Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2020, 06:52 PM

We are at 13 years for our Jenn-Air, still running. I've heard Bosch is good.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:56 PM

My parents build a house back in 1998, they installed a Bosch and the thing is still going.
I installed a Bosch 7 years ago in my house and still going, not one single issue.

In our last house we had a Samsung, 1 word = junk.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:07 PM

Oddly, we had a Whirlpool for ages which worked great and then upgraded to a Bosch and honestly it was the worst dishwasher ever.

You basically had to hand wash everything off of them before putting dishes in or it would time and time again come out with hardened bits of schmutz on everything. It did this from day one. I checked everything out a half dozen times and nothing seemed broken or out of place.

We now have one by a brand called "ASKO" and it works great. Always comes out sparkling clean regardless of how disgusting the dishes you put in are. Extremely quiet as well.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:16 PM

I’d go with a redhead.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:21 PM

Miele
Old 10-23-2020, 06:34 AM
Banned

Anything but GE.

Long story but 3rd dishwasher in 6 years. All warranty replacements. But when I do the next one I'll have to get a metal dishwasher mounting bar installed or replace the counter top completely.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:28 AM

ASKO has been great for us and super quiet. ASKO had the second best warranty when we were looking, at that time Kitchen aid was best I believe.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Oddly, we had a Whirlpool for ages which worked great and then upgraded to a Bosch and honestly it was the worst dishwasher ever.

You basically had to hand wash everything off of them before putting dishes in or it would time and time again come out with hardened bits of schmutz on everything. It did this from day one. I checked everything out a half dozen times and nothing seemed broken or out of place.
That's really odd. With ours, I just scrape off the solids and it washes everything really well. Actually, the manual recommends you not to rinse your dinnerware as the detergents are designed to work with the lipids to clean off the plates etc. Apparently rinsing them off before washing promotes etching etc. Could be that the pump wasn't working correctly, or the installer didn't do a proper "high loop" on the drain - that is common.

One thing I noticed about our Bosch is that some of the detergents work better than others - if we opt for the more "economical" wash tablets, my filters were always filling up with a goo which resembled Cheez-Whiz. Using the "Platinum" variety solves that, for some reason.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
ASKO has been great for us and super quiet. ASKO had the second best warranty when we were looking, at that time Kitchen aid was best I believe.
Asko is a great dishwasher with the best warranty in the industry, it comes - or at least did come as I remember from 8 years ago- with a 3 year complete warranty. The only problem with ASKO- it is so efficient that if it’s not installed perfectly, it will not wash! But it is deadly quiet!
Old 11-01-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post

We now have one by a brand called "ASKO" and it works great. Always comes out sparkling clean regardless of how disgusting the dishes you put in are. Extremely quiet as well.
Wish I had heeded the warning.
New Bosch installed on Friday
What a POS.
Had a bowl of Buttered popcorn last night.
Ran a 3/4 load on Auto setting with the included Finish Quantum tabs and there was a butter slick still inside the inverted bowl this morning.
Never seen that poor of performance in my life.
Should have known better than to buy a dishwasher with no heating element.
Hot water tank is set to highest setting and I ran the hot water into the sink to make sure it was hot before starting the Bosch.
And I have never seen such poor drying -like a rainforest inside there. Again what did I expect with no heating element.
Instant and complete remorse setting in.

I miss my Maytag and it had it's own issues

Last edited by omega50; 11-01-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:00 AM

I have a Bosch purchased in 2001. Still works fine. People I know have purchased newer models and have not been happy with the quality.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
What a POS.
Call them immediately to come back and remove the POS. No discussion, no negotiating. They may try to offer solutions to drag it out past the initial return period, don't let them.
Bosch makes some good appliances, which model did you buy? Maybe look at a model without all the "enviromentally friendly" BS scam marketing.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-01-2020, 10:50 AM

to use a car motor analogy it leaks a bit out of the top end of the motor but not the bottom end

should be good for a few more miles and smiles

thanks for asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Doesn't leak yet? You haven't had it very long eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
it is the NICEWIFE brand of machine

lifetime warranty, easy to service, comes with a permanent smile

was expensive to purchase as the machine actually did a interviewing before
it allowed me to purchase

wants small things like respect and stuff

does not leak oil water or other fluids

was a good purchase for me
Old 11-01-2020, 10:53 AM

yes what model please

BLACK FRIDAY,COMING THIS. MONTH WAITING FOR SALES AND WILL PICK MODEL SHORTLY

Quote:
What a POS.
Ran a 3/4 load on Auto setting with the included Finish Quantum tabs and there was a butter slick still inside the inverted bowl this morning.
Hot water tank is set to highest setting and I ran the hot water into the sink to make sure it was hot before starting the Bosch.
And I have never seen such poor drying -like a rainforest inside there. Again what did I expect with no heating element.

Last edited by Cement Bench; 11-01-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
Blomberg. You won’t be disappointed.
We have a Blomberg they seem pretty nice. Never heard of this brand before but the kitchen has higher end commercial appliances and stuff so figured it to be a premium brand .... so far it's done what it needs to do and does it well.

So ......recently the washer wouldn't drain (but it's 10-12+ years old) so I figured I need to replace my discharge pump (part was $40-$50 from Encompass) - and just arrived. So gotta do that I guess - but no big deal. I will try and figure it out and get that swapped out. Really not a big deal for a washer of that age.

