Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-19-2023, 01:57 PM

Default Mercury Marine - prices!?!

Getting some parts together for my annual preventative maintenance and was astonished at the oem parts prices from Mercury.

9.9 pro kicker, T-stat $110?!, impeller $145??

These same oem parts for my 150 suzuki are half the amount.

Called several dealerships too and all similar.
The parts are not even made in Japan, all labeled made in China.
No wonder people turn to Amazon.
Love my Suzuki more and more everyday.

Last edited by Duramaximos; 08-19-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-19-2023, 02:15 PM

Default I hear ya

OEM prices are always sky high compared to jobbers. Check out any aftermarket site like iboats and see if things are any better.

I once ordered the throttle control for my I/O, aftermarketer was like 1/3 of OEM price. Funny thing, it came shipped in a Mercruiser box, fit like a glove and no issues 6 yrs later.

Good Luck
Old 08-19-2023, 04:57 PM

I too love my Suzuki df150. An OEM T stat here was $60 and a full OEM water pump kit is a hundred bucks. I’m just rolling into a thousand hours over the past four years with nothing but normal services and zero breakdowns.

I’m sure my opinion will be as popular as a turd in the punch bowl but why the two service items? Doing either of those yearly just based on time seems unnecessary. I have my donk linked to my NMEA and when I bought the boat I saw on the sounder that the engine temp was up around 90-95 deg. The tell tale looked strong but it was running warm. I did the water pump kit and the temp dropped to 70 deg. It’s now been 4 years and over 800 hours and the temp hasn’t moved so I haven’t changed it again and can’t say I’m a staunch believer in an annual change. I did the T stat about 500 hours ago “just because” but again because the temp is stable I don’t really plan on changing it again until there’s a reason to.

YMMV but food for thought “if” you have onboard engine monitoring.
Old 08-19-2023, 05:01 PM

You can buy some good OEM parts on Amazon sometime for 1/2 the price that dealers sell them for and its at your door in 3 days .
Old 08-19-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
I too love my Suzuki df150. An OEM T stat here was $60 and a full OEM water pump kit is a hundred bucks. I’m just rolling into a thousand hours over the past four years with nothing but normal services and zero breakdowns.

I’m sure my opinion will be as popular as a turd in the punch bowl but why the two service items? Doing either of those yearly just based on time seems unnecessary. I have my donk linked to my NMEA and when I bought the boat I saw on the sounder that the engine temp was up around 90-95 deg. The tell tale looked strong but it was running warm. I did the water pump kit and the temp dropped to 70 deg. It’s now been 4 years and over 800 hours and the temp hasn’t moved so I haven’t changed it again and can’t say I’m a staunch believer in an annual change. I did the T stat about 500 hours ago “just because” but again because the temp is stable I don’t really plan on changing it again until there’s a reason to.

YMMV but food for thought “if” you have onboard engine monitoring.
I change t-stats and impellars every 3-4 years.
I had 1 t-stat go bad after 5 years so I just make them part of my 3-4 year PM.
Fluids, filters, and engine anodes get changed every year.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2023, 03:02 PM

Yep, crazy. I just got an amazon thermostat for my 9.9. $32.66 - mostly decent reviews but I have my doubts. We'll see how it holds up.
Old 08-22-2023, 08:40 PM

Dented up my Merc Bravo 3 SS props this spring....Merc wanted $3000.00 for the pair...lol...I almost crapped my self!!! Found another manufacturer in California who made their version...Signature Props...For half the price, shipped and polished up nice and shiney! I also think they are better then my OEM ones as well! I think since Merc gobbled up Evinrude that they think they have a monopoly and can charge what they want...
Old 08-22-2023, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Dented up my Merc Bravo 3 SS props this spring....Merc wanted $3000.00 for the pair...lol...I almost crapped my self!!! Found another manufacturer in California who made their version...Signature Props...For half the price, shipped and polished up nice and shiney! I also think they are better then my OEM ones as well! I think since Merc gobbled up Evinrude that they think they have a monopoly and can charge what they want...
When did Mercury buy evinrude?
Old 08-23-2023, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
When did Mercury buy evinrude?
Back in spring 2020...Bombardier, who bought Evinrude back in early 2000's, folded the Evinrude and engine building operations. There was some kind of hand off to Mercury who they hailed as "A leader in the Marine Engine
Industry", and BRP now has an agreement for Merc to provide Marine Engines for its Boats...So Evinrude no longer exists. I was a big Evinrude fan...but when I got my new boat with an inboard...well Evinrude wasn't an option. Now the are gone....
Old 08-24-2023, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Back in spring 2020...Bombardier, who bought Evinrude back in early 2000's, folded the Evinrude and engine building operations. There was some kind of hand off to Mercury who they hailed as "A leader in the Marine Engine
Industry", and BRP now has an agreement for Merc to provide Marine Engines for its Boats...So Evinrude no longer exists. I was a big Evinrude fan...but when I got my new boat with an inboard...well Evinrude wasn't an option. Now the are gone....
Evinrude/OMC (who was a subsidiary of BRP) went bankrupt, and was closed - they simply shut down operations and were not purchased by Mercury or Brunswick.

