Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-16-2013, 01:28 AM

Default Highwood River

I decided to buy map a few days ago and spend all saturday afternoon figuring out access to the highwood river.

I found one spot near Natures Hideaway however i saw a sign stating that all land areas south of the bow river is private property....

I was stumped although the trail was about 10 feet way from the river, there was no fence, but on the fenced acreage to the left there was that sign.

I am trying to find access points to the highwood river, and failed.. It seems as though this river is surrounded by property.

There was a 1 way bridge as well if you keep going south it crosses the river but it is also surrounded by private property...

Does anyone know any access points for fishing that is legal to the highwood river?

I dont want to do anything illegal nor do i want to be crossing anyones property as that is just not right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-16-2013, 07:02 AM

There is access to the Highwood at Natures Hideaway. Follow the road right to the end and yes you can walk to the river at the end of the road. If you stay in the river and wade downstream you will hit the Bow river ( about 500 M.). Make sure you stay in the water. I have heard there have been some problems between land owners and fishermen! You can also wade upstream in the water. Make sure you exit at the same palce you enter!

Think if you go to the office at Natures Hideaway they will be glad to, "take a few dollars" for a "day type picnic pass", that entitles you to river access from "their land."

If I may say, please be respectful of land owners. Don't leave garbage behind and leave all things as you find them. Good luck!

One other thing, this time of year the rivers are usually very high, fast and dirty. For safety sake, you may want to wait 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
There is access to the Highwood at Natures Hideaway. Follow the road right to the end and yes you can walk to the river at the end of the road. If you stay in the river and wade downstream you will hit the Bow river ( about 500 M.). Make sure you stay in the water. I have heard there have been some problems between land owners and fishermen! You can also wade upstream in the water. Make sure you exit at the same palce you enter!

Think if you go to the office at Natures Hideaway they will be glad to, "take a few dollars" for a "day type picnic pass", that entitles you to river access from "their land."

If I may say, please be respectful of land owners. Don't leave garbage behind and leave all things as you find them. Good luck!

One other thing, this time of year the rivers are usually very high, fast and dirty. For safety sake, you may want to wait 2 or 3 weeks.
Thanks Zabbo for your info. I think its probably best to just get a "day pass" kind of thing at the Natures Hideaway like you mentioned.

I will take your advice about 2 or 3 weeks for safety.

Thanks a lot for your advice!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Banned

Drive further into the canyon parts and you will see little road side parking spots.
Just explore the roadway a little more and you'll find some nice spots.