Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-04-2010, 11:37 PM

Default Variable scopes, where do you set the zoom level for the range?

I just put a new Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9 scope on my rifle. I have always (30+ years) shot with a non adjustable 4 power scope, and done very well.

I put 25 rounds through it this weekend and tended to leave the scope on 4 to 6X.

Do most of you have a preferred setting on the scope; do you power it up to high magnification, or leave it lower for some wiggle room for field situations as opposed to range shooting?
Old 04-05-2010, 05:12 AM

Default max it out

For shooting at the range, I tend to turn the magnification to full to get the full benefit of the scope. I want to make sure that I do everything I can to tune the gun and optics in at the bench.
Out in the field, I crank the optics down to a 4 so I can handle any close shots, whereas anything out-there a ways, you usually have time to turn it back up as needed.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:13 AM

I ahve a 6.5-20 on my Remington. At the range it doesnt go above 8x for shooting groups at 100 yards. On the coyote calling stand it stays on 6.5. I did crank it up to 15x on my longest hit on a coyote at 409 yards. Its nice to have the higher option.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:51 AM

At the range,I would be using the scope at 9x,but in the filed ,it would be at 3x.If the animal appears at close range,I can use 3x to make a quick shot,if it appears at long range,I usually have time to adjust the magnification.If you have the scope set at 9x,and an animal appears up close,you may not be able to find it in the scope,and lose a shot opportunity.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:30 AM

For sighting in at 100 yards I prefer about 10 power however it is easily done with less magnification.

I tend to adjust the magnification randomly as the range increase. My primary scope is a 1.75-6x32. When I make increase of power, it's not a "how far is that deer, 4 power is ideal" Its a "oh that deer is far, crank the power up(without looking at the settings) and shoot"
Old 04-05-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
for shooting at the range, i tend to turn the magnification to full to get the full benefit of the scope. I want to make sure that i do everything i can to tune the gun and optics in at the bench.
Out in the field, i crank the optics down to a 4 so i can handle any close shots, whereas anything out-there a ways, you usually have time to turn it back up as needed.
x2 :d
Old 04-05-2010, 08:46 AM

X3,

But be religious about cranking it back, being caught at close range at high power can be troublesome. Also learn what low power is by touch lots of scopes have a bump on the power adjustment ring. That way you can be sure on the way in in the AM your good to go.