Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2020, 10:29 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEVawnzg...=1hl3h96erc0qf

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEVawnzg...d=hvbs27wrwl1n

Update on Sundance lake.

We have schools of smaller perch in the shallows this year. I see the smallest 1 inchers being new young of the year.

Then we have a fair number 2 year olds and lesser three year olds.

On the top end we are seeing NG far more 8,9 and 10 inch perch with some 11’s. Lost one today likely 12 inch

We have brown trout (9-12 inchers) being stocked this Fall to target the 1-3 year old perch.

Filling a bucket in 3-4 hours was not difficult.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-26-2020, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the update. Pretty envious about your steady supply!
Old 08-26-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Update on Sundance lake.
Were you out on the lake or fishing from shore? Nice haul
Old 10-11-2020, 11:26 PM

As we near the wrap up so open water 2020 perch fishing at Sundance we have seen some Horrible day early on, unable to find any. I think fishing from shore I caught like six only all season.

Lots of trout seem to have scared the perch from the shallows until the water warmed. Then there were some but not a lot near shore. It seemed casting to shore and reeling back out seemed to pick up some big ones, and by big ones the topper wa 12 inches long.

Come August and September and into October the perch were found off shore and in moderate numbers. We have had a good day filling 4 kitty litter buckets of large 8-12 inch perch. A bucket is worth about 2.2 lb of bonesless fillets.

Slow presentations on bottom with the standard hooks and eyeballs, maggots and mealworms working.

Perch are better fed and as such are less aggressive biting...sometimes, patience is now needed. Increase skill also needed.

Hoping to run some how to catch perch sessions this winter.

Given the big perch...I am hoping for a bigger interest in catching them to aid fisheries management.

Browns, brooks and rainbows as well as large perch should be eating smaller perch, lake Chub and fathead minnows.

I know if I am lucky enough to be physically able...I will be chasing perch.

We are proud of the community efforts to make Sundance the be recreational sport fishing lake in Calgary.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-13-2020, 01:11 PM

Glad to hear some nice size perch are back!
Old 10-14-2020, 08:57 AM

If you are having some open days this winter we will be in. Great job getting the popuation under control.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
Glad to hear some nice size perch are back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudnut View Post
If you are having some open days this winter we will be in. Great job getting the popuation under control.
I would love to be a genius and know everything we did has helped to mitigate the problem. I think time will have to be the judge of success. We know the perch population was out of control prior to 2016 stocking of brooks and browns. We know perch populations have crashed since. I noticed lots of small perch and minnows around the lake this summer. Haven’t seen lake chub populations this high in a long time. At the same time Midnapore is a good comparison as they didn’t do what we have done and their perch population is still high and stunted.

Was out the other day with badback and filled a bucket quick. Pretty much every one between 8 and 11 inch.

If you can find a school to ice fish over and have the right hook and bait and the trout don’t scare them away there should be some fabulous perch fishing this winter.

I have a few things on the go but if I can get out ice fishing I will certainly keep a list of who I should message to come join me.

Picked up that great deal on an ice fishing tent on amazon.

I predict a number of 12 inch perch will be caught this winter.

Just hope the 9-12 brown trout target the small perch in a big way this winter.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:05 PM

Hey Kevin!

It has been a long time since I was on this forum...but I am back. I am definitely looking for a bucket of perch as fertilizer for my garden boxes next spring.

But I also wouldn't be against getting a few bigger ones for a feed. Please put me on your call list when the time comes. I will PM you my phone number as well.

Take care,
Dean

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 10-30-2020, 09:24 PM

I would also be interested in learning how to target perch. Please add me to your list for a day out this winter sometime. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
Hey Kevin!

It has been a long time since I was on this forum...but I am back. I am definitely looking for a bucket of perch as fertilizer for my garden boxes next spring.

But I also wouldn't be against getting a few bigger ones for a feed. Please put me on your call list when the time comes. I will PM you my phone number as well.

