Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-17-2012, 10:52 AM

Default Medicine Hat To Sandy Point

I'm looking to do a weekend trip down the river from Medicine Hat to Sandy Point. Has anyone done this? I'm just looking for a timeline and some tips. Thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Banned

trip in what? in a jetboat its no sweat. just drifting a tinny is 4 days minimum, can be as much as 6, and in a canoe you can make it in 3 days if you are paddling hard. there is a stretch of rapids near whiterock coulee that can get a little hairy too, depending on time of year.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:06 PM

A couple of 16' Lunds with 20hp motors. We would drive a bit then coast and fish then camp at night and repeat. I've been told around 3-4 days depending on the time of year. I assume the rapids are worse in the spring rather then summer?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:19 PM

Must have been low water a few years ago for my son and I camped at Sandy end of September while hunting and put square stern in a few times with electric motor and it was all we could do to fish a bit as constantly pulling electric motor to clear sand bars in shallow water.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulful View Post
A couple of 16' Lunds with 20hp motors. We would drive a bit then coast and fish then camp at night and repeat. I've been told around 3-4 days depending on the time of year. I assume the rapids are worse in the spring rather then summer?
That won't work, even with high water because if it's high you can't see anything due to dirty water. The only motorized boat you'll cover any ground with is a jet. There are a lot of shallow areas and the river is constantly shifting so nothings marked. In a 16' aluminum you can end up in a place where it's going to take a lot of heaving to get it free. If your determined the best time would be when the water clears after the high waters of June, it will go down through the summer and into the fall after that. In the fall you could end up in some really bad spots with a heavy boat like that.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Banned

well....it can be done....but it may cost you a prop or two depending how careful you are. best have some waders or be prepared to get wet as you may end up grounded. if you are planning on stopping to fish, you will want to have more than just a weekend. thats a longer trip than what it first appears.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:09 PM

What are the rules regarding travel through Suffield?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:12 PM

Yeah it's probably better to assume it's going to take us 4-5 days. Thanks Guys