Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 02:03 PM

Default Late October Moose Tips

Hey all,

I have been hunting moose for the past 15 years, and just realized that every single time I have been moose hunting, or harvested a bull for that matter, has been smack dab in the middle of the rut! Due to work/life getting in the way of being able to hunt mid rut for the first time in 15 years... I'm reaching out to you fellow AO'ers for tips. I'm hunting up north around October 20th onward, from a jet boat. I'm as far as getting up river and finding a nice moose looking spot, sitting and cow calling like usual. That is about as far as I have gotten tactics wise... Any other ideas if nothing decides to answer or there isn't much moving?
Old 10-16-2017, 02:16 PM

I would get on I Hunter and look for some cut blocks off the river where you can walk to and check out some feeding areas

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2017, 02:17 PM

When I used to guide for River hunts we always found it better once the Ponds started freezing moose would come to the rivers to drink

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2017, 02:20 PM

my only moose hunting advise is to shoot it as close to the truck as possible.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:23 PM

From my experience calling is still effective, just don't be as aggressive, most likely your bull will come in quiet, we have called bulls in as late as the 20th of November. Good luck
Old 10-16-2017, 03:42 PM

hunt the willows and any old green grass. they like to lay in the sun just inside the tree line during the day. Glass and Glass and Glass some more. They don't go far after the rut as they spent a lot of energy keeping their cows and fighting off other bulls.

Gordon
Old 10-17-2017, 08:46 AM

Best technique for moose late October/November with snow on ground is tracking/still hunting. Just kick him out of his day bed and chootum. Watch the wind!
Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Best technique for moose late October/November with snow on ground is tracking/still hunting. Just kick him out of his day bed and chootum. Watch the wind!
Yep, check out my thread about my Wife's moose. I've taken a number of moose that way when I miss the rut or strike out on calling one in. The nice thing about tracking a late season moose is you can always bet he's bedded, so if the track is fresh take your time, he's probably close. Without snow its harder, still hunting prime feeding areas is your best bet.

I've always found hills and knolls to hold favored late season browse, but I am usually off the river by this time. The one time I was still on the river in late Oct I was finding moose in thick willow bottoms and old oxbows. Probably depends on what the terrain is like around the river.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbuss View Post
hunt the willows and any old green grass. they like to lay in the sun just inside the tree line during the day. Glass and Glass and Glass some more. They don't go far after the rut as they spent a lot of energy keeping their cows and fighting off other bulls.
This is how I would do it. I've had success with spot and stalk on moose because they are easier to see and sneak up on than deer. They are picky eaters too so it's easier to focus your hunt.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:56 AM

Forgot to mention, besides the wind, try to circle "S" curve the trail to improve your wind direction, moose always bed down and watch their back trail, so try to approach from different direction.