Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2020, 10:43 PM

My neighbors husband has had it for two weeks and is apparently on the mend. He’s been in a nursing home for about 1.5 years due to his MS, she would bring him home daily until the home went into Covid lockdown. She visits him at his window now. Apparently he got sick to a point where he would not eat or speak, but is improving (at least last I spoke with her two days ago). He’s 75
Old 05-15-2020, 08:47 AM

I had pneumonia for the first time ever in early-mid January, I was in Victoria and Vancouver for a work function the week before Christmas... just a guess but I think I likely had it.

LC
Old 10-22-2020, 10:33 AM

Default Anyone go through this yet?

Just a bump to see how many of our members have tested positive, or have family/friends/co-workers that have.

Two co-workers that I know are currently positive for COVID. One guy is a bit younger that me 49 or so, had a bit if a cough and a sore throat, not sure where he picked it up.

The other guy in his early 60’s, fairly overweight/diabetic, was asymptomatic. He had gotten tested as his wife had flu like symptoms and tested positive. Source unknown for her.

Not co-workers in the same building, but same business unit, so no direct contact.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:42 AM

Nobody in my circles yet, not even a scare all summer. But in the last few weeks alone I know of six completely unrelated people that have had to self isolate. Feels like the second wave's gonna hit any day now...winter could be interesting.

I'm literally just about to move to a new apartment to work in office again. 100% convinced it'll be WFH within two weeks of signing a lease
Old 10-22-2020, 11:03 AM

Nobody I know has had it or died from it.
But I did have 3 friends die from Cancer over the last 3 months.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
But was is the main factor or a contributing factor? Did she have other issues? I’m starting to think that a lot of these so called Covid deaths are misconstrued now at this point... #bringbackmygym
People die every day. It never used to make the news. Label it a covid death and all of a suddenly people get all worked up and willingly give up freedoms, rights and futures.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevarm guy View Post
Sorry to hear about your friends who have passed on.
I have a couple of friends dealing with cancer right now. Covod has overshadowed their treatments. Its pretty frustrating.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:15 AM
Banned

Neighbors wife had it, bit of a fever and lost her sense of taste, by the time she got her test results back she was already better. A friend of mine also got it, here’s what he had to say;

Old 10-22-2020, 11:26 AM

No Vid ,nor know of anyone that has/had it.

But it has been awesome cancelling Thanksgiving and Xmas due to an abundance of caution due to Mrs. Omega's health risks.

I dislike family gatherings where all the effort and expense is mine, So Covid has been a unexpected bonus.

Will save at least a grand on food and booze alone

Let er buck
Old 10-22-2020, 11:34 AM

My son's 2 coworkers tested positive, so my family, his family, my daughter and her family, and the MIL were all told to take 14 day isolation waiting for symptoms. My son's entire crew in Ft Mac was forced to take mandatory isolation for 2 weeks without pay, and my son's fiance lost her job which started the day they were told to isolate. Thats over 20 families that lost half a month of income for 1 idiot that went to work sick and was subsequently terminated due to his stupidity.

2 of my clients Wives died from it, 1 was 47 1 was 56.

There has been 3 cases (that were confirmed) in my town.

I have had to isolate 3 separate times due to Ft Mac. 6 weeks of no income is rough.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-22-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevarm guy View Post
This is one of the real tragedies of how things have been handled. Also know of two suicides due to financial ruin
Old 10-22-2020, 11:45 AM

My wife's grandma (in Romania) got it. Walked into hospital with difficulty breathing. Woke up dead. Everyone there is 99.9% sure it was incompetent staff that killed her with the ventilator.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:09 PM

Default Numbers I know

Number of people who died in quicksand = 0
Number of victims of acid rain = 0
Number of people who ate, went swimming, drown from cramps = 0
Number of people who died of AIDS = 0
Number of people who died playing lawn darts = 0
Number of people who contracted the coronavirus = 0

Number of people I know who ended it because of financial/personal hardships due to the fallout from the threat of coronavirus = 2
Old 10-22-2020, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
My son's 2 coworkers tested positive, so my family, his family, my daughter and her family, and the MIL were all told to take 14 day isolation waiting for symptoms. My son's entire crew in Ft Mac was forced to take mandatory isolation for 2 weeks without pay, and my son's fiance lost her job which started the day they were told to isolate. Thats over 20 families that lost half a month of income for 1 idiot that went to work sick and was subsequently terminated due to his stupidity.

2 of my clients Wives died from it, 1 was 47 1 was 56.

There has been 3 cases (that were confirmed) in my town.

