Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-01-2020, 07:34 PM

Default Sylvan - Fall Whites - Amazing Day to bad the Season Ends Oct 31st.

Oct 01st ..... Bty day, clear blue sky, 22C not a breath of wind, only 2 other boats out, went out for an hour or so, the Whites are starting to move into the shallows, lost more than I caught, no walleye today, to sunny out.

A few pic's of the fall colors..... enjoy.

D.

Dinner for one!

Old 10-01-2020, 08:04 PM

Awesome pics, couple of nice whites. Looks like you had a great day on the water.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:11 PM

Great pics. I've never fished for whitefish before, but I think I'm going to give it a shot this weekend, I hear that this is the time to target them.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:28 AM

It's a bty morning here in Sylvan ... Scott & I may see you out on the water ... have a fun day.

D.

Old 10-03-2020, 10:22 AM

Some awesome pics. Gotta luv the fall colors. I'm totally jealous. The first pic of your little floating paddler and PFD makes it look like you "R" the ghost in the machine. No wonder you catch fish. They don't see you coming. Perfect weather for easy paddlin'
I might try and make it out tomorrow with the boat. Have to put in on the north side I think.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Some awesome pics. Gotta luv the fall colors. I'm totally jealous. The first pic of your little floating paddler and PFD makes it look like you "R" the ghost in the machine. No wonder you catch fish. They don't see you coming. Perfect weather for easy paddlin'
I might try and make it out tomorrow with the boat. Have to put in on the north side I think.

Barb .... if you get out tomorrow enjoy the day the weather couldn't be better last year on this weekend we had snow on the ground.

D.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:01 PM

Oct 3rd – Scott & I launched at Half Moon Bay, another bty day, light wind, warm 23C but fishin was slow, we tried a number of our fav spots from 10-23 fow which didn’t produce many today, had fun but lost more than we caught. Got a couple of Whites & Walleye, a skinny Pike & rescued a Jack-OL that was floating in the middle of the lake.

A few pic’s … enjoy.

D.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:27 PM

Nice work guys!!! I think im gunna head to sylvan one last time next week...pm me if u wanna meet up and fish!!!

Happy
Old 10-04-2020, 12:56 AM

What did the pumpkin bite on? Was it a good fight? Weight?
Old 10-04-2020, 07:48 AM

Nice fall work Zip and Scott! Lake looks very picturesque.
Some of those whites are fatties.

Did you smash that pumpkin in honor of the band?
Old 10-04-2020, 12:56 PM

Was a fantastic day despite the slow fishing. Great company as always makes for an enjoyable trip!

I'll add a few of my pics, sorry no details on the pumpkin as I released it to Zip.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2020, 02:43 PM

Im going to camp at jarvis this Thursday for a nite or 2....question is if I drive from the capsite to the lake is there a area that I can put my 1 man pontoon in the lake?

Tnx

Happy
Old 10-04-2020, 02:48 PM

The Jack-O' is a hybrid species related to a Pickerel & found only in Sylvan during a full moon in October, residents occasional catch one around Halloween ... happy trick or treat.

D.

See ....

Old 10-04-2020, 04:05 PM

I figured you guys would be tight lipped and secretive about the lures, techniques and the spots you were catching pumpkins ..................
Old 10-04-2020, 09:06 PM

Hopefully the skinny pike thing starts to turn around with a good thinning of the walleyes this winter and a hatch of whites that might make it to juvenile stage at least. Historically one of the best lakes for true giant pike with a tendency for short thick healthy fish. I remember about 15 years ago or so catching and releasing monster pike around Thanksgiving out of there. I hope there's enough to keep spawning and they come back. Perch too. Was a great deep water perch lake in the day.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Hopefully the skinny pike thing starts to turn around with a good thinning of the walleyes this winter and a hatch of whites that might make it to juvenile stage at least. Historically one of the best lakes for true giant pike with a tendency for short thick healthy fish. I remember about 15 years ago or so catching and releasing monster pike around Thanksgiving out of there. I hope there's enough to keep spawning and they come back. Perch too. Was a great deep water perch lake in the day.
true 1.5 pound perch all winter long in deep water , those were the days.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
similar to this.......... Was out at Sunbreaker yesterday midday and had a good day. I really feel like the average size of walleye is going up. We all know that walleye in Sylvan are pretty stunted....a ton of 16-18" fish. Yesterday, we never caught anything under 18 and had the fattest 20" that I've ever seen. I'm curious if the new "cull" (allowing one per person, per day) is helping increase the average size on Sylvan. We had a small (but healthy - not skinny!) pike in the mix as well. I was really happy to see some slightly bigger fish coming out of Sylvan finally. I'm not sure Sylvan can ever produce true trophy walleye (25"+) but that's the only thing I really want. A truly great trophy walleye lake...
Old 10-06-2020, 11:49 AM

nice hear that the fish are getting bigger.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:18 PM

It's going to take a few years before you see any significant size changes in Sylvan, it will be interesting to see what plans Ab Fisheries Mgt have for Sylvan next year.

