Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 PM

Default Raft vs. Drift Boat

If you had the choice of one which would it be, and why.
I am looking into getting something to fish the rivers in southern Alberta.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:26 PM

Had both at one time or another, drift boat all the way!!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefoe View Post
Had both at one time or another, drift boat all the way!!
Why?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 PM

A raft with a rowing frame is not as easy to row as a drift boat (doesn't track as well and takes more effort to manouver), not as easy to stand up and cast (even with a casting platform) and will get tossed around easily in the wind (not sure there is a big difference compared to a high side driftboat). Stores easier as you can just deflate & roll and break down the frame. Obviously a raft is better in class III rapids and greater (with an experienced operator) as that's a raft's primary purpose. Drift Boat is specific to fishing, raft is not, but does the job "OK". That being said, if I was given one or found one at a decent price I would probaly get it! Best to consider a quality manufacture (Aire) as opposed to a cheapo (Saturn). Materials and care will influence longevity. A good quality raft used specifically for fishing that is well taken care of can last up to 15 years (A raft used for White Water rafting, not as long - Commercial operators rotate their rafts every few years - after numerous repairs).Consider something at least 12'!

A fishing buddy has access to one and we take it out quite often, I have also been a WW rafting guide in Idaho.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 PM

If you want to do Southern Alberta Rivers get a high quality raft. Most of the rivers need a raft, you wont be able to use a drift on much at all. If all you fish is the Bow get a drift boat. Rafts are a far better choice for anything else other than slow and lazy rivers like the Bow.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 PM

wow..$799 plus $60 for shipping...no bad at all...three seats and 14' long

http://www.saturnrafts.com/14-saturn-cataraft.html

Are this raft bad quality?? Saturn
Old 06-19-2013, 10:23 PM

don`t forget you need to buy a 1k$ frame togo with it. . . . . . . .
Old 06-20-2013, 12:37 AM

I have rowed drift boats for 5+ years and rafts for 8+
worked as a white water raft guide for a few
now a drift boat is nice it has all the luxuries and is great on bigger rivers such as the bow
a good raft is much better on the skinny water -most rivers in alberta ! a quality raft is now the only way I will go
I own a Air super puma it has a solid eva foam core floor and a nice fishing frame and is just as easy to stand in as a drift boat .
I run my raft on the bow lots but I also float a lot of rivers you never would with a drift boat
I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 13ft and if you do some looking around
you can get into a raft much cheaper than a drift boat and you can find a fishing frame for it for less than $1000
storage in a raft can be done with dry boxes and dry bags
seen a few for sale on kijiji from time to time
you also wanna make sure if you get one that its a self bailing raft

the Saturn rafts are junk you would be lucky to get 4 years out of one
Air rafts are top notch
http://www.aire.com/aire/
nrs makes a good boat
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=1129
zebec also builds a good raft and there are local dealers
if you don't mind traveling to the states you can find good deals hear
where I picked mine up from
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/swap/showcat.php?cat=3
feel free to pm me if you want to know more about them
I have had a few now
personally I would go with a 14 ft min
Old 06-20-2013, 08:02 AM

Default Best of both Worlds

Drift baits are great to float rivers and I have played with them on smaller lakes as well. They are more comfortable with regards to space and being to stand up to fish while you are floating. There biggest draw back is that your pretty need a area where you can back them up into the water to launch. Although I have used the inflatable rollers and a homemade "cradle/flat dolly"to get my boat into places not normally accessed by a drift boat. You still need a nice wide path to the water body though.

Sold my boat four years ago and bought a Maravia Spider raft. I have two frames for the raft. One is heavy and has a solid floor from front to back. You can walk around the whole boat and fish out of it comfortably. Problem is that the frame makes the raft heavy and not as portable. I did pick up a NRS fishing frame which makes the raft a lot more versatile and portable. It is still comfortable to fish out of, it is a little more difficult to walk around the raft to switch from fishing to rowing.

I have dragged my raft into lots of of water that you don't see a lot of boat traffic besides kayakers. The raft is self bailing and I have gone through class 4 water with it. Storage is weak compared to a drift boat, well there is none you need to invest into a lot of dry bags- I use a couple of roll top bags and a NRS KOSS kitchen.

I just ordered this http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...2&pdeptid=2527 from NRS through Bow River Troutfitters. I think it will give me the best of both worlds. I will keep the raft but I think with this self bailing inflatable drift boat. It will give me a lot of space more a more comfortable float and be able to pack a little more for some multiple day floats
Old 06-20-2013, 08:51 AM

Sweet! Wish they would provide a side view though... Kritofr, do you know if they need to be trailered or how they pack-up?!

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritofr View Post
I just ordered this http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...2&pdeptid=2527 from NRS through Bow River Troutfitters. I think it will give me the best of both worlds. I will keep the raft but I think with this self bailing inflatable drift boat. It will give me a lot of space more a more comfortable float and be able to pack a little more for some multiple day floats
Old 06-20-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Sweet! Wish they would provide a side view though... Kritofr, do you know if they need to be trailered or how they pack-up?!

P
Peter,

They can be packed up. I figure it will be like my raft, once I get things figured out on assembly I should be able to get it together in a hour.

For stuff like the Bow I have a flat deck trailer to get it to the water.

Want to come along for the maiden voyage?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:40 AM

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/

This is a great forum for rafts. If you want a used raft look on Craigslist in Montana and Idaho. Make sure you have an Aluminum frame and don't look at the price tag on Oars. Buy the best ones for you, you need three. Length of Oar is a very important consideration too. Cant beat the NRS frames, you can tailor your frame to your specific needs but keep in mind weight is always an issue when you get into really shallow water. Some say rafts are harder to maneuver but it is really a case of reading the river and oaring as little as possible. If you watch a guy with talent on the oars he looks like he is doing very little to keep line.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:06 AM

Yes please!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kritofr View Post
want to come along for the maiden voyage?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 AM

Kritofr

I saw one of those rafts on display at Lakestream Outfitters in Whitefish. Very cool set up. I was able to lift it up easily, very light. Will be super mobile.

I asked the guy how long to set it up, and he said with a good electric pump and some practice. Less than 30 minutes.

Very cool purchase!

J
Old 06-22-2013, 08:19 AM

Thanks for all the advice and a I think a raft is in my future.