Take care,
Dean
Great. Sent you a PM
Old 10-30-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhunter View Post
I would also be interested in learning how to target perch. Please add me to your list for a day out this winter sometime. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop me a PM with your cell number. It will prob be closer to Jan when the lake opens
Old 10-30-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
Hey Kevin!

Take care,
Dean
If we hit it right we can get you 4 buckets of 8-12 inch perch. Tons of big ones these days and we need to catch them all
Old 10-31-2020, 01:42 PM

Are there any other AOF members that live in Sundance and is interested in bringing in guests? I was thinking I could provide an old Sundance fishing trophy and we can have a catching competition. The more the merrier.

I actually find more people fishing close by can increase angling success. Can turn the perch on to biting.

Here is a link to help perch fishing success.. http://www.lakesundance.org/uploads/...e_may_2019.pdf

I am hoping to see more 12 inch perch this winter.

The best hooks are hard to find in the colours I like.

Alternatively I have been tying flies for perch. What works great is a balanced hook and use a chartreuse and a fluorescent orange tungsten bead and use chartreuse thread and either flouro orange or chartreuse rabbit fur for a tail. I have some flouro or orange silly legs for added movement.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:48 PM

Kevin,

I hope you are able to get this going. Sounds like a great time and a fantastic opportunity. My son and I would be in if you can find people to let us in. My son has never actually caught a perch so that would be fantastic if it was possible. Also, thanks for sharing the link.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:48 PM

Default would it work on rockies and trout

Quote:
Are there any other AOF members that live in Sundance and is interested in bringing in guests? I was thinking I could provide an old Sundance fishing trophy and we can have a catching competition. The more the merrier.

I actually find more people fishing close by can increase angling success. Can turn the perch on to biting.

Here is a link to help perch fishing success.. http://www.lakesundance.org/uploads/...e_may_2019.pdf

I am hoping to see more 12 inch perch this winter.

The best hooks are hard to find in the colours I like.

Alternatively I have been tying flies for perch. What works great is a balanced hook and use a chartreuse and a fluorescent orange tungsten bead and use chartreuse thread and either flouro orange or chartreuse rabbit fur for a tail. I have some flouro or orange silly legs for added movement.
im in too.plus curious how your fly looks, how much to buy a couple as i also like rockies and trout
Old 11-10-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudnut View Post
Kevin,

I hope you are able to get this going. Sounds like a great time and a fantastic opportunity. My son and I would be in if you can find people to let us in. My son has never actually caught a perch so that would be fantastic if it was possible. Also, thanks for sharing the link.
I will add ya to the list. PM name and phone number.

Cheers
Old 11-10-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku88 View Post
im in too.plus curious how your fly looks, how much to buy a couple as i also like rockies and trout
Really easy to tie.

Get waxed thread in chartreuse, hot orange and hot yellow.

Get same colour rabbit fur.

Get hot orange and chartreuse tungsten beads.

Get size 8 jig hooks.

Add one of each colour bead.
Tie in your thread
Tie in your rabbit fur tail.

Tie off and cement or epoxy.

For added movement add thin silly legs.
Old 11-10-2020, 05:29 PM

Lake is now partially ice covered.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:24 AM

Only 3 inches of ice so still looking like after Christmas sometime for the lake to open for a perch bonking bonanza.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:18 PM

4-5 inches now. Thickening up but still a ways to go. Warm weather this week won’t help.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:01 PM

Hi fellow perch bonkers

We are still waiting for the lake to open. Once it does I will post. I’m getting lots of PM’s on the status. I will post once it does open.

There are thousands of 8-10 inch perch looking to find their forever fridge and frypan homes.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the update Sundancefisher, I'm looking forward to helping you accomplish this mission!!
Old 12-29-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegermiester View Post
Thanks for the update Sundancefisher, I'm looking forward to helping you accomplish this mission!!
and I am looking forward to you catching a ton!

Get your small hooks ready.

