Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 AM

Default Nice Does for the Freezer

This guy was taken yesterday..

If you look, you see the body is in pretty nice, plump shape...and if you think about it, you know what kind of shot took this animal down..
Not a step did the animal take, just straight down and a smokey mouth.

Sausage for sure!

Last edited by Arn?Narn.; 11-07-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:28 AM

maybe pepperoni
Old 11-07-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropsbone View Post
maybe pepperoni
a few pepperonis too!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:30 AM
sheephunter

Good job arn. I put a big fat whitetail in the freezer on the weekend too. Not sure I've ever seen a doe with that much fat on her.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:43 AM

Default Dice

Nice fat doe Arn! That will be some good eats for sure. Don't just do sausage, there is some fine jerky on that animal!

Cam
Old 11-07-2011, 10:46 AM

Congrats on the tender vittles!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Good job arn. I put a big fat whitetail in the freezer on the weekend too. Not sure I've ever seen a doe with that much fat on her.
Wish I could take credit for it, but it is my buddies deer...we throw all our deer together. He got this one with a Savage 99 in 30-30. I love the 30-30, but don't like those rifles. He normally shoots a 300WM, but has so far this season shot 3 deer with the 30-30, none with the 300WM. All open sight shots. If we keep hunting like we are, I may start using mine again this year as well. All opportunities have been less than 100 yrds.

Great for sausahe and jerky and stuff...

We are also in the process of buying a pig or two...so we just might, though highly unlikely, make a bit of sausage ourselves...

The fat was mind boggling....had we not shot him I suspect hew ould have dies of coronary artery disease...lol
Old 11-07-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Our group took a big cow elk earlier in ther year and I have never seen any animal with that much fat the fat of her but was atleast 2 inches thick in some places.......gonna be a cold winter from what the animals are telling us ...and the almanac.

Good job Arn .....head shot?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Banned

Congrats on the deer.

I had to wade in after reading about the amount of fat on the deer. I took a buck and 2 doe up in wmu 501 last week. I've never seen the amount of fat that these deer had on them. I usually wait and take a buck at the end of the month so I just figured that they worked most of it off during the rut. There must have been 10 pounds of fat inside of them. Maybe this is natures way of making up for the cold winter last year.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:21 AM

Congrats
Old 11-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Gone Hunting

I must be missing some pictures. "...this guy..." and "...had we not shot him..."
and "All the fat"

All I see are two pictures of does with their hide on.

Steaks, roasts, stir-fry bits and burger is what I cut any does I shoot into. Sausage is made from big old bucks that may not be as tender and tasty as a doe will be.

A lot of people figure that when you take a deer into a butcher shop they are running deer through in batches and you may not get the deer you brought in. I know a fellow who always waits till there is a doe season on to take his old buck in to be butchered. He figures there is a good chance he will end up with someone else's doe and better eating venison.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 11-07-2011, 11:48 AM

On the other hand, the bull elk we cut up yesterday had ZERO fat on him -- not one ounce. It was like skinning a 700 lb rabbit. Must have lost it all gathering that harem of cow.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-07-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
I must be missing some pictures. "...this guy..." and "...had we not shot him..."
and "All the fat"

All I see are two pictures of does with their hide on.

Steaks, roasts, stir-fry bits and burger is what I cut any does I shoot into. Sausage is made from big old bucks that may not be as tender and tasty as a doe will be.

A lot of people figure that when you take a deer into a butcher shop they are running deer through in batches and you may not get the deer you brought in. I know a fellow who always waits till there is a doe season on to take his old buck in to be butchered. He figures there is a good chance he will end up with someone else's doe and better eating venison.
I will take off the straps, all the rest will be sausage.