Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-06-2014, 05:57 PM

Default Access to wetlands?

Anyone know the low down of recreational access to wetlands? I've been skimming the Alberta srd links for a few days now and can't find anything. Left two voicemails and one email with f and w Edmonton. Better yet if anyone can post the link to the regs I'll gladly read them. Read the wet lands act, recreational access to public land regs from beginning to end. No info.

Basically I'm Looking at topo and google maps of bodies of water. How Do I go about finding if I can even hunt on that body of water?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
Anyone know the low down of recreational access to wetlands? I've been skimming the Alberta srd links for a few days now and can't find anything. Left two voicemails and one email with f and w Edmonton. Better yet if anyone can post the link to the regs I'll gladly read them. Read the wet lands act, recreational access to public land regs from beginning to end. No info.

Basically I'm Looking at topo and google maps of bodies of water. How Do I go about finding if I can even hunt on that body of water?

Thanks in advance.
Hunt Blackfoot that is your only choice.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:41 PM

First off. Sorry I posted this in the wrong place. Serves me right by using my iPhone and having a day thumb.

Second. What does hunt black foot mean? It's kind of a vague answer, in relatively new to hunting waterfowl. Is that a location?
Old 08-06-2014, 06:59 PM

Yes it is a public hunting area East of Edmonton.

http://www.dotheblackfoot.ca/
Old 08-06-2014, 07:33 PM

Awesome. I did a quick search, looks appealing.

Although, do you have any other info as to the rules and regs for recreational access to wetlands? I mean I really appreciate a hunting spot given to me as much as the next guy but it doesn't answer my question or offer a solution to the situation I asked about.

And how is the Blackfoot my only choice? I asked for info on regs or how to decipher where I can or can't access wetlands. And your response was. “Hunt Blackfoot, that is your only choice”. I’m still kind of scratching my head at that answer. I don't mean to come across as rude but I feel your answer was either given in haste or wasn't really directed towards my question, at all. Please correct me if I miss-understood your response.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
Awesome. I did a quick search, looks appealing.

Although, do you have any other info as to the rules and regs for recreational access to wetlands? I mean I really appreciate a hunting spot given to me as much as the next guy but it doesn't answer my question or offer a solution to the situation I asked about.

And how is the Blackfoot my only choice? I asked for info on regs or how to decipher where I can or can't access wetlands. And your response was. “Hunt Blackfoot, that is your only choice”. I’m still kind of scratching my head at that answer. I don't mean to come across as rude but I feel your answer was either given in haste or wasn't really directed towards my question, at all. Please correct me if I miss-understood your response.
Well I was kinda being a jerk. Most of us burn many tanks of fuel finding crown gems and talking to landowners. Then spend 1000's of dollars in gear like blinds and decoys. It is a lot of work getting places to go. Blackfoot is a good choice for those who want to take the orientation course and get a chance to hunt. Read the regs they are clear. If you don't know contact the authorities, judging by your picture you may already know who to call. If you need help with learning how to hunt waterfowl two things come to mind, look for someone in the "Hunting Partner" list or get a guided hunt. Sorry for being a jerk but it seems like someone always wants a place to shoot gophers, target shoot etc without putting in the work. As per the access to wetlands I will give you the fast and dirty.
1. Private wetlands. Ensure your in an area that you can discharge a firearm. Get permission from the owner of the private land or use an unmaintained road allowance. See "dominion land survey" for that explanation.
2. Public wetlands. Ensure your in an area that you can discharge a firearm. Enjoy the fact your a free Canadian and get some critters.

....leave a wing on when your driving home.....

Last edited by Bergerboy; 08-06-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:34 AM

Ok. I completely understand how it is. I’ve been hunting since I was a little lad as well. Fairley new to water fowl though. With that said I’m just trying to gather information as to where the exact regs are. When I set my mind to something I like to learn about it completely. I’m just seeking info. From my experience on this site unfortunately I’ve learned the hard way that one should not ask questions here without looking into it themselves through other sources. It seems many people are looking to poke fun at someone or pick apart their terminology and derail the thread rather than answer the question or help a guy out. I am in NO way saying that was you or your intent, I’m just saying that is why I’ve tried to look elsewhere so I wouldn’t become a victim of this treatment either. I’m not looking to toot my own horn but when it comes to hunting big game and shooting rifles I’m a pretty accomplished individual. Although like anything you want to be good at it takes the proper practice and mentoring. I’m just trying to start the ground work for water fowl hunting.

I’ve already called f and w 2 times and left 1 E-mail. I've been talkign with DU and there are looking into compiling for maps for me as to locations of their wetlands. And believe it or not, not ALL authorities know the answers and it seems many try to pass the buck down the line. That just seems to be what I’m getting is all. I’m not looking for anyone’s honey hole. Basically, I have all the gear needed for taking birds over the water. Jon boat, mud motor, MANY decoys and enough gear to completely cover 3 shooters (waders, shot guns, camo, you name it). I even have friends who have gear and dogs that are willing to volunteer there time.

Awhile back I asked for info about becoming a guide. I did this so I could take people out (legal reasons) for FREE with the intention of asking them to donate money to DU. Or, I would take donations and gift all the money to a wildlife charity at the end of the year. I’m not looking to make any money but rather share the experience with people who can’t afford the opportunity or who are just starting off and need a hand. Since I’ll be going out anyways it’s just a matter of someone hopping in the pickup with me and away we go. I’m hoping to get the hang of this then get into the field gig as well. I already know tons of farmers and my family has a very large supply of land so I’m not worried about that part. Altough when it comes to water, I'm a complete newbie.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:58 AM
Banned

I no longer hunt waterfowl, but used to. There is Frank Lake just east of High River which is where I used to hunt and is as far as I know still a popular area. Perhaps contacting Duck Unlimited or checking out their web site for locations closer to yours may be of some help to you. Good luck
Old 08-07-2014, 09:21 AM

Here you go. Hundreds of places to hunt. Many are wetlands.

http://www.albertadiscoverguide.com/

Just double check the activities allowed. The ACA indicates that hunting is allowed in Lacombe Park pond in St. Albert. I used to live two blocks from that pond. It's surrounded by houses and is within town limits. No way you can hunt there. LOL
Old 08-07-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I no longer hunt waterfowl, but used to. There is Frank Lake just east of High River which is where I used to hunt and is as far as I know still a popular area. Perhaps contacting Duck Unlimited or checking out their web site for locations closer to yours may be of some help to you. Good luck
X2 on this. We have a duck unlimited outside of Calgary and every hunting season all you hear is bang bang bang. I fished there one time and all you see is shot shell casing everywhere..... can't even pick up your own casing...sheesh...
Old 08-07-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotang View Post
X2 on this. We have a duck unlimited outside of Calgary and every hunting season all you hear is bang bang bang. I fished there one time and all you see is shot shell casing everywhere..... can't even pick up your own casing...sheesh...
You fished Frank Lake??

Yes, it's terrible when you are trying to quietly fish in a ducks unlimited site during hunting season and hunters are shooting... bang bang bang! maddening, eh??? I think you need to expect shooting my friend.

Do agree on knobs not picking up their hulls. I just always plan on picking up my own plus the previous guy's.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotang View Post
Did you catch any of the monster brown trout out of Frank Lake?
Old 08-07-2014, 04:38 PM

Default Head east of Edmonton

Look for the Hairy Hill, Willingdon area.
Check a topo map of that area. Locate the big water. Get a landowners map. Go meetin landowners this month.

If you put in the effort.
You'll find my old duck and goose patches.

It's also Helpful if your last name is Ukrainian.

Good luck.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."