There was, nor would there be any logical reason anyone would simply buy debt on a failing business and immediately cease operations .... OMC/Evinrude was bleeding millions of dollars every week when they finally shut the doors ...... That is public record.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:11 AM

I have had a few evinrude motors over the years and still have them ,some from the 1970s , goes to prove if you make to good of a product you go broke because everyone has one and no need to buy a new one. to bad great product .
Old 08-25-2023, 09:55 AM

Yep and end of an era...

"Following BRP’s decision to discontinue E-TEC and E-TEC G2 outboard engines, the company has signed an agreement with market leader Mercury Marine to support boat packages and continue to supply outboard engines to their boat brands. BRP says they will continue to supply customers and dealer network service parts and will honor manufacturer limited warranties, plus offer select programs to manage inventory. These decisions will impact 650 employees globally."

It was a good run. Honestly there is nothing wrong with a Merc either. Just curious if we start to see the BRP E-Tec tech start to end up in another manfactures engine.....
Old 09-02-2023, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Yep and end of an era...

"Following BRP’s decision to discontinue E-TEC and E-TEC G2 outboard engines, the company has signed an agreement with market leader Mercury Marine to support boat packages and continue to supply outboard engines to their boat brands. BRP says they will continue to supply customers and dealer network service parts and will honor manufacturer limited warranties, plus offer select programs to manage inventory. These decisions will impact 650 employees globally."

It was a good run. Honestly there is nothing wrong with a Merc either. Just curious if we start to see the BRP E-Tec tech start to end up in another manfactures engine.....
That announcement has NOTHING to do with Mercury making ANYTHING for Evinrude at all - BRP makes boats, skidoos, etc... and all this is saying is they will no longer use Evenrude engines and are switching to Mercury engines which makes sense since Evinrude went bankrupt as a wholly owned subsidiary.

The ONE and ONLY obligation BRP has is to supply/source aftermarket service parts specific to Evinrude - which was already in place with the dozens and dozens of Chinese manufacturers already making parts for them until the end of the warranty expires for those engines.

If I had a Evinrude (new generation) - I'd be punting that thing to the curb as quickly as some unsuspecting jerk is ready to hand me 10 cents on the dollar for that engine.

The new generation ETEC is simply genius marketing hype - they are not the messiah of outboards and never were. The old stuff was pretty good - and certainly better than ANY 2 stroke Merc ever made.

BRP let their child die - it couldn't feed itself. They didn't want to keep dumping more and more and more rescue money into a poorly managed company.

I think you are getting your wires crossed here and making some assumptions which are not true.

Mercury is simply a supplier to BRP b(like a dozen other independent OEMS). There is no ownership either way and no business arrangement outside of that, nor has there EVER been.

Last edited by EZM; 09-02-2023 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
That announcement has NOTHING to do with Mercury making ANYTHING for Evinrude at all - BRP makes boats, skidoos, etc... and all this is saying is they will no longer use Evenrude engines and are switching to Mercury engines which makes sense since Evinrude went bankrupt as a wholly owned subsidiary.

The ONE and ONLY obligation BRP has is to supply/source aftermarket service parts specific to Evinrude - which was already in place with the dozens and dozens of Chinese manufacturers already making parts for them until the end of the warranty expires for those engines.