I have been tying some small perch flies that work great. The small tungsten jigs in chartreuse, bright orange and/or yellow work great.
Old 01-02-2021, 04:29 PM

Default perch

Is there a group that regularly fishes in the winter? I just lost my local resident who I fished with when they moved away after their kids got a bit older. Good to hear the numbers are down but size is up...
Old 01-03-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daslogster View Post
Is there a group that regularly fishes in the winter? I just lost my local resident who I fished with when they moved away after their kids got a bit older. Good to hear the numbers are down but size is up...
I’m sure someone can get you out slaying perch once the lake is open.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:01 AM

Lake is still closed to allow some lake star holes to heal over.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:23 AM

Spending some time tying some perch flies.

Old 01-11-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I keep fielding posts and questions on Lake Sundance. There are also other members on the forum from the community.

Lake Facts:
  • There are 9 man made lake communities with sport fishing options. Bonavista, Bonaventure, Arbour, Chaparral, Sundance, Midnapore, McKenzie, Auburn, Heritage.
  • Lake Sundance was constructed in 1980 and consists of a 33 acre (13.2 hectare) man made lake and a 22 acre (8.9 hectare) park.
  • As the lake is manmade there is no inlet or outlet stream with no chance of emigration or immigration of fishes.
  • The lake has become more eutrophic over the years with an increase in nutrients coming from both man made fertilizers from lawn run off and a
  • lso birds such as Canada Geese.
  • There is open water fishing for about 7-8 months (April –November) of the year and ice fishing for approximately 2 months (January –Feb) of the year.
  • Ice came off the lake on April 30, 2009 and April 7, 2010, April 23, 2013, April 24, 2014, March 31, 2015, March 28, 2016, April 20, 2017.
  • Lake froze over November 19, 2010, November 16, 2011, November 15, 2012, November 14, 2014, and November 26, 2016
  • Lake Sundance has an average depth of about 22 feet or 6.7 meters and has no natural inflow or outflow or natural springs.
  • Water levels are controlled and topped off yearly if required using a water well drilled in 2011 or city water. Prior to that, water was only purchased from the City of Calgary.
  • Summer activities on the lake include boating, swimming and fishing. Winter activities include skating, fishing and cross country skiing.
  • Off lake activities include skating and tobogganing in the winter and beach activities, playground activities, tennis, basketball, road hockey and picnics in the summer.
  • The volume of water in this lake would be approximately 800,000 m3 to 830,000 m3 depending upon the water level and time of year.
  • Currently we have rainbow trout as well as brown trout, brook trout and grass carp which are all currently catch and release.
  • There are illegally introduced yellow perch in the lake which have stunted due to over population. As these perch out compete our stocked trout for natural food we strongly encourage everyone to catch as many as possible. All caught perch must be killed. Brown trout and brook trout will eat small perch whereas rainbow trout will not. Grass carp feed on the aquatic plants
  • in the lake.
  • Community Facts:
  • Lake Sundance falls within the Sundance Lake Community boundary sandwiched on the west by MacLeod Trail and the east by Fish Creek Provincial Park. The north boundary is Midnapore community and the south is highway 22 X.
  • Lake Sundance sits at an elevation of 3411 ft above sea level and the coordinates at the center of the lake is approximately 50o 54 ‘ 05.74” N by 114o 02’ 2.30” W (Google Earth, 2007).

Residents can bring up to guests in to fish at a time. I and others have brought in many guests over the years. Fun times sitting on the ice bonking perch and casting in the summer for trout. Many times I personally just head out to fish...way better than watching fishing on TV. If interested...PM a local resident.

I and others will post fishing updates here as to what is happen fish wise. What is biting. What they are biting on. Hopefully other residents will also chime in with their updates.

Cheers

Sun
I know this is old but perch is one of my favorite fish to eat. How can I get hooked up (pun intended) to get fishing there ? Is ice fishing allowed?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2021, 05:00 PM

So Sundance are you going to be stocking some Tigers when they are available?
Old 01-21-2021, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
So Sundance are you going to be stocking some Tigers when they are available?
Yes. They would be good perch predators. Better than brookies I’m thinking.

Cool to have rainbows, brooks, browns and tigers...ya and perch unfortunately also.

Lake opens tomorrow for ice fishing. Got to see what the Covid rules will add to the mix.