzzle control is of utmost importance at all times, I don't trust mechanics, especially if it is someone's else's equipment. I had someone show me a firearm one day that could fire without the bolt closed all the way (it was unloaded at the time). So when it comes to trusting a safety, I believe to many folks are a little to secure in those things. I believe each person has the right to use their safety as they see fit, just not on my property. I have one firearm that has no safety built into it, no half cock, and I don't feel that it is a dangerous firearm. I also have an old winchester that I have been told has been known to fire when the safety was flipped off, I have never tried it as the previous owner blocked it off.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:29 PM

I agree. Don't use the safety. Best one is no round in the chamber until you need it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
Another post I wrote without all the info. I believe in the action open or empty chamber. Muzzle control is of utmost importance at all times, I don't trust mechanics, especially if it is someone's else's equipment. I had someone show me a firearm one day that could fire without the bolt closed all the way (it was unloaded at the time). So when it comes to trusting a safety, I believe to many folks are a little to secure in those things. I believe each person has the right to use their safety as they see fit, just not on my property. I have one firearm that has no safety built into it, no half cock, and I don't feel that it is a dangerous firearm. I also have an old winchester that I have been told has been known to fire when the safety was flipped off, I have never tried it as the previous owner blocked it off.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks cat.
Best Regards,
Rob
I'd rather shoot with someone who has Couleefolk's attitude than yours...that's for sure.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Banned

Everyone should practice safe gun handling but thats not the discussion. The real issue is that rem 700 triggers have two design problems which make them especially dangerous. Others like Timney and Shilen are not as inherently dangerous when installed on Rem rifles and provide at least as good a pull, actually better in my opinion.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Banned

Send in your junk remington's to be fixed ... nuff said!!!
Old 12-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Banned

Keep in mind the design problems of the Rem trigger cannot be fixed only minimized by adjustment. If you are sending it away anyway I would have a different style trigger installed.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks cat.
Best Regards,
Rob

Relying on a safety puts a mind at ease, to where someone can make a mistake with muzzle/trigger discipline. I'll let the sks warriors run around with their guns chambered and relying on a safety, not putting themselves in the mind state of having muzzle control as their number one priority when handling a firearm. But you can bet the people I shoot with don't rely on safeties around each other, and we will call each other out for having a chambered rifle that is not being shot atm.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:42 PM

And another Remington trigger thread goes off the rails and members starting running each other down.
Cat