Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Banned

Default Bamboo fly rod discussion

Seems my golf bag is getting more full of sticks (fly rods)

Next on the list is probably bamboo.

Any insights or personal reviews are appreciated here.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:41 PM

http://bamboorods.ca/

Talk to Don who is quite active on this board. I would love to be able to fish one of his rods one day

Peter McVey from Corbett Lake Lodge built a nice rod as well but I am not sure if he is still involved with the craft. It as been a long time since I have been out there

Of course you have the rods from Scott, Winston, Sweet Water, Thomas and Thomas and many more.

Personally I would something in the 7' either a 5wt or 4wt. I would like to use it for the smaller streams to I fish and maybe for dry fly fishing on the Bow
Old 04-22-2013, 08:09 AM

I fish Bamboo quite a bit, along with kritofr's excellent post buy a quality rod from a maker like Don. Trying to use a vintage no name junker rod will be less successful than a willow pole, it takes research to find out what is a quality product. Once you have a nice product it will be a pure joy to use.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Banned

Glad you stated that Lornce cause my first step was gonna be to buy a $100 cane rod on ebay first to try em out.

What reels or line would you guys recommend?
A nice classic Hardy me thinks and possibly using silk line for extra nostalgia.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 PM

Buying a junker rod won't turn you onto bamboo. A good rod is essential so you don't end up with a tomato stick... And don't give up too quickly on it either: it took me a couple days to get used to the different casting stroke (for me, it turned out to be a bit longer and smoother, with a much slower acceleration stroke) of bamboo vs. graphite. Even moderate-action graphite vs. quick bamboo is noticeable.

Because of the weight of a bamboo rod, the rod does much of the work that you used to do with graphite, as the weight of the rod itself helps the rod flex and load. Hence the fact that you can get away with a slower stroke.

Lastly, in my limited bamboo casting experience (I've cast only 3 or 4, though they were good rods), I like a relatively consistent taper. I don't generally care for a rod that has too much of a "parabolic" action. My personal favourite (again, from the few I've cast) is the Dickerson 8013 taper, which would generally be described as "quicker" or "dry fly action." This would be an 8' rod for a 4, 5, or 6 line (generally it's accepted as a #5). But understand, this rod would probably be like a moderate action graphite. Mine is a two piece, blank made by the now retired Northwest maker Mark Ruhe. (May be the wrong spelling of his last name...). Rod was redone by someone else.

The good news about bamboo is that even if you buy a good rod for around a thousand bucks, you could still expect to get all (or sometimes more) back if you end up not liking bamboo rods. Just something to consider.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Banned

Thanks browntrout.

Any and all info is much appreciated.
I hate jumping to top of the line products from the get go....but it seems to be the concensus that one should not go cheap when using a cane rod?

PS.....And before I get more pm's or reply's to contact Don Anderson....I must say this....I am already having conversations w/ him behind the scenes
But as I said....All advice will be noticed and appreciated.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:35 PM

Once you get all your info from Don double check it with Dave Jensen
Old 04-22-2013, 07:32 PM

Mtng..

Top of the line bamboo rods generally cost $ 3,000>4500 -mid range 1,000>2,000, mid range used trade rods are whatever. Used Rods like Orvis and Hardy can be found about $500.
Real cheap crap can be found on Ebay. Expect to pay about $200 for the rod and another $200>500 to get it fish able.
Lower price Chinese rods are available. You get what you paid for.

To suggest that casting a single bamboo rod determines whether or not they are for you is kinda like driving a Lada and figure that a BMW is the same.

Regards,

Don
Old 04-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Banned

Thanks Don.

Im looking forward to my new venture into cane rods and Im sure your input will be a large factor in my decision.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Banned

Can some of you weigh in on "silk" fly lines?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:28 PM

BTW,

Codella.com is a good place to check out used rods. http://www.codella.com/binventory.htm
Old 04-22-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Can some of you weigh in on "silk" fly lines?
Basicly...
Most of the time I use regular fly lines matched to the rod, the rod doesn't care. I grew up using Bamboo and silk, I have a few silk lines that I use by a number of different makers, Phoenix, Hardy etc. Silk line require maintenance between fishing trips greasing and polishing the line to make them float again. The cool thing is unlike standard lines that float, silk actually sits on the surface tension. a bit different but nice when you are picking up a dry fly.

Don't grease a line and you have a sinking line. I find silk great for exacting dry fly work. I have bamboo rods and silk lines that have fished through 3 generations and now a 4th with my kids.

But the line does require care, not exactly the kind of rod and line combination that is popular with our throw away society that demands instant gratification today.

Fishing Regulations
Old 04-22-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown trout View Post
BTW,

Codella.com is a good place to check out used rods. http://www.codella.com/binventory.htm
Again unless you know what you are buying for the fishing you do, it can be a crap shoot, do your research. You could buy just a wall hanger. Buying online is always risky. Grampa's Bamboo fly rod might make great kindling but nothing more.

Fishing Regulations
Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Banned

More great info Lornce and thanks.

Here's another question...

Is it ok to use a bamboo rod on the Bow River?

With the high content of pollutants (especially saline levels) is a bamboo rod and silk line safe from damage?

