Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-09-2013, 11:48 PM

Default Bow River Upper Calgary vs Lower Calgary

I have been looking for spots to fish near Calgary, at this point i have been doing lots of lake fishing however i want to start fishing the bow river.

I did some research and it seems that the bow has good fishing below calgary. Is this true? I have found that getting access to the bow north of calgary can be tough and lots of walking.

A lot of times I seem to look at google maps for areas around the bow with smaller creeks or streams, however some of these streams seems to be going through someones ranch or property.

Some of these locations dont have any fishing information, thus i dont know if it is allowed or not.

I am not looking for anyones fishing holes, however it would be nice to know if there is a book that shows locations for legal fishing streams or rivers.

Any help is appreciated! I am new to fly fishing and hooked a little rainbow in chain lakes, however I really want to fish rivers and get my waders some use!
Old 06-10-2013, 05:51 AM

if your looking to catch alot of fish, then anywhere south of 17th ave(blackfoot trail ) is very good fishing, the further north and west you go the number of fish drop alot.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:11 AM

Lots of places to access in south Calgary like 17th ave, Glenmore (Graves Landing), Southland dog park, Fish creek. River is pretty blown out right now though.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kako View Post

I am not looking for anyones fishing holes, however it would be nice to know if there is a book that shows locations for legal fishing streams or rivers.
yes it's called the regulations
Old 06-11-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat111 View Post
if your looking to catch alot of fish, then anywhere south of 17th ave(blackfoot trail ) is very good fishing, the further north and west you go the number of fish drop alot.
Thanks for the info!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitefishLady View Post
Lots of places to access in south Calgary like 17th ave, Glenmore (Graves Landing), Southland dog park, Fish creek. River is pretty blown out right now though.
I bought a map to help me get better access to the southern part of the bow and highwood river <-- I know this opens up on the 16th.

I saw the river looks blown out i may want to start fishing in rivers with a lot less water. The bow does look intimidating. In addition i want to get to use my waders!

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:17 PM

The Upper Bow River in the City os fishing well right now despite the high water. A number of Brown Trout btween 18-24" have been caught but the access is difficult and makes for a long day on the river. Streamers have been doign well. Just FYI
Old 06-19-2013, 07:06 PM

Try accessing the Bow near Fishcreek Park/Sicome lake, i.e Bankside picnic area etc.