I have had to isolate 3 separate times due to Ft Mac. 6 weeks of no income is rough.
Ken, the two that died, were they healthy before covid positive and are you sure it was covid that killed them? I know you personally so I know you’re not lying I’m just checking the circumstances surrounding their death.

My next question is do you see the amount of financial and social hardship this virus has caused without infecting anyone? You have just posted one mans experience, now times that by 10,000,000 (say about 1 in 4 Canadians) and we start to get an idea of how bad the threat of the virus is compared to the actual physical damage that’s happened. That’s just the immediate effects we are seeing now, wait until Christmas, January, February when depression normally hits a mentally stable population, things will get worse.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:22 PM
Banned

I got very sick after dinner on Father's day, was stuck in bed with the fever for a couple days. It took about a week for me to get back to normal, I don't think I've ever been quite that sick. I got a test on the Monday, negative results on Wednesday. My wife never got sick but I did my best to say away from her until I was doing better.

I was chatting with my doc sometime later and told him the story including the negative test and he said, "don't be so sure you didn't have it". There's a bunch of factors that can cause false negatives with the RT-PCR test and the false positive rate is around 20%.

So my answer is "maybe" and I doubt I'll ever know for sure.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Number of people who died in quicksand = 0
Number of victims of acid rain = 0
Number of people who ate, went swimming, drown from cramps = 0
Number of people who died of AIDS = 0
Number of people who died playing lawn darts = 0
Number of people who contracted the coronavirus = 0

Number of people I know who ended it because of financial/personal hardships due to the fallout from the threat of coronavirus = 2
The fall out of this is going to be alot worst then the covid itself, lots of business and families are hurting... rolling into the depressing winter months
Old 10-22-2020, 02:06 PM

My hunting partner died in August of COVID. He was super healthy, and leaves behind a new baby. He died in Mexico, not sure if that mattered much.

Also, my neighbours mom died of it, she was in her 90s.

Sure miss my buddy...
Old 10-22-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Ken, the two that died, were they healthy before covid positive and are you sure it was covid that killed them? I know you personally so I know you’re not lying I’m just checking the circumstances surrounding their death.

My next question is do you see the amount of financial and social hardship this virus has caused without infecting anyone? You have just posted one mans experience, now times that by 10,000,000 (say about 1 in 4 Canadians) and we start to get an idea of how bad the threat of the virus is compared to the actual physical damage that’s happened. That’s just the immediate effects we are seeing now, wait until Christmas, January, February when depression normally hits a mentally stable population, things will get worse.
I didnt interrogate the grieving husbands. They said covid killed their wives so I offered my condolences and shoulder.

Part 2
I dont know what to believe anymore other than 2 things which have not changed, I dont want it, and I dont want to give it to anyone.

If all of the planet had not taken precautions would there be 10x or 10,000,000x the amount of deaths? Like everyone says, most of the populace is still alive, they have the rest of their lives to recover, or recover from the loss through sickness or suicide.

It's so easy to say 'it's all bull**** we should have carried on with business as usual' but making decisions after the fact is always easier than before. Every genius talking **** about the stupid way things were done think they could have done a better job of everything that happens, after the fact.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-22-2020, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I was chatting with my doc sometime later and told him the story including the negative test and he said, "don't be so sure you didn't have it". There's a bunch of factors that can cause false negatives with the RT-PCR test and the false positive rate is around 20%.
There a typo there, should have written the false NEGATIVE rate is around 20%. Shouldn't post when I'm on the phone.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:46 PM

Many I know have been tested...NONE were positive.....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:08 PM

Well we had an outbreak at work and they did some testing 16/28 tested positive. There were 115 people in camp, after some bad press the government sent everyone home, most people I believe were going to get tested when they got home. I’m sure there were more cases but people either recovered while up north or while at home. Only 3 people showed any symptoms, fever for a couple days and 1 guy had a cough. Other than that 6 other people, all mild symptoms or asymptomatic
Old 10-22-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Just a bump to see how many of our members have tested positive, or have family/friends/co-workers that have.

Two co-workers that I know are currently positive for COVID. One guy is a bit younger that me 49 or so, had a bit if a cough and a sore throat, not sure where he picked it up.

The other guy in his early 60’s, fairly overweight/diabetic, was asymptomatic. He had gotten tested as his wife had flu like symptoms and tested positive. Source unknown for her.

