Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2017, 09:16 PM

Default When did hunting become so elitist.

So I rarely post or comment but this has just stuck with me, I'm not going to list a date or time or area because never know if that person is on here to. Any ways let's get to it.
I love hunting, I'm out probably 3/4 of the year hunting, if it isn't big game it's rabbits and other small game ( yes I eat everything thing ) now the thing that has stuck in my craw so badly is while I get hunt almost every day I plan one big trip a year were I go out for about 2 weeks solo, I dream of this trip all year, so this year I pack up everything and head out with my new rifle ( will bring that up again ) and I head to the mountains to a spot I go every year. Finally after a 5 hr or so drive I get there and I do my thing of have a coffee and light my pipe and take it all in, free at last from wife and kids doesn't even matter if I get any thing, just the peace of being in the mountains slowly fills me up. After a few minutes a truck pulls in same parking area. And out jump these three guys that look like they should be on a seal team and they start gearing up glancing at me now and then I wave back say hi ask what there out for , and bla bla bla, they chat back, my coffee is finished and I grab my pack out the back. At this point I get a funny glance. My pack is a beat to hell old ilbe pack. ( Army surplus pack ) thing is awesome and only cost me like $120 compared to there kuki ( think how u spell it ) pack it looked like crap I look over and they have these beautiful rifles tika lights I think with stainless steel barrels, totally awesome I'd been looking at those online, any ways I put on my clothing a good pair of earth tone pants a earth tone long sleeve shirt and my camo jacket, ( Walmart mossy oak) so faded you can barely make out the pattern every thing sort of blends together . Personally I like it like that, it blends in well almost every were. Now at this point these guys have mostly stopped unloading and are looking at me. I act like I don't notice but the looks I'm getting are like I stepped in something and I have a bad smell coming off me, then I uncase my new rifle "" get ready for it "" my sks and the looks I got were like what I stepped in I must also have bathed in and I stunk, cause those boys packed up there gear and drove off with out a word. But there looks said it all. Now I know a sks isn't the best rifle, but a week before that I used it to drop a elk ( might gone 20yrds and fell ) and also in same week a black bear that was bothering the cows on my family's ranch. So I don't really care what anyone one says I think it a good rifle and it works, and I wouldn't use it over 200 yrds any ways , it's a good bush gun. Any ways when did hunting become so elitist that you need have shinny new gear and nice rifles to be able to hunt , the whole experience sort of soured my trip I'm not sure why, iv never had that happen before, but I've heard of it from other people and has happened to my brother also.
We are all hunters we all love the out doors and we should all share a common bond. Placeing importance on gear and looks is bad for the community as a whole.
And to judge some one on there looks and gear is wrong , there might be a story as to why and might even be a good one. My self iv had better times I've owned beautiful rifles and gear but life, injurys,having kids, living on disability takes a toll and iv sold all my nice rifles, to cover life costs .now I own a little cooey for my small game needs and yes my sks for bigger game and a little single shot shotgun for bird etc,
And I think alot of the younger guys need to talk to there grandfather's and even fathers of the gear they used to use , you don't need a $1000 plus outfit and $1000+ rifle to hunt, sometimes jeans and a faded out jacket and a beat to hell rifle will fill your fridge just fine.
Ok I think I'm done ranting , I did have a point In all of this, we are a community one that is slowly having our rights taken and places we can hunt shrunk we should all stick together not judge each other but embrace one another.
P.s
If some how the fellas that did give me the dirty looks figgered out this is from that guy please don't take this rant as any thing against you, just maybe take it as a learning experience that other ppl have feelings and story, mine is a perty good one, iv had a interesting life, and hey maybe next year if we bump into each other we can share a story and a coffee , I make a good coffee even have extra cups just in case .
Old 10-14-2017, 10:17 PM

Haha! Sounds like you dress a lot like me.

Hope you enjoy your hunt! That’s what it’s all about.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:30 PM

Honestly, I doubt they even actually noticed. %99 of the times I've heard of this, it's all in the head of the person being judged.