This was my first Blomberg - but other that that every bit as good as any Miele or Bosch I've owned in terms of quality of clean and quiet running. I don't see a difference.

I should add - Bosch markets $699 washer as well as $3000 washers - that wasn't the case 15+ years ago ... I'm guessing it depends on the model, where it's made, etc... they have likely "pimped their good name out" in order to make a bunch of added revenues (while destroying their brand name's reputation).

Last edited by EZM; 11-01-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
We bought a super quiet Bosch. Not sure on model. We’ve always bought cheaper dishwashers and they simply don’t last. We finally spent good money on quality. You can’t even tell it’s running! For something we use multiple times a day I can’t believe it took me so long to run with the “buy once cry once” motto. No regrets
My Bosch dishwasher quit after 6 months. Still under warranty, had to replace motherboard. Since the fix, it’s worked good.

Entry level Bosch was in my budget
But seems like model won't change the fact that they have no heating element and rely on Condensation drying-

Bosch dishwashers use a condensation drying process that doesn’t involve a heating element. Rather, they use a final hot rinse that works with the cool stainless steel interior to promote condensation. Water then drips off dishes faster and more efficiently. A Bosch dishwasher not drying dishes sufficiently on the standard drying cycle may require stronger drying options.

We recommend starting out with the Auto Cycle setting, as it’s ideal for mixed loads with different cleaning needs. If your model dishwasher offers additional drying options, the Extra Dry function uses hotter water during the final rinse. This results in faster and more complete drying. The Sanitize function increases the time as well as the temperature of the final rinse for more complete drying that also kills bacteria.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:15 AM

We dislike our kitchenaid appliances
Old 11-01-2020, 11:26 AM

Have had a Miele Futra Classic for 2 years now, hasn't skipped a beat. Super quiet and cleaned everything we throw at it. Previous disappointments include Bosch, Asko, Kitchenaid. They all had different issues of some kind.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Entry level Bosch was in my budget
But seems like model won't change the fact that they have no heating element and rely on Condensation drying-

Bosch dishwashers use a condensation drying process that doesn’t involve a heating element. Rather, they use a final hot rinse that works with the cool stainless steel interior to promote condensation. Water then drips off dishes faster and more efficiently. A Bosch dishwasher not drying dishes sufficiently on the standard drying cycle may require stronger drying options.

We recommend starting out with the Auto Cycle setting, as it’s ideal for mixed loads with different cleaning needs. If your model dishwasher offers additional drying options, the Extra Dry function uses hotter water during the final rinse. This results in faster and more complete drying. The Sanitize function increases the time as well as the temperature of the final rinse for more complete drying that also kills bacteria.
If the dishwasher does not have an internal heating element, how exactly are they accomplishing this hotter water final rinse? It would be a miracle of thermodynamics. The inventor of such a device would be a definite shoe-in for a Nobel Prize.
Is the word "Quantum" anywhere in the name of this model?

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-01-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
If the dishwasher does not have an internal heating element, how exactly are they accomplishing this hotter water final rinse? It would be a miracle of thermodynamics. The inventor of such a device would be a definite shoe-in for a Nobel Prize.
Is the word "Quantum" anywhere in the name of this model?
Internally there is a flow thru heating system for wash/rinse only, but no traditional coil element inside the cavity to dry the dishes.
And with 138F at my tap and their miracle internal heating system It still could not clean butter off a bowl with both extra dry and sanitize enabled.
So to clarify no traditional element in the wash cavity.

Instead of a heating element for drying they use water

Nobel prize indeed

Last edited by omega50; 11-01-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:28 PM

Smile Too late to edit previous post

OK, the inline heater explains their claims of using hotter water for the rinse cycle. What it doesn't explain is why it doesn't clean your dishes, or why they come out dripping wet.
I'll guess- heater is too small/inefficient, undersized pump/not enough pressure coupled with poor spray pattern/venturi design.
Send it back, get a different model. Sending it back is easy, getting a different model is understandably subject to budget constraints.

FTR- We always turn off the drying cycle on the old Kenmore; our water heater is set at the optimum setting on the dial, and our dishes always come out dry, other than the little bit of water pooled on top of the coffee cups.

Old 11-01-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
What a POS.

Something is wrong there. My Bosch has been rock solid for five years. It does have a heating element, just does it a different way. You can’t hold the hot dishes on mine right after the cycle ends. Hope it gets fixed fast. Mmmm buttered popcorn...
Old 11-01-2020, 04:29 PM

https://www.reviewed.com/dishwashers...her-dry-dishes

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-01-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
Have had a Miele Futra Classic for 2 years now, hasn't skipped a beat. Super quiet and cleaned everything we throw at it. Previous disappointments include Bosch, Asko, Kitchenaid. They all had different issues of some kind.
The simplest. plainest, no frills Miele is what I will be buying when my Bosch craps out. I’m not a big fan of the racks though.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:38 AM

Our Jenn air lasted 10 years. Had to replace the control module twice. The parts guy explained that was quite common with the top mounted controls as they were subjected to more steam as it was recessed under the countertop. Had to replace various plastic parts from the tray assemblies. Could have almost bought a new one with the cost of parts alone. Bought a new Miele with front controls to replace it as the control module was shot again. So far, so good.

My wife did like how well the Jenn air cleaned and how quiet it was.