If I had a Evinrude (new generation) - I'd be punting that thing to the curb as quickly as some unsuspecting jerk is ready to hand me 10 cents on the dollar for that engine.

The new generation ETEC is simply genius marketing hype - they are not the messiah of outboards and never were. The old stuff was pretty good - and certainly better than ANY 2 stroke Merc ever made.

BRP let their child die - it couldn't feed itself. They didn't want to keep dumping more and more and more rescue money into a poorly managed company.

I think you are getting your wires crossed here and making some assumptions which are not true.

Mercury is simply a supplier to BRP b(like a dozen other independent OEMS). There is no ownership either way and no business arrangement outside of that, nor has there EVER been.
You are absolutely correct! Evinrude just couldn't balance the budget, BRP shut it down and went to Merc..I thought there may of been some other collaboration between BRP, Merc and Evinrude...but I guess not, at least in any public releases...lol. So sorry if it seemed like I was trying to disagree with you, I was just more "Hypothetically" thinking...but it is what it is.

Back to Why The Heck Merc parts are so damn expensive...I had a couple dealers tell me that Boat Manfactures are putting a strangle hold on Merc for first dibs on engines and parts, so the general public access is limited, and these Boat Manfactures are paying top dollar to be guaranteed delivery of engines for their individual brands..so This is having a major trickle down to users access. As I said in another post...I had to replace my Bravo Three Props. To get the Merc brand, the dealer had to submit a request to Merc direct, and that I would go on a list for a set to become available, and then it would be $3k for them. Like there was only a single production run a month of props available to the general public.

Maybe I was being fed a bunch of BS...but if there is any truth at all of Boat manufactures throwing money at Merc for first dibs on product, and that Merc is doing a great job of controlling supply to just barely keep up with demand to keep prices way up...then they are doing an outstanding job of controlling market. Of course I have no proof or anything...just my own experience in trying to get parts myself. I also just had to replace my water pump...the pump was available...but holy crap it was a pricy little piece of metal!
Old 09-04-2023, 10:12 AM

bought a 4 litre jug of oil last fall to change oil in the 150 hp merc 4 stroke outboard it was $79.20 a jug that's a crazy price for regular oil .
Old 09-04-2023, 11:17 AM

I was told by the manger at Johndeer Powersports that a lot of their new Evenrudes were failing . So they stopped making them . I kinda of find that hard to believe now . Any one have an engine fail that was made in the last 5 years from Evenrude ?
Old 09-06-2023, 12:18 AM

Had a 2016 90 hp blow at the shop in 2020. They had replaced an injector and doing tank testing when she went. Got a new head and been great since but i’m still a bit leery. Wish i’ gone yammy or suzuki but had to make a choice to save a coast trip. Fingers crossed
Old 09-06-2023, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
bought a 4 litre jug of oil last fall to change oil in the 150 hp merc 4 stroke outboard it was $79.20 a jug that's a crazy price for regular oil .
You know there are a ton of great oils that cost far less than that right? I do oil samples on my Suzuki and 15w40 HDEO has given me the best results. I’m using a Mobile delvac but any diesel oil would be just fine. Previous to that I used valvoline 10w40 marine and was buying it for $20 per 4 litre jug.

JR when I was boat shopping a couple years ago I looked at one with a gen 2 evinrude 150 that had 190 hours on it. For some reason the dealer had pulled the codes off the ecm and had them there for me to look at. It was 3 pages of various faults… in 190 operating hours. I wouldn’t touch one with someone else’s money. That was the ONLY one I’ve ever seen over here in person. Nobody runs them on this ocean.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
You know there are a ton of great oils that cost far less than that right? I do oil samples on my Suzuki and 15w40 HDEO has given me the best results. I’m using a Mobile delvac but any diesel oil would be just fine. Previous to that I used valvoline 10w40 marine and was buying it for $20 per 4 litre jug.

JR when I was boat shopping a couple years ago I looked at one with a gen 2 evinrude 150 that had 190 hours on it. For some reason the dealer had pulled the codes off the ecm and had them there for me to look at. It was 3 pages of various faults… in 190 operating hours. I wouldn’t touch one with someone else’s money. That was the ONLY one I’ve ever seen over here in person. Nobody runs them on this ocean.
this year i am switching to Castorl oil its about $35. for 5 litres