The sks may have thrown em off, but I'd blame that on the large number of jabroni's out there who would assume that cheap surplus ammo (fmj) is good to go hunting with. That's not being a snob, that's you unfortunately being guilty by association.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:33 PM

Don't worry. The last buck I shot, I snuck up on him wearing my work coveralls with the reflective striping on them.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 10-14-2017, 10:36 PM

Sounds like you told yourself a story. Everything in your narrative is about how YOU interpreted a look that may or may not have been conveying a message.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-14-2017, 10:38 PM

You shouldn't have put the bayonet on in front of them.

Just joking.

Seriously man, why even worry bout what others think?

You shoulda offered them some claymores....
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-14-2017, 10:46 PM

I feel ya. Don't worry about what others think. People have really become so materialistic. I just wear my normal clothes and do pretty good for myself. Jeans and a jacket. I don't think the deer I've got cared. Or cared about what gun I shot them with lol. I also think kuiu gear doesn't even match most terrain but I've also noticed that as long as your sitting still they don't ever notice you anyway. Just be you! And have a good season sir.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
X2 To be honest, I get an immediate impression of the type of hunters that the op described. I think that it's because of seeing so many non-residents on their first moose hunt in Canada back in ON. I wonder what they thought of my Lee Enfield?
Old 10-14-2017, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
You shouldn't have put the bayonet on in front of them.

Just joking.

You shoulda offered them some claymores....
yes!
Old 10-14-2017, 11:13 PM

Sounds like your uncomfortable with your life storey for it to bather you . So what they gave you a look. You let it get to you. I’ve been there all the time . Don’t let these things get to you . Enjoy your hunt
Old 10-14-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell78 View Post
Don't worry. The last buck I shot, I snuck up on him wearing my work coveralls with the reflective striping on them.
Hahaha been there!!!
Old 10-14-2017, 11:42 PM

Whatever tools you use for your hunting should be no ones business,if your content with what you own than you are better off those who have it all that are unhappy with the best money can buy ,but yet are very unhappy people.

Have a puff on your pipe,enjoy your coffee and the view,load up head first into the wind and you will be the only one who knows if your truly happy .

Some of the most powerful and wealthy men have begged for mercy harder than the poorest man on earth.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:55 PM

This is my interpretation of the other guys thoughts.

So we were just pulling up to our spot and there was a truck parked there already and we thought oh great another hunter.

However when we pulled up he just seemed to be sitting there drinking coffee and didn't seem to be a hunter.

As we got ready he pulled out a pack and we hoped just a hiker but then he pulled a rifle out. We figured we'd leave the spot to him since he was there first and went to our plan B spot.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post

So we were just pulling up to our spot and there was a truck parked there already and we thought oh great another hunter.

However when we pulled up he just seemed to be sitting there drinking coffee and didn't seem to be a hunter.

As we got ready he pulled out a pack and we hoped just a hiker but then he pulled a rifle out. We figured we'd leave the spot to him since he was there first and went to our plan B spot.
Good point!
Old 10-15-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post

This^^^
Old 10-15-2017, 12:05 AM

I'm going to have to get myself some old wore out clothing and an old sks if that is all it takes to get guys to pack up and leave my hunting area.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
I'm going to have to get myself some old wore out clothing and an old sks if that is all it takes to get guys to pack up and leave my hunting area.
Ya no kidding.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:30 AM
Banned

To the OP - The SKS was possibly the issue, it's associated with new-shooters and/or guys who "think" they know how to handle a firearm...

And in all likelyhood, once they saw you unpacking a rifle (regardless what it was), maybe they didn't want to interupt you hunt by just barging in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post

If you start emptying stripper-clips full of ammo in rapid succession... It surely will.

That's happened to me once already this season. Guys started target shooting not even a KM away (Lord knows which direction) while I'm sitting in my blind.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:47 AM

Default wow

Go see a doctor
Old 10-15-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
To the OP - The SKS was possibly the issue, it's associated with new-shooters and/or guys who "think" they know how to handle a firearm...

