Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-20-2013, 06:13 PM

Default Brookies!

so before the flood yesterday I was able to get out on a local creek. Now normally this creek puts out 6 inch rainbows and I like to fish solely dry flies. However, it was raining yesterday so i decided to try swinging streamers. I thought maybe I'd catch some brookies with a mickey finn. So I caught 2, 10 and 12". No rainbows.... I was a little surprised because I fish the creek often and rarely get any decent brookies!

I guess they just love the finn and don't take dries...

So what's your favorite technique for stream brookies?

PS the 12" brookie on a 2wt was a blast!

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 06-20-2013, 06:57 PM

I've never had luck with a finn...but I really like to use muddlers for stream brookies. Dries make for a lot of fun, too -- I had great luck last weekend, for example, with a Royal Wulff pattern. I don't expect dries will be much use this weekend, though...in fact, I expect it will probably be best to stay clear of the streams, this weekend.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 06-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Banned

good job flie
hows the waters today?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:00 PM

I have caught brookies on dries, but I always have better luck with a streamer, especially a bright one with red or orange.

A while ago a decided to spin fish one evening and tied on a gold and orange panther martin. friggin killed the brookies!

I might go try to drag a mickey finn or other streamer through elbow lake behind my float tube this summer... just need some fins!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:17 PM
Banned

Hands down my goto,all-time #1 brookie slayers are lowly ol' Woolybuggers,black,olive,and brown in that order,with or without beadheads......sometimes two at a time,ie;a black beadhead with an olive unweighted trailer.Back east I'd conservatively guesstimate that I caught at least a few thousand brookies on buggers alone.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGiant View Post
good job flie
hows the waters today?
I'm less than 10km from bragg creek where they evacuated everyone, waters in this area currently running between 500-2000% of normal capacity depending on the creek and the time. just a guesstimate. washing over roads and wreckin stuff. I'm on top of a hill and our power has been hit and miss.

won't be wetting a line in any local creeks for a while.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
I'm less than 10km from bragg creek where they evacuated everyone, waters in this area currently running between 500-2000% of normal capacity depending on the creek and the time. just a guesstimate. washing over roads and wreckin stuff. I'm on top of a hill and our power has been hit and miss.

won't be wetting a line in any local creeks for a while.
Well you and your place are safe and sound....thats the important thing
Old 06-20-2013, 09:40 PM

got a buddy in high river I haven't heard from, lots of friends in okotoks, I was actually one of the last they let drive down railway avenue, stranded friend in millarville but his house is dry and his generator is running.

there's definitely some crazy sh*t going down out there... that picture of a bunch of people getting rescued by a combine in high river is getting pretty famous