I know from experience that my modern fly line almost desintegrated after a few mnths of use on the Bow....I was told later that the line should be cleaned w/ mild soapy water after a few days of fishing.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:

With the high content of pollutants (especially saline levels) is a bamboo rod and silk line safe from damage?

I know from experience that my modern fly line almost desintegrated after a few mnths of use on the Bow....I was told later that the line should be cleaned w/ mild soapy water after a few days of fishing.
Never herd of a line disintegration on the bow. And a few of my pals do nothing about cleaning their gear. Yes cleaning is a great idea to extend the life but you're not fishing in acid. Otherwise there would be no fish there. I would look at other causes for the breakdown such as heat. Bamboo and silk has come through 2 world wars (some GI's toted their rods) and have outlasted generations. I fish mine in the bow often. Lots of myths out there about Bamboo.

Fishing Regulations
Old 04-23-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Again unless you know what you are buying for the fishing you do, it can be a crap shoot, do your research. You could buy just a wall hanger. Buying online is always risky. Grampa's Bamboo fly rod might make great kindling but nothing more.
Lornce, of course you could end up with a tomato stick by buying randomly. I simply meant that once he decides which rod to buy, even if he had the chance to cast a few owned by others but who don't intend on selling, you may find one there. That's all.

Checked out your blog yesterday, BTW. Nice.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:02 PM

can anyone tell me if I should use my grandpas sharpes Scottie rod it is in mint shape but I have no idea what weight it is as those indications are long gone. I would really like some info on the rod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (54.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 04-23-2013, 05:59 PM

Smile Silk line

With a bamboo rod and silk line you are making this hard on yourself. It was Scientific anglers floating lines that helped the popularity of fly fishing. As you fish during the day the tip will start to sink even with treatment, and if you don't stop and re apply floatant, you will be very disappointed in how you pick up your dry fly.

Pick a reel that gives your rod a nice balance.

Floating fly line is right up there with elk hair flys, they never sink!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Banned

Thanks bro for the input....all will be filed.

But I must say at this point so far...I have fully decided to for a good quality cane rod w/ a classic style reel and silk line... (Just dont know what weight I want yet).
I'm making it a full nostalgia setup....and when Im too ill to fish in my older age.....I'll make a religious shrine out of it LOL

PS....I dont mind sitting by the mtn river and sitting down to relax and re-polish my line while enjoying the wilderness that surrounds me.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown trout View Post
Lornce, of course you could end up with a tomato stick by buying randomly. I simply meant that once he decides which rod to buy, even if he had the chance to cast a few owned by others but who don't intend on selling, you may find one there. That's all.

Checked out your blog yesterday, BTW. Nice.
Sorry, it may have have sounded trite, and had not meant it to just that lately I've talked to quite a few people burned by buying Tomato stakes. Its a good link.

Fishing Regulations
Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Floating fly line is right up there with elk hair flys, they never sink!
Have had a few floating fly lines start to sink at the tip as water gets into the tip over time.

Fishing Regulations
Old 04-23-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
can anyone tell me if I should use my grandpas sharpes Scottie rod it is in mint shape but I have no idea what weight it is as those indications are long gone. I would really like some info on the rod.
rycoma, it's best if you have someone inspect the rod for soundness. There could be separations, fractures or other physical anomalies that may lead to damage. Often, there are repair overwraps that indicate past issues with the rod. That Sharpes may not be all that old and many i have seen where very fishable and would certainly last many more years. The rod just may need a good overcoat of fresh varnish.

Historically, few makers indicated line weights on most rods, but some like Heddon did ink line weight on the shaft.

As for the line weight, let me know the markings and the length of the rod and I may be able to give you an idea of what weight to start with. It would also be helpful to know the size of the ferrule used (in 64's of an inch).
Old 04-23-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:

I also use my cane rods on the Bow. Perfectly safe as most are varnished with marine grade spar or urethane just like the wood on yachts so not to worry. Others impregnated the bamboo with water resistent varnish-like solutions instead of overcoating with varnish.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:58 AM

Bow River Bamboo

Fishing Regulations
Old 04-24-2013, 05:04 PM

Ronbill

The only markings on the rod say J.S. Sharpes Scottie. There is engraving on the real seat same name Aberdeen England 312 12. as well the rod sock says the same. The rod from handle to long tip 7'6" short tip 7' I'm hoping its a four weight
Old 04-24-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Ronbill

The only markings on the rod say J.S. Sharpes Scottie. There is engraving on the real seat same name Aberdeen England 312 12. as well the rod sock says the same. The rod from handle to long tip 7'6" short tip 7' I'm hoping its a four weight
Start with a 5 or 6 wt line and move from there. Bamboo is very forgiving of line weights. Slow down you cast and let the rod do the work.

Fishing Regulations
Old 04-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Banned

Default Another question

What makes a cane rod bent out of straight shape... and how can it be avoided?

Does it have to do w/ the quality and craftsmanship... or care of the rod and how its used and stored?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 PM

Mt..

Cane rods develop "sets" from poor landing techniques, tree root landing, poor storage, miss use and abuse.

Don
Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Ronbill

I would try a 5wt line, but as lornce suggested there is a chance it may be a 6wt. I had one last year and was surprised at the action.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Banned

What are the differances in the tapers of cane rods?

There seems to be many differant ones.