And in all likelyhood, once they saw you unpacking a rifle (regardless what it was), maybe they didn't want to interupt you hunt by just barging in.

If you start emptying stripper-clips full of ammo in rapid succession... It surely will.

That's happened to me once already this season. Guys started target shooting not even a KM away (Lord knows which direction) while I'm sitting in my blind.

Ya, the SKS, or other tactical type rifles can sometimes spell ban news. Lord knows I've sat next to some dude at the range that sprays bullets all over the 50 yard backstop with some Mill-Surp semi auto. Its not that they are cheap but that I tend to associate that type of rifle with a certain type of crowd that I'd rather steer clear of.

I think that those guys were probably just trying to figure out whether you were hunting in fact.

I also think just about every activity I enjoy has gotten more elitist over the years. It used to be about the activity, now it seems like all the cool kids are all about the gear. If you don't have expensive gear you are perceived as a beginner or a dabbler, you couldn't possibly be avid, serious, or competent in that camo pattern.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Talking

Well sounds like therapy time...so here it is...be yourself, hunt legally and enjoy the outdoors...now that will cost you $250.00!
I will PM you for billing.....

Man I luv this therapy stuff! Easy money.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-15-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Sounds like you told yourself a story. Everything in your narrative is about how YOU interpreted a look that may or may not have been conveying a message.
X2. They pulled up, said nothing to you, and decided to go somewhere else as they didnt want to disturb your hunt when you got there first. Take a chill pill snowflake. Your big long story of 'being judged' is all in your head.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
Honestly, I doubt they even actually noticed. %99 of the times I've heard of this, it's all in the head of the person being judged.

The sks may have thrown em off, but I'd blame that on the large number of jabroni's out there who would assume that cheap surplus ammo (fmj) is good to go hunting with. That's not being a snob, that's you unfortunately being guilty by association.
And while many people use their SKS in a responsible manner, there are many that spray the buffers and target frames with bullets at the local range, and that do stupid and dangerous things like skipping bullets off of the water at the local pheasant release site to have created a negative impression of the SKS, and the people that use them. I myself cringe when I see a group of shooters arrive at the range , and then get out and unload their SKS rifles and a wooden crate of steel core surplus ammunition..Then I end up pointing to the sign, and explaining that they can't use their steel core ammunition on our range. And often the result is them swearing or whining about not being able to use their surplus ammunition. So yes, many people are not enthused to see an SKS at the range or in the field, because of the image created by some SKS owners.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:20 AM

The type of rifle or the type of any other gear a person uses has nothing to do with how they act .
I have met good people and real morons on both sides of the fence, and that hasn't changed in the 50+ years I have been hunting
Cat
Old 10-15-2017, 08:47 AM

First, whether it was the elitist attitude, or the respect for another hunter who was there first, the important thing is that they left so you could enjoy your hunt without interruptions. See below.
Second, whether real or perceived, you set to much value on the opinion of strangers. Repeat after Sean Connery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg best people.jpg (60.7 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg value opinion.jpg (31.8 KB, 159 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-15-2017, 09:00 AM

If I hunted as often as you claim, I sure as hell wouldn't handicap myself with an SKS- and that does not make me elitist. FWIW I have a couple and I like them for plinking.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
First, whether it was the elitist attitude, or the respect for another hunter who was there first, the important thing is that they left so you could enjoy your hunt without interruptions. See below.
Second, whether real or perceived, you set to much value on the opinion of strangers. Repeat after Sean Connery.
X2... Who gives a rats azz what others think
Old 10-15-2017, 09:26 AM

Enjoyed the read, been there too. I noticed but don't let it bother me if hunt tards have there $1000 suit, I'm the guy calling back to them from the river bank at elk season, if u can see me so can critters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2017, 09:33 AM

When did all hunters become so judgemental?...wow both sides of the argument just want to argue.

Oh never mind, this is AO...it's what happens here

LC
Old 10-15-2017, 09:36 AM

They respectfully left a spot you were in first. Sounds like we could use some more of these "elitist" type hunters in the hunting community.