Not co-workers in the same building, but same business unit, so no direct contact.
Not one person that I know has had it, family, close friends, distant friends, my staff of 50, 289 facebook friends, local social media pages....NOT one.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:38 PM

I had it back in March. Quite sure I picked it up passing through the Ottawa airport. My symptoms were mild sniffles, sneezing, a few days of fever, chills, aches and pains in my joints, a few stomach issues, and a minor cough. The worst part was sporadic chest pains and difficulty breathing that felt similar to pneumonia. The symptoms lasted about a month but I did not have to be admitted to a hospital. Since then however, I have no lung capacity as I always feel out of breath. Prior to the COVID I was doing 10 to 15 km a day. Now I get winded going up a flight of stairs. Struggling to get the cardio back.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:41 PM

I finally know a person that has covid. He is in Texas and chatted with him and is doing fine. I am well aware it a dangerous virus and I certainly do not want it with asthma. I wear a mask everywhere I visit
Old 10-22-2020, 05:03 PM

A kid in his early 20's here just reported he has it.

Old 10-22-2020, 05:11 PM

I know a lot of people in a community that had a large outbreak. And I know quite a few that had it. It was very mild for 90% of them. There was some that had a rough couple weeks. The people that died were in such rough shape before Covid, that they would have passed from the flu or H1N1 as well.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
I had it back in March. Quite sure I picked it up passing through the Ottawa airport. My symptoms were mild sniffles, sneezing, a few days of fever, chills, aches and pains in my joints, a few stomach issues, and a minor cough. The worst part was sporadic chest pains and difficulty breathing that felt similar to pneumonia. The symptoms lasted about a month but I did not have to be admitted to a hospital. Since then however, I have no lung capacity as I always feel out of breath. Prior to the COVID I was doing 10 to 15 km a day. Now I get winded going up a flight of stairs. Struggling to get the cardio back.
THIS is the kind of stuff I'm personally worried about.

Otherwise healthy individuals showing long term effects like this.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:38 PM

I was in California, when that state, and the area around LA where I was happened to be the "hot spot" - this was, literally, the day the Canadian Government shut down the borders and I was boarding my flight back to Edmonton with "flu like symptoms" (was a Friday)

Came home, isolated for 14 days. Was sick, not deathly ill or anything, but with flu like symptoms, for roughly 5 days then got better. I did have a cough that was worse than usual, my breathing was loud and was tired and couldn't keep my eyes open (which was a little unusual for me or nothing like I ever experienced with other colds or flus). But overall, it wasn't what I would call serious but I'm under 50, have no real health issues, etc...

Was "tested" pretty early on just days after the testing center was set up. 3 swabs, current, +3 days, +6 days tests (2 different test I guess). 2 negative, 1 inconclusive.

I recently learned that the early tests has a false positive and false negative error rate that was >30% my neighbor, who is a doctor, is consulting with the provincial task force for Covid through a fellow doctor and colleague of his - so the source is SOLID on how unreliable the early tests were.

Makes sense I guess.

So, who knows. In some ways, maybe it's better to have had it and carry some immunity for a while until it mutates another 6-7 versions - but who knows now.

Either way - I remain diligent and respectful of this virus and do my part and don't cry HOAX and whine about the freedoms it takes away from me by wearing a silly little mask when I'm in public - I'd hate to be the self centered blatantly ignorant person who's selfish and paranoid behavior takes away the life of a bystander who is a mother, father, grandparent of someone else.

I realize this isn't about ME - and it's not about what I want - it's about what's best for everyone.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:06 PM
Gone Hunting

I know several people who have tested positive for the virus, only one got sick.

At present our next door neighbors are in lock-down due to one family member testing positive, so far no one in that home has had symptoms.

In light of recent reports by several Ontario based news papers I don't know what to think.

To quote those news sources;

Quote:
The daily pandemic death counts in Ontario include people who have tested positive for COVID-19 but have not necessarily died from the virus.

The exact number of people who fit into this category is unknown by the government and not even being counted.

The Sun was able to confirm this information after speaking with three of the hardest hit public health units in Ontario — Toronto, Ottawa and Peel Region
I would add, I expect those reports to disappear in the next few days.
Either that or they will be retracted and claims that some error was made by the reporter or reporters involved will be made.

I guess I'm getting covid burn out.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-22-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I know several people who have tested positive for the virus, only one got sick.

At present our next door neighbors are in lock-down due to one family member testing positive, so far no one in that home has had symptoms.

In light of recent reports by several Ontario based news papers I don't know what to think.

To quote those news sources;

I would add, I expect those reports to disappear in the next few days.
Either that or they will be retracted and claims that some error was made by the reporter or reporters involved will be made.

I guess I'm getting covid burn out.
The article I linked was from oct 8th. Hasn’t disappeared yet......