The Whites are in the early pre-spawn stages, a few females are moving around the shallows, haven't caught any males yet, the last few years Males showed up in the last 2 weeks of October just before first ice.

D.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Oct 3rd – Scott & I launched at Half Moon Bay, another bty day, light wind, warm 23C but fishin was slow, we tried a number of our fav spots from 10-23 fow which didn’t produce many today, had fun but lost more than we caught. Got a couple of Whites & Walleye, a skinny Pike & rescued a Jack-OL that was floating in the middle of the lake.
Are those the 1/32 jig heads from Cabela's? Saw one of your earlier posts and I tried using those with the exact same Mister Twister for whitefish, but couldn't get any. Switched to the wireworm under a bobber though and was successful. What kind of retrieve do you use for the jig, if you don't mind? Jigging them would be much more fun than bobber fishing. Much thanks.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akn View Post
Are those the 1/32 jig heads from Cabela's? Saw one of your earlier posts and I tried using those with the exact same Mister Twister for whitefish, but couldn't get any. Switched to the wireworm under a bobber though and was successful. What kind of retrieve do you use for the jig, if you don't mind? Jigging them would be much more fun than bobber fishing. Much thanks.
Yes, got them at Cabellas and better one's with bit longer shank at Bass Pro. Have a read on one of my old threads .... it will answer all your q's.

Good fishin.

D.

Link ..... http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=353179

Old 10-10-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, got them at Cabellas and better one's with bit longer shank at Bass Pro. Have a read on one of my old threads .... it will answer all your q's.

Good fishin.

D.

Link ..... http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=353179

Thanks. The spot I was fishing at was quite rocky so I couldn't jig off the bottom. Wasn't getting much success swimming and twitching the jig but they did hit an ultralight spoon I had!
Old 10-30-2020, 08:40 PM

Default Season Ender - Amazing Day

Oct 30th ….. decided to give it one more try before the season ends on Oct 31st, went out at 2:30 it was +6C & no wind, BTY afternoon. For those who are wondering no ice on the lake or around the shore lines.

For all the years I’ve been fishin Whites on Sylvan this was my P/B ever, the pre-spawn Whites were schooled up together in 7-8 fow over light sand/gravel bottom, I netted 5 in a row in ½ hour or less, was only keeping the smaller males and released the larger fatter females which are still developing eggs. These fish were so aggressive they hit hard and fought like crazy breaking water doing tail walks like big Rainbows, my mini Mr. Twister & 1/32oz produced like never before.

I decided to give them a rest and moved over to the rock humps that produced last year and was hoping to maybe catch a few Walleye, no walleye but a few more Whites. Moved back to where I was catching them earlier and the action continued they were chasing my presentation & just hammering the jig. Departed at 4:30 pm and won’t say how many I caught because I lost count and you wouldn’t believe me as the number was that high.

What an amazing afternoon & perhaps my last day, not sure what tomorrow will bring, it’s 4C & raining here now with NW wind gusting up to 62 km/h. If you get out to Sylvan or Gull hope you have a good day.

Cheers

David

A few Pic’s …. Enjoy.

My Custom F-Tube next to Pike that didn’t make it.

Maybe 5-6 lbs but sure skinny.

Some sun with no Wind perfect float tube day

Mini Mr. Twister produced big numbers today

Released lots today

Splash

Majority were Females this size.

Went back to Spawn Out.

Bag Full

Males ….

Unfortunately one was a Female

Fish Fry for Mrs.

Hope you enjoyed the thread some fishin tips & the pic's.

D.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:46 PM

Great day on the water & a nice meal or two for the bonus. Thanks for the write-up & pics. Awesome!!
Old 10-30-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Great day on the water & a nice meal or two for the bonus. Thanks for the write-up & pics. Awesome!!
Tks it was a great day ... I also enjoyed listening to all the Canada's & a bunch of Swans cheering me on, they're mechanical & never stop.

D.

Old 10-31-2020, 04:09 PM

Oct 31 ... no fishin for me, went out for a walk this afternoon, it's +7C with a light south wind didn't see any boats out, maybe everyone's at Sunbreaker or maybe Gull lake today.

Did you get out ?

D.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:40 AM

Not for me Zip. Too much to do around the house.

Congrats on the stellar day! Good on you for releasing the fatter girls.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:06 PM

I was out at sunbreaker....only landed 1 white....missed 5.....

Others limited out it was my final trip on open water.

Worked on ice shack...its all ready to go!!!
Old 11-01-2020, 08:12 PM

That's it for Sylvan & Gull until Dec 11th ... with this warm weather may have to make a trip to Troutville.

D.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
That's it for Sylvan & Gull until Dec 11th ... with this warm weather may have to make a trip to Troutville.

D.
I'm calling early ice this year. Water temps are very low due to the 2 week cold blast. Starting this Friday, back to cold. Look to be a long term cold of temps that will not hit zero for awhile. Ice should be back with a vengeance