Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-26-2010, 10:26 PM

Default Wmu 124

I am looking at doing some hunting in WMU 124. How is the area for land owner permission....I want to do foot access only...drive to the area then walk.

Also with the CWD is there any concerns for that WMU as well?

Any ideas and information would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:14 AM

Deer numbers are very low due to the number of issued licenses the last couple of years. I've heard it is tuff to find mature bucks but there will always be some along the river. I was told by an SRD biologist they flew this zone a year ago and did not count many deer. But get this, even though there wasn't many deer left there they weren't really going to consider the count because they think the deer went over to WMU 116 because of the amount of snow.Ha! Ya, they packed their suitcases and crossed the #3HWY to vacation in 116 , where there was probably more snow.
Anyway, if thats where you want to hunt you should go for it because I couldnt tell you a better zone at the moment. Our mule deer resource has been devastated in most of south eastern AB. Like I said, if you can get to areas of the river that most hunters won't work for, you'll probably do OK. Most of the landowners don't mind foot access.
Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the insight! Its a good starting point. Anyone else have any helpful info for down there? It would be all archery hunting.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 PM

There are some pretty good spots all along the river. I hunted more in the Bow Island area of the zone. Most of the landowners are good for permission. The only area that you likely will not get on is Walbugers straight north of Bow Island. Don't be too picky in this zone. I have seen a few 180 mulies but that was before the big kill off. There may be the odd one still around but it is mainly smaller bucks.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:21 PM

Mulecrazy

That doesn't sound very encouraging if they have been killed off. Will it continue to be that way or do you think it will come back?

I had heard that the river valley was a great place to hunt so was thinking on checking it out...but if its not a great area...I might consider looking elsewhere.

Thats why I am hoping to get as much feedback as possible.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:32 PM

It may very well be close to what it used to be. I believe they cut the tags back the last two seasons. This may have helped bring the quality back up for this year. I haven't hunted there in probably 5 or 6 years myself, but I know a few that still do. If you put the time in you should be able to connect on a pretty decent buck (160+). The river valley can be great in some areas. The hutterites land gets hunted pretty hard. Rapson's can be tough to get permission unless you know him like I do. The next several properties are easy permission. the BI grazing lease always holds a good buck or two and is supposed to be walk in only. The next property is walburgers I believe, and he is an a- hole. I was related to him and still no go. Then it is Thackers, good for giving permission on everything except right behind their main farm. That pretty much takes you all the way from one end of the zone to the other on the south side. The north side has some decent areas but I only hunted them a few times. Laidlaws have the gravel pits and a ton of land that can hold some great deer. Nice country just not as many deer.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:39 PM

Mulecrazy

Thats some great information and connections down there! Sounds like you know your stuff and the area. Thanks for the great tips. Don't be surprised if i come to you for more information and more questions. I have a friend ion that area and we are lookign for a place to hunt with bows for a week or two of the archery season is all.

You have given me a great start on the area thats for sure!
Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch10 View Post
Mulecrazy

Thats some great information and connections down there! Sounds like you know your stuff and the area. Thanks for the great tips. Don't be surprised if i come to you for more information and more questions. I have a friend ion that area and we are lookign for a place to hunt with bows for a week or two of the archery season is all.

You have given me a great start on the area thats for sure!
No Problem, I don't mind helping a guy out. Its always tough starting in a new area and not knowing anything about it. Fire me a PM if you have any other questions. Like I said, its been a few years since I hunted there, but I still know most of the area quite well. Where are you living? What about your buddy? If I knew your starting point I could probably give you a bit better starting area to learn.